Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Introducing the fourth member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Lee (aka Choisty) With Virgin London Marathon Championship qualification as hi...

681 to 700 of 703 messages
18/04/2012 at 09:04
Steve - couldn't agree more - fantastic job by all 5 of them
18/04/2012 at 09:26

Thanks again guys, I am still on a high.

CC2 - don't think it broke as I didn't hear a shatter, but it did spoil the figures!

Oscarr - I made up for it Sunday evening, the first pint went down as Steve said in 5secs, but I still managed to stay the course with a G&T at 2am via champagne, more beer and red wine! Might have another beer on Thursday.

Steve -  don't down play the coaches role, both through the process and on the day, take a look at look at Tom's pics hopefully the one of you and I before the start will be used in the magazine as it shows how good a coach you are in one frame.

Right then two things that have to happen now,

First and foremost all you London Marathon Runners have to be as disciplined as me, stick to the plan, because if I can you can (lets face it until Sunday I have been rubbish).  So post your race plan and we can wish you luck and make sure you stick to it.

Secondly (don't vote for E) I need help...what do I do next?  I have a few idea's, feel free to suggest others

A. An Ultra? The Wall (running hadrians wall) or Round the Isle of Wight

B. A Bob Graham Round...given how I get lost this might be silly

C. Get fast...target 5km's over the summer to hit the national standard (16:45) for the first time

D. Chill, relax for a few weeks

E. Give-up, it's done now, I've nothing to prove

F. Start training for Sub 2:40 at either Boston or London in 2013 when I will be 40

18/04/2012 at 09:51

Just popped in to say 'Congratulations' - am so pleased that you got your goal.  Wasn't sure you'd survive the training given the pace you set off at - so am even more impressed!

My vote is for D, swiftly followed by C (given your affection for going fast!) then by F! 

(oops am I only allowed to vote for 1!)

18/04/2012 at 10:09

Great stuff Lee - well done Sir ! Full marks for your report too

Option G. - Become a professional bottle thrower. Or gain 6 stone and take up darts perhaps ??

18/04/2012 at 10:15

Choisty,

Really enjoyed your race report. i'm staggered that you can remember each mile with such clarity. you must really have been focussed out there.

i would vote for C then F (but adjust the C to be 5ks and 10ks).  don't waste the endurance that you've built up. and then when you're in great 5k and 10k shape at the end of the summer you can then turn back to marathon with fantastic speed in your legs.

My VLM plan is 6:15's to 20 and re-assess (hopefully to be a bit quicker). only problem is my brother is running with me and he's targetting 2:40 so i've got to be very disciplined not to go with him.

18/04/2012 at 10:18

Great report Lee!

I'd vote D, then F. And save A for later when you begin to lose speed but have bags of endurance for the longer distances.

Let me know if you need my email to send the pics to. Or you can find it via my websitw www.sam-murphy.co.uk

DVG
18/04/2012 at 11:18

Congrats Choisty, inspirational stuff.  I will use it as motivation on Sunday and try to keep the pace as even as pos as you recommend.  I too have always been a go out hard and hang on merchant!  Well done, DVG

18/04/2012 at 11:53

DVG, really try it, it works, feels odd until 16/17 when all of a sudden you realise you have the strength whilst those round you suffer.  I was 395th at 5km but finished 190th, I am still blown away by that stat as I go backwards.

GOOD LUCK SUNDAY and ENJOY

18/04/2012 at 15:34
D for 2 weeks, E for the next 10 weeks then F for next year - A and B in 10 years plus, c in 30 years
18/04/2012 at 15:50

Thanks for the votes.  Sleepy Bear, Steve seems to of trumped you by voting for all of them!  But it looks like sound advice and one that I will be taking...as Steve has made me a much better runner.  I was thinking about running the Portsmouth 5km series

Otis - Stick to your plan, but I would be tempted to reassess at halfway (Steve's suggestion to me) as you can speed up by a reletively small amount to make the difference, there is very little to play with at 20miles especially on tired legs.  Avoid your brothers pace at all costs, find a group running at 6:15 and sit in. Good Luck you can do it.

FW - Used to play darts, I was not too bad either, hmmmm could I cope with the training though!

18/04/2012 at 20:00

Lee - F via D and C - good to have the long term goal (F) then you can relax for a while doing faster stuff (C)that you enjoy knowing that it's part of contributing to the grand plan, but only after another "50 days" (D) - is it Boston or London 2013?

Impressed you kept going until 2am - post race euphoria must have played a big part, or was OH holding you up ?????

18/04/2012 at 20:24
Mrs choisty was fantastic, but no it was pure adrenaline nothing was slowing me down Sunday night.

Still undecided Boston or London
18/04/2012 at 23:38

Hi Lee, really nice to meet you again at the weekend and get to know you a bit better. Not only are you a top runner, you are a fantastic, down to earth, enthusiastic guy. It was a real pleasure to meet you (as well as Craig, Emma & Rosie!).  Your detailed report was a great read - you've got a great memory to recall all that. One thing that sticks out is that you are very focused in what you do and the evidence of your sheer joy at achieving you excellent PB (still jumping about like a loony well over an hour after finishing) will stick in mind! Well done mate.

I'm toying more towards London next year to make use of my GFA and also to meet up with the guys from the sub 3.15 thread at last!

Cheers, Colin.

19/04/2012 at 09:46

What I noticed as I was writing the race report, was that while there was a good degree of clarity thanks to the endurance training (Steve is ace), it shifts from the external to internal focus suggesting the distance did become more difficult.

KR  you're right about London its the sensible choice...but Boston the 118th running, so much history

19/04/2012 at 21:56

Lee - I echo what Colin said you are just so focussed it is incredible and your enthusiasm for running is amazing! You are so generous too as you are as supportive of fatty plodders like and and speed demons alike - thank you.

Totally agree with Steve and Sam - speed is something that will reduce much more rapidly than endurance to use that opportunity whilst you have it. Ultras are for the future but so please rest first! Please give your lovely OH a squeeze from me - she is such a lovely woman.

London is sensible - sounds like 3 of you might be doing it so I will try the ballot then - be rude not to!

20/04/2012 at 09:31

Thanks Emma...London does sound fun.

Who's got their London Number???  Let's be having it so we can track you also target would be good so we can go into maths over drive

20/04/2012 at 09:45
Choisty - you almost sound smug !!    "Done mine, now its your turn to be in the spotlight"  Tee hee !!! P.S. don't blame ya !!!
20/04/2012 at 13:17
Oscarr, still smilin'  so could be smug! but I do want to follow everyone and am very excited to watch, might even tempt me out of bed!
21/04/2012 at 12:17
Choisty - if you're up yet, have a look at the home page which has the video of Paris plus a photo gallery - just love photo 5 with Steve drilling last minute instructions to you; can almost hear him saying "don't go off fast, run to the plan!!!" - well, it worked !  REckon you take the prize for biggest smile on the podium.
21/04/2012 at 12:33
Oscarr, that was amazing, there is a picture from just before where I look terrified, which I was! I love the video it brought all the emotion back, amazing day, 16 weeks, amazing.

Good luck London runners, I hope you all reach your goals
681 to 700 of 703 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.