Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Follow the progress of Hashette live in the forums as she prepares to run a sub-4:30 marathon under the guidance of mentor Liz Yelling

81 to 100 of 4,380 messages
22/12/2009 at 17:18
Hi Vicky, hi all, I just wanted to drop in on your thread before Christmas and make sure you don't have any festive nutritional challenges that need solving?!Your motivation to squeeze in runs between all your commitments is great, especially given the conditions!I also notice that you had a good result at the Bedford half, you must be pleased!  I’d be interested to hear about your nutritional strategy for this one, did you do anything different?  Did you try any recovery product?In the meantime have a lovely Christmas and enjoy a well earned breakEmma
22/12/2009 at 17:46

Hi and welcome Eva, glad to have your company on all those virtual training slogs through the snow and slush!

Hi Emma, good to see you.  Oh gawd my 'nutritional strategy'.  Erm, well I'm not quite sure that's what you'd call it but here goes.

I eat a healthy diet, but that's only because I happen to be really partial to fruit and veg, which is lucky for me.  Actually it tends to be a bit of a problem - on workdays I don't have a proper breakfast or lunch, just graze all day on apples with the odd pear, cold cooked veg from the night before (much to my colleagues' disgust) usually a packet of crisps and bar of chocolate.  Right now I'm hugely bloated.  It sometimes has, er, unfortunate effects when running too! 

I have a good, balanced meal every evening.

In black and white that looks shameful, but no point lying about it or I'd be waisting your time and valuable advice.

I always stuff loads of carbs the night before a race, usually rice, potatoes or pasta with whatever I'm having for the main meal.  I'd like to say that I abstain from beer and wine, but that would be a total fib, although I don't go over the top.  On the morning of a race I drink about four mugs of tea early, so that I'm properly hydrated on the start line.  Breakfast will consist of a slice of white bread and jam for a 10k or a 10 miler, two slices for a half.

I'm so tempted not to hit the send button and admit to any of that!

22/12/2009 at 17:56

Hey Hash and Rio and all!

All the very best of luck for your training from 4th Jan ... and have the best Christmas in between!

This thread appearing is just another step towards it all becoming real! Mad news about your OH, Hash ... hope he has a speedy recovery ...

I've been out of running and the forums pretty much since club on Thursday night ... decided to try out one of the post run bars from those nice Lucozade people and by 10pm I was throwing up and on the toilet every hour or two for the next day!!! Probably not linked, but the idea of eating anything with a strong strawberry flavour still isn't the best!! How you getting on with yours?!

So hopefully when the big freeze ends (4 inches of snow and icy pavements up here at the mo) can get back out there and a running again!

22/12/2009 at 20:35

*scampers in*

Hi Hash.

Hi BB - nice to see you - mmm, you're not selling the recovery bars to me. I've got a couple but haven't been tempted yet. The hydroactive drink is OK though. What's the next race then?

22/12/2009 at 22:03

Hey Lucy, scampering sounds like an improvement!  Haven't read back on your thread yet but hope you're feeling better.   It was so much easier when we just had the one thread and didn't have to spread a conversation over six different pages!

BB  Lovely to see you and sorry to hear you've been Hughie Green.  I suspect it's much like the Harry Potter jellybeans, avoid the earwax flavour.

The big freeze is driving me mad - I can't run in the evenings, it would be town only and that would be suicidal on the ice-packed pavements.   I've actually explained to the boss that I will be at the party on Christmas Eve in my running gear, and then hoofing off on the dot of 2pm to guarantee getting home before dark.  She was fine with it, thankfully, so my fix is only two days away

*gnaws the bars of the cage*

Putting this in context, it's all the OH can do to hobble in pain between the living room and the kitchen, so I should be grateful.   He was in A&E with someone with the same injury who was desperate to get back to work as he wouldn't get paid unless he was there, and was planning on working Christmas Day because he had no money,

23/12/2009 at 00:47

Hobbling Hash? I thought he had crutches?

23/12/2009 at 04:18
He has Cookie, I meant hobbling around on them.
ImRio    pirate
23/12/2009 at 07:43

BB be careful when you try Lucozade next.  You wont be the first person that has happened to!  I find it quite difficult to digest too sometimes (though not always)

Good idea explaining to the boss Hash.  They are generally understanding and as they are used to seeing you in running kit it isn't such a shock!  lol

I hope the other guy is covered by insurance Hash becuase his boss shouldn't be allowing him to work even if he doesn't get paid becuase if he hurt himself still further there could be hell to pay!  Unless he is self employed of course, then that is up to him

Off to do the last bits of Christmas food shopping now.  I may be some time!!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/12/2009 at 08:36

sorry  Hash did you say you take cold cooked veg to work

I actually really like the Lucozade recovery bar  and seem to be able to tolerate the rest. I've used the drink in races so know that is OK and the gel was OK the other day. I do like the hydroactive but not tried the recovery drink yet.

Hope hubby is starting to feel a bit better

LIVERBIRD    pirate
23/12/2009 at 09:07
Hashette wrote (see)

Some of the comments last year on here that were directed towards people who'd given it everything they'd got but didn't make it through sheer rotten luck were really unfair, and I'm not sure my skin is thick enough to deal with that.

