Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Introducing the fourth member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Lee (aka Choisty) With Virgin London Marathon Championship qualification as hi...

81 to 100 of 703 messages
26/12/2011 at 17:01
well done on your parkrun 5k and for also doing the run afterwards - Look forward to seeing how your official first day went but if I did what you did I would need a few extra days off 
26/12/2011 at 17:12
Thanks Steve, I decided to swap today and tomorrow around to better fit with my week, so the first day was completed as a 6ish miler which should of been 7min/mile pace but I ran too hard and it ended up at 6:39 pace still the legs feel great for being out rather than reenacting avatar wars battle sequence with my son.

So tomorrow I will over to greenham common for the tempo run
26/12/2011 at 19:09
Great  Parkrun time Lee and good mileage for the week!
26/12/2011 at 19:21
Sounds like a good run. It's not too important at this stage but will be later when in heavier mileage to ensure you have some easy relaxed days
Edited: 26/12/2011 at 19:21
26/12/2011 at 22:19
Choisty- do you use the track at greenham or are you running around the base.

I also hear there is a parkrun starting at greenham in February.
27/12/2011 at 08:40
I will run around the old runway it is about 3 miles round. I don't think you can get into the track apart from club nights. I like the idea of a park run there, it should be very fast.
27/12/2011 at 10:01
Lee, hope Christmas was good. Really glad that the cardiogram came back ok! Off to PaddyPower to collect my £2:00...
27/12/2011 at 23:02
Thanks Craig, well at lunchtime today I did the tempo session I struggled to get the marathon pace a bit today on the roller coaster of a road that I used. I was running about ten seconds too fast. After I turned to come back at half pace I realsed why, the wind was then into my face, so I struggled and had to push hard to keep the pace going, but I made it. I also received a text from a mate as I was spotted running ******* fast!
27/12/2011 at 23:32
good, strong running again - not a problem going 10 seconds a mile too fast now but important to gradually hone the pacing skills over the coming weeks. Do you check the Garmin sporadically or just at end of run?
28/12/2011 at 11:28
I check the garmin during the run, the only thing is the 610 gives to a predicted time for the lap not the pace you are running poled from the last 15 secs, I may have to look at the settings. I am glad to have marathon pace running as you say this will help me hone this skill.
I am trying to work out a route for today's steady run, as it is very hilly and windy here in the dales!
28/12/2011 at 16:07
I usually prefer having it on average lap pace or average pace overall - the current pace isn't as accurate - if you are say aiming for an average pace of 7 minute miles then it is quite easy to adjust the run to that pace if you are on average overall pace but much harder if it is showing 6:30 on some downhills, 7:30 on uphills or temporarily loses a signal. 
29/12/2011 at 10:06
Well I went out yesterday into the wind tunnel that was the dales. The miles looked like this: 6:35, 6:39, 6:10, 6:31, 5:46, 6:18, 6:37. The first two and last mile were uphill and against the wind and were hard work, in fact at one stage in mile two, I shouted "come on" to the wind in defiance.

Well today's session is much easier on paper than in practice, but I have to admit I am looking forward to it, as the rest of the week is easy. Well apart from I have seen an 8 mile fell race the nine standards on new years day, and I love a good fell race.
29/12/2011 at 10:15
well done on the session - Paris is relatively flat compared to the Dales and should be less windy. - don't see a problem in fitting in the fell race into your training, but run controlled and as long as you don't fell over.
29/12/2011 at 13:09
Hi Choisty. Good news with the ticker and glad to see things have started well. Think Steve's biggest task is going to be reigning you back,looking forward to that smashed PB.
29/12/2011 at 16:00
The wind has died down, relatively, as it is now only force 4-5 and I managed to dodge the rain to complete the session on a flatish part of the dales. A nice start at 7 min mile pace, then after a mile and a half came the acceleration so for fifteen minutes I was running at 5:33 pace, this felt slightly harder than 10k pace but easier then yesterday's wind hindered 6:30 pace. The end came just before the road descended steeply meaning the pace was genuine. I then staggered back at 7:45 pace to stretch, shower, a cup of tea and peas pudding on bread for lunch. I am looking forward to an easy 5 tomorrow when I will endeavour to get lost as I head off road.

I have a cold and have had for 3 or 4 days and it did feel like a was drowning as the pace increased, but the legs are fine. I will see how it goes before I deciede on whether to race or not, it may also depend on new years eve celebrations!
29/12/2011 at 23:20
Very good running again - especially if you weren't 100% - yes make sure you have a well deserved easy day tomorrow
30/12/2011 at 15:55
Todays run was excellent, I ran almost exclusively off road from hudswell down to the river swale then up stream, where I was roundly bleated at by a flock of sheep. The mud was so sloppy and deep even my fell shoes failed to cope, a first, so the downhills were treacherous still the faster you go the easier it is, shame it would be dangerous to look at the garmin! On a positive note the ASICS kit was amazing, I got home warm feeling like I could go for another 15 miles.

I have the route sorted for tomorrow which will be hilly but mostly road with spectacular views, I can't wait...
30/12/2011 at 17:19
Sounds like a  interesting training run  and good that the Asics kit held up well - good to do some runs in the week where it doesn't really matter what speed you run and you can enjoy being out in the fresh air.
31/12/2011 at 17:58
An inspiring run today, run up onto the very northern tip of swaledale. The first 3 miles are all up through Hudswell past the church where I got married, at the top the view opens out so you can see down two valleys, one of which was completely obscured by a curtain on rain inspiring a increase in pace. The run along the valley was uneventful constantly pushing out about 6:35 pace, feeling pretty strong if not fresh. It was then the turn back uphill which slowed the pace as the track got steeper and muddier eventually appear at the top of tank road for a fast run down into Catterick Garrison. Where I got a long fixed stare from a guard. The last mile is tough, it starts with a 12% climb followed by a gradual incline against the wind for the rest all on legs with 13 miles already in them, this slowed the pace again, to complete the 14 miles in 1:34:44 bang the required pace in 6:48, which given the terrain I am pleased with.

Until tomorrow happy new year
31/12/2011 at 19:40
Happy new year - a good end to 2011 - sounds an interesting run - good to hear you tanked down Tank Road!
81 to 100 of 703 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.