Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Introducing the third member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Rosie (aka RosieA) Rosie will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread (starti...

21 to 40 of 1,541 messages
15/12/2011 at 13:01

Rosie,

That would have been a site in the 1st class carriage, big 'luv me' puppy eyes of Dug and he looks so natural sitting there.

I am tempted to do the GSR this year and it'll be my 1st half marathon since the 90's but I plan to hang my football boots up and concentrate on my running again, once injury free.  Also looking at doing the Polariod 10k series, Rouken Glen 10k and the Mens Health 10k again this year as it was fun fitting in 6 10k's in a month not as impressive as your 12 marathons in 12 months or your typical training week.  I'd have thought that maybe you're doing a wee bit too much as your body always needs a rest for the muscles to repair.

Do you use any recovery drinks, after a hard session?

Sleepy Bear, I hope your flat feeling soon dissipates and your back to smiling again, just like in your photo

I've not managed to get out for a run with 'Bree' recently as other things have taken over and unable to fit it in but hopefully will sort things out in the next couple of days as don't want her being a wee podgy dog

15/12/2011 at 13:03

Thanks SNHN and oscarr.

Mssive complaint noted Spoons. I shall endeavour to include imperial units in all future communications .

For now, lunchtime run.. it's bizarrely sunny here just now and don't want to miss it..

15/12/2011 at 13:48
Congratulations Rosie and will see you saturday where I will try and get some marathon tips
15/12/2011 at 15:05
Well done rosie, I will be with choisty asking for the tips!
15/12/2011 at 17:03
Choisty and jelly, I hope you're not hoping for tips from me ! See you Saturday..
Edited: 15/12/2011 at 17:18
15/12/2011 at 17:07
12 in 12, damn right I'm asking for tips
15/12/2011 at 17:17

In case anyone wants to know, a bit of background, plagarised then adapted from KR's thread:

Lives: Edinburgh

Pets: Dug the dog

Occupation: Depends what day it is, but variously: Vet, PhD student, PA to Dug the dog

Running history: Started 2007 as part of recovery from serious illness, first marathon 2008, 2009, brief interlude due to burn injuries, 2011 ran 12 marathons to raise money for Samaritans.

Times:

5K: 22mins (2010) [n=3] (though did 21min something in Birmingham at bootcamp, if that counts!)

10K: 44mins (2010) [n=4]

13.1miles: 1:37 (2010) [n=20+]

26.2miles 3:34.41 (2010) [n=18]

Have run 3:34 or 3:35 a number of times. The current goal is sub 3:30. Realistic?

15/12/2011 at 17:20
Sounds doable Rosie
15/12/2011 at 17:24
I'd be an excellent running partner as your 5 & 10k times are what I'm on at the moment, not sure about the longer distances though
15/12/2011 at 17:28
Paul Gunn 64 wrote (see)

Rosie,

That would have been a site in the 1st class carriage, big 'luv me' puppy eyes of Dug and he looks so natural sitting there.

I am tempted to do the GSR this year and it'll be my 1st half marathon since the 90's but I plan to hang my football boots up and concentrate on my running again, once injury free.  Also looking at doing the Polariod 10k series, Rouken Glen 10k and the Mens Health 10k again this year as it was fun fitting in 6 10k's in a month not as impressive as your 12 marathons in 12 months or your typical training week.  I'd have thought that maybe you're doing a wee bit too much as your body always needs a rest for the muscles to repair.

Do you use any recovery drinks, after a hard session?

Sleepy Bear, I hope your flat feeling soon dissipates and your back to smiling again, just like in your photo

I've not managed to get out for a run with 'Bree' recently as other things have taken over and unable to fit it in but hopefully will sort things out in the next couple of days as don't want her being a wee podgy dog

You're probably right about doing too much. Rest days are a weakness of mine. I'm lucky in that I can run fine the day after a marathon (not trying hard enough in the race??) and as I often run for convenience reasons - to work or when out with the dog, it can be hard to find days when I'm less active. I've probably had less than 10 non-running days over the last two years . Even on those days I often swim or hillwalk. I haven't been injured at all in that time, and don't ever feel burnt out, but do think I'm not doing things efficiently when it comes to training, and am aware there are smarter ways to do things. What do people think?

Re: recovery drinks. Here you may have identified another of my problems with race prep. My nutrition is rubbish! I find it hard to make time to eat and so get a lot of my energy requirements from sports drinks or similar drunk while at my desk/on my way to somewhere. I know improving this might help my running but although I know the theory somehow haven't known where to start..

Dug says Hi to Bree. Do you have a picture?

15/12/2011 at 18:46

There's a dog thread on here. I'll bump it for you so you can show off Dug a bit more

Edited: 15/12/2011 at 18:47
15/12/2011 at 19:09
Little Ninja wrote (see)

There's a dog thread on here. I'll bump it for you so you can show off Dug a bit more

Me, show Dug off?
15/12/2011 at 20:48

Hi Rosie, well done on getting though. 

