Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Follow the progress of just back from a run, our sub-3:00 hopeful, as she receives expert advice from mentor Paul Evans

81 to 100 of 2,037 messages
24/12/2009 at 06:52
just back from a run wrote (see)

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up"

A quote from the VLM newsletter that I liked...

Love that.

24/12/2009 at 11:20

JBFAR, just picked up on this thread. Good luck with your goal. I will be following them with great interest as my background/marathon PB is very similar to yours, & my goal is sub3 (2.59.59 will be sufficient!).

Hope you enjoy the Round the Lake, it's organised by my club (Poole AC), although unfortunately due to family Christmas commitments I can neither run nor help out. It's sold out though for the first time so there'll be a good crowd there. As Marigold said it's 'warming' up here so hopefully it'll be ice free. Nice flat course too so good for a PB.

Just going out for a 9miler. Have a good Christmas everybody.

24/12/2009 at 13:12

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!!

Hi Scrufmeister- Thanks- I used to go to Poole AC..wonder if i know you!  it's great that it's sold out- there's usually entries on the day isn't there?  glad its warming up down there

Thanks Wardi- am sure i'll enjoy the journey along with the pain!

Gareth: Haven’t experimented yet with the products but will do and let you know- think ill be starting with the gels and water and see how i go

Edited: 24/12/2009 at 13:13
26/12/2009 at 07:50

JBFAR - Good luck today with your Round the Lakes 10k. Work hard on the slight incline out of the park and be prepared to lap people on your 2 - 3rd lap. Its a great race I wish I was there....I'm off for a 10 miler with 5 miles at tempo.

Let us all know how you get on....

26/12/2009 at 09:14

Hi TS17.  I think you've confused the Round the Lakes with the Poole 10k, which is the one with the incline isn't it?  I've done RTL a few times and it's just round and round and round the one lake and finishes by going round the outside of the cricket pitch  It's definitely one for a pb if the weather is kind and you're in shape for it, but if it's icy it can be a bit difficult under foot and if it's windy it's horrid.  Hope it's none of those today.

Look forward to read how you get on JBFAR.

I've had an awful sore throat that turned into an annoying cough over the last few days, so a bit under the weather.  I continued to train, but kept it all easy.  I was supposed to be racing a 10k myself tomorrow, but don't think I will due to the above and don't quite feel in shape to do so at the moment.

26/12/2009 at 12:53

Hi Hilly - Sorry to hear about your sore throat and cough, I have just got over a few days of a tummy upset which stopped me training. Just back from a hilly 13 miler in just under 90 mins. Going to smash a some mile reps out tomorrow. Next goal is the Stubbington 10 k in a few weeks. I want to try and get a low 37 mins. Then into marathon training for London....

Whats your next goal Hilly?

I have never done the Poole 10 k but have done round the lakes a few times now. I am probably over estimating the incline, but I'm sure it is up hill.... The bit I'm talking about is - from the start on the main road through the park, opposite the cricket pavilion, you head as if you are leaving the park with the lake on your left. Then at the very top you come to a T junction and turn left (right takes you into the town centre). I am sure that bit of the loop is slightly up hill....

26/12/2009 at 18:35
JBFAR - good luck with this. Very exciting opportunity  for you and from what I have picked up it should be an achieveable, if challenging,  target.  I am also targeting sub 3 at VLM if I can get into that kind of shape (3:09 last time) so will  be following with interest.  Hope you had a good run today.
26/12/2009 at 19:07

TS17 - you could be right about it being a mild incline.  I guess living in West Yorkshire now the hills around here are like mini mountains and it's the only area where the 10ks are like doing on road fell races!

My next target is Brass Monkey half at the end of Jan.  Not expecting much due to not training too good in the last few months.  Then I'm aiming for a flat 10 mile at the end of Feb, which is where I hope to run well, then I'm doing Llanelli marathon this year instead of London.

27/12/2009 at 08:22

How did the 10k go yesterday Christina?

Why Llanelli Hilly? Will BR do this one as well? Doing the BM myself but not expecting to be in pb shape either, feel very 'ploddy' at the minute - like I could run easy miles all day but I don't feel 'sharp' at all. Would the 10 miler be Snake Lane? The is a nice one at St Annes in March that I have opted for instead, simply because I have done SL 4 years on the trot now!

27/12/2009 at 09:16

Happy Christmas and Boxing day everyone!  Hope you had a good one.

The Boxing day 10k went OK considering.   I haven't seen any official times yet but my watch said 39.59!  so I got sub 40 which I wanted (by seconds).  From the outset my legs felt very tired and I just had no strength and speed in them, people who I would usually be in front of ,were in front of me.  I have figured that I can't be too dissapointed though as I have really just started my training again and not done any tempo work.

