Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Introducing the third member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Rosie (aka RosieA) Rosie will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread (starti...

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,541 messages
mcs
06/04/2012 at 23:02
Machine Hellen well done! Amazing pacing and fuelling strategy.........congrats.
Done in tonight five aside footie and hours of shed building....... Might get some of those bottles oscarr though I don't like carrying anything in the hands.....thanks for the tips folks....................what pace is Rosie going out at then??
07/04/2012 at 07:30
Hellen

Amazing, very well done and great report.

mcs your shed building is actually higher in my estimation than any running feats!

I'm going to have to work out what 40-60g carbs translates to in my case.

Can't wait to hear from Rosie.
07/04/2012 at 07:42
Hellen, you not only run fast but you do it with a mobile kitchen and enough food for a small African village! Joking aside your race update was great and you inspire us all, so thanks.

Did my last 12 mile long run yesterday ave pace 8.33, was aiming for 8.45 pace, did a quick 11th mile @ 7.15 to see how strong I felt, and I did feel good !

Rosie how you doing ?

FH
07/04/2012 at 08:43

Hellen - amazing!!! Well done.

I am also interested in pacing for Paris, constantly on my mind at the minute - even splits, a 3 legged approach, just run?!?! My target is 3.43, and I know that if I go off too fast I blew up so thinking slower for first half increasing in second or slower for first 10. faster for next 10 then try uping again for last 10k?? any thoughts?? 

07/04/2012 at 10:14

hellen - whoop whoop - fantastic result!  <jumps up and down>. 

Another thought for Loch Ness that someone told me about before I did it and it proved true - the course has a prevailing tail wind - though that means that when you get to Inverness and turn back on the far side of the river you get to go into it - luckily it was only a slight breeze when I was there - but you might want to consider saving a little something sweet to get you through that last couple of miles... (Oh and the drag upto Dores really isn't as bad as people make out).

Come on mcs - are we not getting a pic of the infamous shed?

Am so happy everyone is running well - I'm taking a few days off to do some longish walks with the OH and dog and so looking forward to my session on Tuesday already! Fresh legs ahoy!

07/04/2012 at 11:56
Anyone looking for a fast Marathon in the autumn there should be another track marathon in Crewe I think first weekend in nov, no details yet
Really enjoyed it last year and didn't get bored with 105.5 laps!
07/04/2012 at 12:16

Hellen well done.  I'm slightly tempted by a track marathon.

Is there any word from Rosie?  

07/04/2012 at 13:24
oscarr wrote (see)
Ruth - this may sound like a silly question but is there a limit to how much carb you can take during a marathon?  Your guide is 25 to 50g per hour but the comments on water (dangerous to drink too much as well as too little) have got me thinking - can you take as much carb as your stomach can handle ?

You can take on a mix of difference carbs (some frustose in this mix) and some will manage to take on as much as 1.2g per kilogram per body mass each hour and it is absorbed fine; so if you weigh 75kg this would be 90g per hour. Certainly in longer events say in the tour cycling events during the latter hours they are likley to be needing this much. But if you take on more than 1-1.2g per kilogram body mass per hour then this is likley to cause problems  with GI distress and absorption problems or just slowing you down to take on that much. You aim is to take on board as little as you need to get you though the race but this level is indivdual but as an average this is between 25-50g for most and for some peopple even as much as 1g per kilogram body mass but often this is only needed for some in the latter hour or so of a race.

Hellen - good fueling because you have found something that works for you but agree a little more fluid would seem to be a postive move.

Not going to get back on Forum until Tuesday to wish all those heading to Paris good luck!

07/04/2012 at 15:40

Hil all,

Still haven't talked to Rosie, but when we met up at the last training day, we discussed trying to start off a little slower, doing the bulk at 8 min miling and then if possible, speeding up over the last 5km

For eg:

5km at 8.10 (25.22)
20 miles at 8 min miling (2 hrs 40)
5km at 7.50 (24.20)

3.29.42 finish. Like all the other strategies, I'm keen to stress that it's nigh on impossible to run 20 straight miles at bang-on 8 min miling but the idea would be to start off a little slower than race pace and finish a little faster. This could work well for Rosie because she tends to start off too fast and then in the late stages of running/racing she often says she 'loses focus' so this would give her a really strong motivtion to stay focused in order to speed up over the final miles.

Just thought I'd share this with you all - will report back when Rosie and I have discussed.

Enjoy your tapering, racing and training this weekend!

07/04/2012 at 17:18
Thanks Sam, think I'm going to follow a similar strategy in Rotterdam. I've been finishing my long runs quite strongly so think im better off going a touch slower at the start.

What's Rosie plan for this week? I was thinking of running Tues, Wed and a couple of miles on Saturday. Does that sound about right?
07/04/2012 at 20:35
Really sorry about that everyone. Unbexpectedly had to do locum cover last week and was expecting to have internet access where I was staying, but didn't. It's been a bit of a horrendous week as ended up with 14 hour days, which, being a bit of a slacker work wise I'm not used to. That's finished now though and will be posting every day this week I expect as have booked some days off to recover. Am just about to catch up on everything on here. Back shortly!! 
07/04/2012 at 20:39

Hi Sam, sorry for being so absent this week, was working crazy crazy hours on this locum, finally got home this morning then fell asleep. oops!

