Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Follow the progress of just back from a run, our sub-3:00 hopeful, as she receives expert advice from mentor Paul Evans

161 to 180 of 1,983 messages
01/01/2010 at 18:55

Hi Christina

Happy new year !

I have emailed you though your training schedule for January, lets see how January goes, before makeing a decision on doubling up on certain days!

hope you are enjoying your holiday , don't worry if you can not get the quality workouts on holiday,the hardwork starts when you get home, a few easy days will not do you any harm!

Enjoy

Paul E

01/01/2010 at 19:12

Hi Christina,

Just picked up on this thread and will be looking forward to following your journey towards achieving your sub-3 Goal at th VLM.

I may well be running next to you as I also have a Championship place for the London and want to run Sub-3!

I should have ran in the Wymondham 10k this morning, but is was cancelled due to the bad weather - ended up running 15-miles in the snow, which was probably harder that a 10k!!

Good luck for the New Year and enjoy your running!

01/01/2010 at 19:59

JBFAR - I do quite a few runs on the treadmill, which personally I think is good for the legs.  I'm sure you won't lost any fitness.  Do you normally run every day?

Hi Nifty & Swifty.  Good luck with your sub 3 training.  I too am back on the sub 3 wagon, but not doing London this year.  I'm going to Llanelli instead as I just fancy a smaller, less crowded one.

02/01/2010 at 14:43

Thought this thread needed pushing back up near the top to keep the discussions going.

JBFAR - now you've received the training plan for the first month, are you happier with the amount of miles in it and how does it differ from the original one?

Edited: 02/01/2010 at 14:43
02/01/2010 at 21:40
just back from a run wrote (see)
Happy new year everyone! Yes I'm on holiday for a week which is why I haven't been on much unfortunately. Will write again when I can, but in the meantime roll on 2010

Hope the holiday is going well JBFAR, enjoy the break and I hope you get cracking on with the schedule come Monday. Hope things go well for you with Paul as your mentor and crossed fingers for April 25th.
03/01/2010 at 12:34
So schedules start tommorow! I'll be doing Monday and Tuesday on a treadmill then Wednesday I travel back so can't train so will take Wednesday as my rest day this week .
I Have been doing some interesting Reading whilst on holiday, between Reading the twilight series ( addictive vampire books) I have been Reading advanced marathoning by pete pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. It concentrates on sports science theories
 of marathon running.  It's been an interesting read and hopefully I can use some of the science in training

Paul: I can't access attachments until thursday unfortunately but will log on then and look at the schedule! Very exciting. Thank you for that.

Good luck for tomorrow to anyone else who is undertaking the rw schedules- looking forward to hearing all.
Edited: 03/01/2010 at 12:40
03/01/2010 at 12:39

Hi Christina

Good to see you back and hope you had a good Christmas.  I've just finished the first of the Twilight books and it really was the history of glue - couldn't put it down!

Good luck with your training.  Here's to tomorrow!

03/01/2010 at 21:45

Swinging by to say good luck for the start of the fun.

Not that you'll need it though!! When you get over the line under 3, can you start the party at the pub? Mine's a cuppa...

04/01/2010 at 11:45

Good to see you have been reading a sport science book! Did you get any good nutritional information from it? When you get your training programme from Paul could you forward it onto me please. Thanks.

04/01/2010 at 11:51
Gareth Turner - Lucozade Sport Scientist wrote (see)

Good to see you have been reading a sport science book! Did you get any good nutritional information from it? .

Gareth - one thing I've picked up from the sub 3 thread is the "Aussie 3min" method here and I've used it for FLM 09 and a HM and I was wondering what your views on it were? Have you ever come across it before?
04/01/2010 at 13:12
 Even if it works is it really worth the injury risk! I wouldn't go near it.
04/01/2010 at 14:15
I've done it twice and had no worries - we do speed sessions in the form of 800m reps or Yassos so why not do one the day before? Plenty have done it on the sub 3 thread and if going flat out for 3mins plus stuffing your face straightaway can mean the difference between hitting the wall or not hitting the wall I'm prepared to keep doing it.
04/01/2010 at 14:28
Why would anyone listen to an Aussie? So how did the last few miles go at FLM 09? Most people don't do speed sessions the day before a target marathon. Even if many have tried how do they know this helped as opposed to the last few months of hard training? Obviously it is unlikely this will result in an injury but there is always a risk and it's so close to the big day it seems madness for the hope of saving 2/3 minutes. The Aussies can keep it. 
04/01/2010 at 14:34
Shadow Face wrote (see)
So how did the last few miles go at FLM 09?
Surprisingly well compared to my previous 2 marathons. I didn't feel as though it was a lack of nutrition as I got bored of taking on carbs towards the end and it was the heat I felt that did for me. I can't pinpoint the 3min flat out method as being the reason that I felt better in the final few miles but I won't discount it especially as better runners than me on the sub 3 thread do it as well. We're talking about a peer-reviewed published scientific paper here not some crazy internet loon spouting nonsense.
Even during my cycling days, going out the day before a big race and doing a few maximal sprints during an easy hour's ride would help to "open up" the system and keep the muscles fresh. I've had a chat with the Danish elite cyclo-cross champion this year and he does a similar method before his big races.
04/01/2010 at 14:37
I think most peoples 2nd and 3rd maras should be better then their first. They can still keep it. I doubt it's on your schedule.
04/01/2010 at 14:45
Shadow Face wrote (see)
I think most peoples 2nd and 3rd maras should be better then their first. They can still keep it. I doubt it's on your schedule.

It's not but this is why I am asking the question to the sports scientists now as I would like their opinion and also Liz's on this. If they reckon its a no no or they've never done it personally then fairy-dos but a bit of debate is what this is about isn't it?
04/01/2010 at 15:04

I thought I was debating on behalf of the don't do it side.. I agree I would like to hear the sports scientists and the mentors view but my point is for me it's not worth it, I not saying people who do it are wrong at all. Your point about those on the sub 3 forum doing it does not sell it for me. Speed and common sense are not linked. Disclaimer: not saying those on that forum have no common sense, well maybe one. 

04/01/2010 at 15:42
Thanks for the link. I'm not familiar with this method but it looks very interesting. I'm going to look into it and will get back to you over the next couple of days.
04/01/2010 at 15:49

First day, first run achieved at a little under what was called for. So I'm ahead of schedule & ahead of Abo training last year. Maybe I should quit now while I'm ahead? Did a race New Yrs Day & knocked a useful 33secs off last yrs time so in a happy place, although have booked a physio appt Fri for a niggling knee.

JBFAR, how's the treadmill? I trained for a HM once on a treadmill for 5wks. Was I BORED by the end of it.

I like the look of the Bramley 20 mentioned earlier. Will prob give that a go instead of a more local 10miler.

Hope everybody's first day was a successful one.

04/01/2010 at 16:16
I did the aussie thing pre FLM09 MM and SF - did it the Friday though rather than Saturday.  Absolutely PIGGED out immediately afterwards.  Wonderful scenes 
161 to 180 of 1,983 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.