Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Andy (sub-4:00)

Follow the progress of AndyV live in the forums as he prepares to run a sub-4:00 marathon under the guidance of mentor Steve Smythe

1 to 20 of 2,591 messages
18/12/2009 at 11:02

Introducing the third member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six… Andy (aka AndyV).

Andy's only been running a year but is now gearing up for his first attempt at the big one, and hoping to go sub-4:00 to boot.

Andy will be using our sub-4:00 Garmin-ready schedule (devised by former London Marathon winner Mike Gratton) as a basis for his training and will be mentored by Steve Smythe directly on this thread (starting January 4).

He’ll be posting his training progress and be receiving fuel and hydration advice directly from the Lucozade Sport sports scientists live on this thread so make sure you check back regularly to find out how he gets on.

You can read more about Andy's running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Andy!

Edited: 18/12/2009 at 11:08
18/12/2009 at 11:11
Yeah good luck, I ducked under 4 hours in my first London, it was fantastic, I'm sure you'll do it!!
18/12/2009 at 11:19
Cheers Mr P. Still on a high at being selected. Looking forward to your imput over the next four or so months. I'm gonna need it!
18/12/2009 at 13:03

Well if I don't do it in 2010 then I'm giving up marathon running.

Good luck Andy. No pressure

18/12/2009 at 13:25
fat face wrote (see)

Well if I don't do it in 2010 then I'm giving up marathon running.

Oi, none of that  or you get a Paddington Extra Hard Stare, you'll both storm over that finish line together.  Good luck both of you

18/12/2009 at 15:11

Hi everyone

I have every confidence in Andy as long as he doesn't do a fatface and get injured weeks before while in great shape! Hopefully both Andy and fatface will sail inside 4 together in April.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/12/2009 at 15:23
of course they will!!
18/12/2009 at 15:51

Damn right VLM 2010 Bring it on

See you at the finish line Fatface    (or more likely...get me a beer in for when i finally catch you up)

Isn't it easy being confident when you've just had your lardy work xmas lunch two weeks before the hard work really starts!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/12/2009 at 15:52
you're allowed a lardy lunch now, in 2 weeks you won't be allowed it!
18/12/2009 at 15:57
What do you mean 2 weeks before the work really starts? Where's your pre-schedule schedule?
18/12/2009 at 17:24

Beer and mince pies

Running wise I'm used to doing three runs a week of varying length up to 10k. Have done more (and longer distances in the past up to HM) but am not taking part in an event until March (Reading HM).  I have tried to increase this to 4 this week (in prep for the schedule) but the snow and ice have prevented me doing the 4th this morning grrrrrr.  Might try and fit in a cheeky 5k in the gym now before getting kids to bed.

I'll fill in more tonight (or over the weekend) peeps

Cheers for now 

18/12/2009 at 17:32

Agreed a lardy lunch (or two) are allowed until December 25 and then the pre schedule could start in the style of a former Today's Runner-type schedule of a 26 mile run at 8:45 miling on Boxing Day...or maybe that can wait until April...

Am thinking it would be an idea to find some more races before Reading to see your racing shape is progressing - they don't have to be big races or taken too seriously but I think it breaks the training up a little and reveals more than training does.

18/12/2009 at 17:39

Good luck with it Andy,i  ran London last year my 1st marathon got round in 3 .57 ,its not easy mate but you will find everyone on the forums will support you loads over the next few hard mths!

Just enjoy it mate you will be amazed hoe much it changes your perspective on stuff !!

18/12/2009 at 18:20

Good luck Andy...I'll be training along side you for the Paris marathon and probably lurking on your thread a bit.  I'm really envious of your being selected for this....your memories of your first VLM will be amazing.

As fat face said, no pressure.

18/12/2009 at 19:56
Listen here mini-me, like I said the other week, you're going to come round the corner by the Palace, see the 26 mile marker (cunningly disguised as "385 yds to go") and then you'll see the clock over the finish line starting with 3h4xmxxs........
18/12/2009 at 21:14
Lincoln Gooner: 3:57 this year in the heat. Awesome buddy must have felt great when you finished. That is my goal exactly for VLM 2010. Anyway welcome to the thread look forward to sharing the experience with you.
18/12/2009 at 21:17
Lake: Welcome and thanks for contributing on this thread. i know I'm very fortunate and am really going to make the most of this opportunity. Looking forward to your contributions over the next few months. Doing Paris is pretty cool. How many marathons have you done?. I'm guessing (but not assuming) that your not a newbee like me
18/12/2009 at 21:21

Steve (Coach): Thanks for your input already. Means alot fella. I think your right about entering more events. I'll do abit of research and try and find some local small ones.

Additionally i'm already thinking about March time and thinking with Reading and Dorney on consecutive sundays (both HM's) I may need to tweak the official schedule to bring forward some longer runs. Anyway plenty of time to worry about that later i guess. For now..as I say... thanks for getting involved already .

Cheers AndyV 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/12/2009 at 21:41

Andy mate ... the day after the Twickers thing is the Goring 10k.... I know you will be miles ahead of me but wanna join me?

Go on! You know you want to!

18/12/2009 at 21:53
yeah I'll give it some thought EP. I need to work out things in line with schedule and check in with Steve. Thanks for the heads up though. 
1 to 20 of 2,591 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.