Yes, really keen to discuss pacing. Psychologically I really struggle to run slow at the start. In my head I know banking miles doesn't work but when it comes to it I really struggle to start slow. Starting 10s over MP scares me, but happy to try it if you think best?

The 8:10 then 8:00 then 7:50 is interesting. What's the advantage to that of starting at MP?

Thanks!

07/04/2012 at 21:01

Tim, I did Loch Ness in 2009 and loved it. It remains one of my favourites having done nearly 20 marathons. The hills the in the first third are tough though. Good For me as it stopped me going out too hard and I got a PB there. The scenery in parts is amazing and the local support is very friendly.

Sam, that’s really interesting about only processing 20-60g of carbs per hour. How does that translate to sports drink intake (having cold turkeyed off sports drinks while trying to improve my diet I’m planning to practice with powerade this week). Ie how much sports drink is 20-60g carbs? (Sorry, I can probably work that out myself when my brain isn’t so tired!). Do you recommend drinking by how I feel with powerade on the day or making a plan?

Some amazing times by everyone, really impressed! Was very sorry to miss those of you I didn’t see at Reading last week. My friend had to drop out due to injury so as I was running it slow with them the 6hours plus travel either way gave way to an emergency locum job. I ran 13 miles late that night though, actually at slow pace! [Admittedly partly because I was so tired after work, the pace was welcome and didn’t struggle with slow at all, kept to 9-9.15 min miles the whole way]!!

This week’s training has been really tough, almost all completed before 0600 or after 2300, which although I know is normal for some of you guys (I have no idea how you do it!) was tough psychologically. Eating has been super tough this week too as breaks were elusive. Managed with a supply of nuts though, which was a suggestion Ruth (and SB) made which has been really helpful. Have a supply of nuts and dried fruit in the changing room at work, so did eat most days. One day I didn’t get a break long enough for 12 hours though, which although I used to not eat for those periods regularly, I now seem to struggle with. I suppose that’s good in a way, as it seems like I’ve got used to eating more regularly, but on the day I really struggled. Although not as physical as some I’m constantly on my feet in the job I was doing, with regular lifting, crouching down, restraining big animals, I really felt it with the not eating. Glad to have more free time this week, as it has been a bit of a lesson in what a difference regular eating makes.  

Another thing that’s making things tough psychologically is that a close relative is listed for bypass surgery this Tuesday (angioplasty last week seems to have failed). I know some of you are experiencing similar stuff just now. Running to an extent is an escape for me when things are hard psychologically, but when time is very pressured too like this week it’s been a struggle to juggle everything. I’ve run on all the allotted days but Tuesday, Weds my pacing was all over the place. I think it was a combination of extreme tiredness (not used to 14 hour days!), running in the dark in an area I don’t know well, and wanting to be with family (who unfortunately all live in Southern England).  Oh dear. Fingers crossed Tuesday is ok.

Edited: 07/04/2012 at 21:02
mcs
07/04/2012 at 21:23
Blimey Rosie that's a he'll of a week! Respect. All the best for a quieter week and rest up abit. Hope you get well paid.
Shed piccie to follow SB! Need to charge camera and now sleep before seventeen in the am!
07/04/2012 at 22:55
A hectic week for you Rosie and good to know you've still been able to keep up the running under tough conditions, so hope this coming week goes well with a bit of rest and normal hours! Hoep everything goes well for your relative. See you next weekend.
08/04/2012 at 07:21
Figures crossed for you over the coming week and see you at the weekend. Take care and get some rest if you can.
08/04/2012 at 08:17
Rosie you are a legend for training at those times, especially the late late runs would be impossible for me, and it's brilliant your body now expects food. I work shifts and anything can happen so I always carry soya nuts and oatcakes at the very least.

Hope all goes well with the bypass on Tuesday.

It sounds ideal having a few days off now to rest and recover, to get set for Paris.

I knew you'd struggle with the concept of starting slower than marathon pace, as i would!

But you then cited an example where it worked, and I have a very recent one also! It is just sooo counter intuitive, but I would seriously listen to Sam on this one. The stepping up as you go idea does give that focus as well, punctuates the event to dispel those wildness miles when randomness can set in.

The more I learn here the more sense it makes to be mindful but not rigid.

08/04/2012 at 09:01

Hey Rosie - think everyone has expressed my thoughts already so ditto from me to all the above.  Glad you've made it through ok - hope this week turns out to be less draining.  And glad you're finding the bits 'n' bob tub helps.

Are you getting excited or too tired just yet to process the fact that next week is nearly here?

Happy Easter

mcs
08/04/2012 at 09:17
17 miler done. Enjoy a restful few days and have a wonderful time in Paris rosie and gang.
08/04/2012 at 09:26

Morning

12 miles for me yesterday morning - avg pace 7:59 including warm up and cool down, felt good. Still undecided on my Marathon pacing plan.....need a spreadsheet to work out breakdown like Sam's approach.

Rest of day spent in hospitals as my youngest broke her arm on an Easter Egg hunt. Result very little sleep and very poor diet (for all of us!) - staying overnight in hospital. Now waiting to hear if she needs an operation - could blow my marathon out of the water depending what happens. Poot little thing in lots of pain,   Suddenly the marathon and pacing doesn't seem all that important though....

Rosie - amazing to keep training when working so hard, well done.

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,541 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.