Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Follow the progress of just back from a run, our sub-3:00 hopeful, as she receives expert advice from mentor Paul Evans

141 to 160 of 1,983 messages
30/12/2009 at 17:30

Tony - I thought one of the points of having a thread like this was so we could comment / analyse and comment critically on the schedule being followed in relation to the individual athlete's needs.  It would be a pretty anodyne thread if all people said were `well done you' or `you're so fast' or `good luck'.  Whilst these things are great encouragement on a project like this, the fact that this is a public thread is that training is up for debate and discussion.

It's good you've had success following the same plan as JBFAR, which is a positive.  In my experience men in general can get away with fewer miles than women in aiming for a sub-3, but there are always the exceptions.  Tracey Morris got down to 2:33 off not much more than 60mpw, so it also depends on natural ability and fitness background the athlete has.

I agree it is best to let the coach / mentor tackle the issue of how best to tackle the training, but if RW did not want an open discussion then it would be an email discussion or a thread where only certain people had posting access.  Not seen that before and not read any previous threads like these where comment and analysis of the training was not welcomed.

30/12/2009 at 18:08

BR - I knew this would happen, its very difficult to say what you mean on forums as such.... all I was trying to put across that the schedule does work. i.e addressing the other side of the discussion, which up to now seems to be very one sided.

I was just thinking that if I was in JBFAR shoes and about embark on a massive goal, how confident I would be with training schedule if all that was posted was negative about it and I had yet to start it!

As I said in my previous post

This post is in no way meant to be offensive or as it says at the bottom I am not trying to slam anyone. I just feel we should let her coach tackle the difficult subject of what is the best course of action regarding the training. All of the advice and experiences from everyone else will no doubt motivate JBFAR and others who are looking for a successful VLM.

I have gained so much great advice and info from the likes of you and Hilly. The majority of it has improved my running no end. So in answer to your questions yes it is an open forum, were comment and analysis is key to its success, which I look forward to over the next few months.

Time to put the keyboard down.... of to the club to smash out some k reps.... 

30/12/2009 at 18:23

I don't feel slammed in any way Tony

There has already been discussion about JBFAR adding second runs to the schedule, so there is already a realisation that the schedule as it stands may need some tweaking.  Liz Yelling has done the same for her mentee on the sub 3:15 challenge thread.

This will be a really interesting thread as someone with an excellent multi-sport fitness base tries to convert that fitness into marathon specific fitness.

30/12/2009 at 18:23

Christina states ... 

hold the Guinness World Record for Fastest Marathon Dressed as a Super Heroine (3:13, London Marathon 2008

i hate to be a pain in the rear end .... ( after all i don't understand running ) but, may i say, 13 minutes is a hell of a chunk, it's 30 seconds faster  EVERY mile, get a mile wrong, and it makes it more to produce

There's going to have to be some real serious, physical and mental stamina focus or am i wrong, plus it's all on the day

can't find it right now but there's a comment that HILLY came out with back a bit , which should make people think seriously hard

Paul Evans will acess everything and monitor everything obviously, but come close to the time say ??last 8 weeks

the preperation will need to be stuck to rigerously

BTW, I ain't trying to be patronising either

i have mailed her .. send our very best wishes 

30/12/2009 at 18:43
 13 mins is a big chunk but that was 2 years ago? JBFRA's shorter distance PB's to me indicate definate sub 3 potential subject to endurance. Surely the Ironman won't have done her endurance any harm? The Boxing day sub 40 10k seems a good starting point and although I dont know JBFRA'S background women tend to convert better than men at marathon and some would argue that men dont have much of a genetic advantage over 26.2 but there are not enough women running marathons seriously to prove this as they dont have time to train properly due to cooking and cleaning......   
30/12/2009 at 18:52

Hang on..

i thought the men now a days do all cooking and cleaning

yes.SF,  i hope the ironman endurance holds the key

30/12/2009 at 19:17
You're probably right Mick, I was expecting a backlash off at least one but they haven't finished washing up yet.
30/12/2009 at 19:24

Hi Christina,

I hope you have had a good Christmas. Is sounds like you had a good run on Boxing Day? I definately ate way to much for X-mas dinner to even consider any exercise! Do you have a races/training planned for new years day?!

30/12/2009 at 19:26

I was sat here LMAO when i read that !!

going back to the marathon though

although part of Abingdon is twice on that bumpy path now - but also even on the old course

my PB pushing Phil is Abingdon in 4:03, and twice now i've been on for sub 4, and started losing it with  4, 3, 2 & 1 to go,

with ALL my expereince i could not hold it

So lets all hope and pray that Christina will be nice and positive but not compleceant

i'm sure she do well

30/12/2009 at 19:40

yes i know - i know what your saying

i have thought all this out

I might get on chair one day, and let phil or some one push us or me

good luck with yours EP

BTW, are you Exil Pixie from Ashby area ??

30/12/2009 at 19:49

last time i spoke to you was - ??

the day we were spectating Ashby- you was on your bike

my migraine was to bad for 20 -HM might of been tolerable

The one and ONLY Evil Pixie ahh !! 

30/12/2009 at 19:56

You make me laugh

Have the time of your life with that SUPER SIX  ahh

31/12/2009 at 06:27

We'll make sure she does, Mick

Shadow Face wrote (see)
You're probably right Mick, I was expecting a backlash off at least one but they haven't finished washing up yet.

Token backlash

31/12/2009 at 07:25

I'd  'finished' the washing up too. I'd left it to 'soak', covered it up with a tea towel and walked away.

Just like a man.

31/12/2009 at 09:06

Has JBFAR gone on holiday?

Does the mentoring start on 4th Jan?

Lucozade sport scientist - what is your role in the process?  Is it just hydration advice or full nutrition advice and will advice be given on these threads to the mentees so that others can have access to the information?

31/12/2009 at 09:30
Happy new year to you JBFAR!
31/12/2009 at 10:41

Hi Christina

Congratulations on getting selected. All the best for your training. I'm at WADAC too and got a club place for VLM and am trying for the 3rd time to break 3 hours so hopefully we can spur each other on at training. Well done on Boxing Day - the speedier stuff is very painful at the moment isn't it? See you at Bramley if not before.

31/12/2009 at 16:30

Bramley 10 / 20 is a most super event

specially in terms of pre VLM warm up-

In my opinion- and thats all it is ... 

if one is not accustomed to Marathon distance

The 10 miles isn't really long enough at that time for pre marathon

The 20 miles is good for that, BUT, i'd certainly be careful about using to much excessive energy .. not racing it !! 

31/12/2009 at 20:38
Happy New Year Christina x
01/01/2010 at 14:26
Happy new year everyone! Yes I'm on holiday for a week which is why I haven't been on much unfortunately. I'm ticking over but can only do treadmill sessions whilst away, and some swimming. Hopefully I will not lose any miles in my legs as I need them and more!
Thanks for all the comments , I will have more time to go through them when I get home. I am concerned myself about the amount of miles in the schedule and am hoping Paul will monitor my progression and advise when I can start doing 2 runs a day, I want to be at the start line in April knowing that I have done all the preparation I could possibly do to achieve 2.59.59!
Will write again when I can, but in the meantime roll on 2010
141 to 160 of 1,983 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.