They had changed the course this year as I don't think the organisers were allowed to use any roads so it was 4 times round the lake and the cricket pitch. This meant they didnt have that incline that you are talking about Tony.  It was a fast course but the second half was tricky as it was lapping lots of people.  it was quite a windie course and sometimes difficult to get a pace as had to slow down a bit at corners.  Conditions were great though.

So all in all it was good to see where I am at now.  I hope if I do another 10k at the end of Jan I would have more strength and speed in my legs to get closer to my PB. 

Hilly  Hope you get better soon- have you decided not to race today?  Is BR doing it?  Best of luck if you or BR are

Tony I didnt get an entry into stubbington unfortunately- you have to be quick off the mark for that one huh!

Golden Eagle  What program are you following to get sub 3 next year?

Sue C  Its difficult if you are doing lots of miles to feel sharp isn,t  it?  Thats how I felt in the 10k- Im looking forward to doing more tempo stuff int he new year

Am going to go for a run later- still down in Poole so an nice flat run around the seafront will be good.

27/12/2009 at 10:08
JBFAR - That's still a very good time. We have just arrived at Poole to visit my parents. Sat in a coffee shop typing this. You might still be able to get a place at stubby, I know Winchester normally have club places and I could ask about if there are any spare places going at my club, let me know.

Have a nice recovery jog today. I have still to run today, will do my miles reps later along the old railway line in blandford.
27/12/2009 at 15:52

Well done FBFAR.  A better time than I ran today.  So in answer to your question yes I did.  Not sure it was the right thing to do, but we had a team in the Northern championships and even with running poor I was able to help them secure a bronze medal.

Sue C - I really didn't want to do London again after last year's scrum on the championship start.  Before they changed it to be with the men it was really good, but since moving it, it now has no 'special' feel to it.  I don't really like mass races and find around the 3 hour mark in London it's a very busy bargy place to be.  I'm doing both BM and SL.  Hope to be well and in better shape by BM and even better shape by SL.

27/12/2009 at 19:58

Hi Christina,

Hope you had a good christmas, and how did the race go on Boxing day ?

Paul E

27/12/2009 at 20:01
With attention to detail like that you're on a winner jbfar!
Edited: 27/12/2009 at 20:01
27/12/2009 at 20:15

Sorry Christina

That is what you get when you do not read previous postings ,sub 40min, that's a good time !

We have 16 x weeks to get you in sub 3hr shape, this is a good bench mark, take the next couple of day easy running before you go on you holiday, then come back rested and raring to go! 

Enjoy your hols

27/12/2009 at 21:49

Nice effort Christina.

Yes I did the Ribble Valley 10k in 34:24 - not particularly great but it's a marker, like your 39:59.  Lots of work to do to get down to 2:40 shape.

Paul - what are the main factors needed to get JBFAR into sub-3 shape in the next 16 weeks?

TR
27/12/2009 at 21:59

Christina - nice one on the sub40. It shows that you have some leg speed, most folks say that you need to be able to do 38 mins - ish for a sub3, but I'm not sure cos I dont do 10ks.

No bad thing missing out on stubbington, You'll be better off putting in a long run than racing a 10k. In your shoes i'd be working on increasing my running endurance.

did Deano do the 10k too ?

28/12/2009 at 14:21

Good work on the Round the Lakes JBFAR. You are within seconds of my most recent 10k time, & with the same ultimate goal at VLM I'd be interested to know what your trainign schedule is like? Are you using an off the shelf programme or customised to suit? Maybe Paul can give us an insight?

Cheers

28/12/2009 at 14:23
Just looked at your home page, & I see you're using the Garmin sub3 schedule. Any tweaks or are you following it to the letter?
28/12/2009 at 14:36
JBFAR - nice 10k there. that's a good starting point I think. It would be pretty dull if you were already knocking out sub 38 10ks.

My programme is quite simple. 3 key sessions + 2 easy/steady runs of 5-6m around them. The key sessions are:

1. LSR (17-24m but usually 20). Last 7m run faster - speeding up to marathon effort for last few.
2. 10m at marathon effort (measured with an eye to HR). Currently coming out at just over 7m/m.
3. Either at tempo intervals session (6x 1k with 200m jog recoveries) or a straight tempo run at 6:40ish pace (5m or so)

Works out at 40 - 45mpw depending on whether I do 1 or 2 easy runs. This got me 3:09 at FLM in April 09 (15min PB) . Not sure it is enough for sub 3 though. We'll have to see.
81 to 100 of 2,037 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.