I like to think that anybody who makes the effort to follow you guys through your challenge wouldn't do that. Those who DARE to criticise people who have put ALL the effort in to achieve their goal only to fall at the last fence are clearly idiots who have no idea how awful it is to DNS when you have worked so damned hard for something.

I'm not a blubber normally, but I failed to start GNR and my first marathon last year and I was in bits for weeks. Its hard but its a fact of running that sometimes things don't work out. Last time disaster struck for three super sixers, but that is no reflection on their efforts. Sh*t happens.

You can't go into these things thinking about failure and injury. We're only here for the ride to cheer you on and encourage you so that you believe in yourself. RW clearly believe that you are well capable of a sub 4.30 or they would never have shortlisted you and we as forumites chose YOU to do this so hold your head up high, smile and know that we're all behind you.

Now eat your turkey and have a glass too much of bubbly in the next couple of days because you have a job on!

*here endeth the lecture on self doubt about thickness of skin*

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/12/2009 at 09:14

i think it is also important to remember that it's not the end of the world if we don't achieve our targets (although I am sure we will!)

I did FLM08 and should have done about 5:10-5:15 and finished in 5:49. I was gutted for weeks despite knowing at the time i could not have done more (hyperventilated at m13, was in tears a m17 and just basically an emotional wreck running in memory of my grandma) Everytime I saw someone and they asked how it went I could have cried. I was bitter for about 2mths. Oh and I had a PB by 55mins but that didn't matter at the time!

We will work our butts off and run to the best of our ability and that is all that RW, the coached, the forumites and OURSELVES can ask.

*group hug*

LIVERBIRD    pirate
23/12/2009 at 09:26
Amen that sister!
23/12/2009 at 09:35

A men sister? Is that the opposite of a ladies boy?

Hash/Rio/EP/LB just get out when you can and keep the engine ticking over.  Achieving what you can on the day is all anybody can ask.

Although toeing the start line, running eyeballs out to your race plan, and finishing absolutely spent with a new PB wouldn't be bad either .

23/12/2009 at 10:30
Hey Hashette, I see from your RW profile that you live in Borsetshire. Are you anywhere near Ambridge? If you are, have you gone out running with Usha and that woman who Matt has his eye on?
23/12/2009 at 11:08

Hash - needing thick skin should have been one of the requirements!  TBH those who were the quickest the criticise we either people who had no exeperience and were therefore talking out of their bottoms or those who hadn't been chosen and were all a bit bitter.  Easy to ignore, really.

As for the knee, well I used my FLM training to go onto run an ultra with Wickett in June.  Turns out training for a road based 26m race isn't adequate preparation for a 35m off road run.   Then I didn't quite let it get better before doing Beachy Head in October and after 16m it REALLY hurt.  Physio isn't quite sure what I've done, other than that I pulled ligaments in June which have allowed my knee to move about too much which may/may not have damaged the cartilage in Oct.  Hoping a consultants appt in the New Year will tell me exactly the extent of my stupidity. 

Tis dangerous, believing too much in your ability.

Hope you have a fabulous Christmas, though I suspect your LSS present might be hard to beat?

23/12/2009 at 12:00
Hashette wrote (see)

Some of the comments last year on here that were directed towards people who'd given it everything they'd got but didn't make it through sheer rotten luck were really unfair, and I'm not sure my skin is thick enough to deal with that.

Really?  I am glad I havent seen those comments...ignorance is bliss and all that....hhhmmmm.

Its absolute madness out there I tell ya...madness...

Edited: 23/12/2009 at 12:01
23/12/2009 at 13:48

Blimey it's been busy in here!  I'm still stuck at work, flogging on until tomorrow lunchtime. Am I too late for the grope hug?

Green beans today Pix, absolutely yum, you don't know what you're missing. 

Hubby's sounding a lot cherpier.  Apparently he's had his Dad and best mate round and has presented them with a list of jobs, although sadly I suspect the list may not have included going to Morrisons for yet another final pre-Christmas shop, or cleaning up two weeks's worth of snowed-on chicken pooh.

Eva, I've sort of been out running with Usha.  The week after FLM I was out running, listening to the episode where she stopped running to help her mate get to the finish line of the Felpersham marathon, tears pouring down my face! 

Ouch Wotsit., and hope it goes well in Jan. 

Right, no more negativity from me, promise promise promise.

Please can someone send a mince pie and a glass of something festive to make the afternoon go a bit quicker?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/12/2009 at 13:53

Hash ... beans? you really are weird! I mean you are a hasier who doesn't hash and eat cold veg!!

I haven't had a mince pie yet this year, I expect to make up for that on the next couple of days!!!

I have to agree with Wotsit though, the Super Six gig is indeed the best Christmas pressie!!

23/12/2009 at 14:42

Just ignore those who gave/give negative comments.  They don't understand the hard work that goes in.

The support you will get throughout this thread will be everything you need, Hashie. I'm really looking forward to following the schedule again and getting well below 4:30 this time.  

Do you know if you are following teh Garmin schedule to the letter or if Liz will be tinkering around with it?

Have a fab Christmas, eat and drink loads because once the hard work starts.......

x

23/12/2009 at 16:20
Pix - I have 3 boxes of pies here that I would love to get rid off
81 to 100 of 4,380 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.