I'd had similar times to you this time last year (slightly fast HM, slightly slower 10k) and I ran 3:28 in London, so I'd say yes your target is realistic. 

Rosie A wrote (see)

Occupation: Depends what day it is, but variously: Vet, PhD student, PA to Dug the dog

Will you do online consultations? 

15/12/2011 at 20:59
Well done Rosie. Looks to me like your 3.30 aspirations are very realistic - dare I say conservative even??
I'm in Embra too - do most of my running on the bike paths and canal towpath. Maybe see you there sometime...
We've got three large hairy beasts but they make too wide a load so wouldn't run with them
Fraser
15/12/2011 at 21:11

Thanks Spoons, Paul, Minni and Fraser. Encouraging to hear people think 3:30 is doable. I do have a secret (so secret I'm posting it on here) aspiration to go faster, but guess the timescale for that may not be this spring. We'll see. I'm looking forward to finding that out! What sort of training did you do to get your 3:28 Minni? Are you in again for London this year?

I run by the canal sometimes so if you see me do say Hi, Fraser. I'm sometimes found on the bike paths as well but mostly Holyrood or The Meadows. Though I have been tempted by the hill running types, so might be heading Pentland-wards too. So are yours Shepherds? That is a most excellent profile picture.

15/12/2011 at 21:40

Rosie, I ran my first marathon in 2003 in 3:43 and it took 8 years and 8 marathons to finally get under 3.30.   I'd never been a fan of speed and frankly just didn't bother doing it.  I basically just trained through running lots of miles (I love long runs).  I knew I could get under 3:30 if I could just put enough effort in.  I was selected as one of the Forum 6 and was mentored.  I chose the P&D schedule, up to 55m per week, and more or less followed it to the letter.  The mentoring was the motivation I needed to get the sessions done.

I ran 3:28:28 on the day and was thrilled.  It was a massive barrier to break and I've haven't looked back.  I have run pbs in every distance since including a half in 1:32, which I never thought would have been possible.  

Yes, London in the Spring. 

I'm up from your neck of the woods too, but the right side of of the Border.   I did the Meadows half this year and will definitely be signing up for it again in the Spring.   Do you know of any flat 10ks around Edinburgh? 

Oh and I have 2 labs, mother and daughter .  Pup is 8 months... need I say more. 

15/12/2011 at 21:41
Rosie - Well done on getting selected, your personality and attitude shone thru at boot camp. And I can back up that Pb 5k you ran after lunch, I was nearly puking at the back of the pack, now I know why you hardly ate anything for lunch. Looking forward to following this thread over the next few months. Btw I'm the other Simon that didn't get shortlisted.
15/12/2011 at 22:51
Rosie, great result, really pleased for you. I am aiming for a sub 3.30 at London in April so I look forward to seeing your progress and learning from everyone on here .

I am doing a year of racing in 2012, but only 3 marathons !

Check out www.OlympicNick.co.uk for my races.

Cheers.

FH
15/12/2011 at 23:50
Ding Dong Minni-ly on High wrote (see)

Rosie, I ran my first marathon in 2003 in 3:43 and it took 8 years and 8 marathons to finally get under 3.30.   I'd never been a fan of speed and frankly just didn't bother doing it.  I basically just trained through running lots of miles (I love long runs).  I knew I could get under 3:30 if I could just put enough effort in.  I was selected as one of the Forum 6 and was mentored.  I chose the P&D schedule, up to 55m per week, and more or less followed it to the letter.  The mentoring was the motivation I needed to get the sessions done.

I ran 3:28:28 on the day and was thrilled.  It was a massive barrier to break and I've haven't looked back.  I have run pbs in every distance since including a half in 1:32, which I never thought would have been possible.  

Yes, London in the Spring. 

I'm up from your neck of the woods too, but the right side of of the Border.   I did the Meadows half this year and will definitely be signing up for it again in the Spring.   Do you know of any flat 10ks around Edinburgh? 

Oh and I have 2 labs, mother and daughter .  Pup is 8 months... need I say more. 

Flat? What is this flat you speak of?

I know there are 10K's in Musselburgh and Haddington but haven't tried them so not sure how hilly they are. The Meadows half is open already I think (the students are all organised this year!) and they were offering limited places to do it as a full as well, I'm in for it, but not sure I can count that many laps. I struggle to count them as it is!!

Me too for London.

Wow, 8months huh? I do see what you mean! Mine is 5mths so I have that joy to come.. 

Thanks for the heads up about your forum mentoring thread. Will seek it out.  

15/12/2011 at 23:52
Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)
Rosie - Well done on getting selected, your personality and attitude shone thru at boot camp. And I can back up that Pb 5k you ran after lunch, I was nearly puking at the back of the pack, now I know why you hardly ate anything for lunch. Looking forward to following this thread over the next few months. Btw I'm the other Simon that didn't get shortlisted.

Simon! Really sorry you didn't make it through, but great to see you here.

Are you going for sub 3:30 next year too?

21 to 40 of 1,541 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.