Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Follow the progress of Hashette live in the forums as she prepares to run a sub-4:30 marathon under the guidance of mentor Liz Yelling

121 to 140 of 4,380 messages
27/12/2009 at 19:03

Hi Liz

Sorry to hear about Martin, although I did grin about that being the reason he can't keep up.  Before he got injured I used to have to loop back for my 16 stone,. 6 ft 4 hubby when we went out to run together, but  let's face it. my weight lifting isn't up to much

Thanks to hubby's injury, by this time tomorrow night I'll have run 28 miles in since Christmas Eve.  I had my traditional run-away-from-work run home after the Christmas party, then yesterday I had to run back into work (9 miles) to rescue his abandoned car from before his accident.  Thankfully I got it home (veeerrrryyyy slloooowwwlyyyyy) in one piece.

Tomorrow is the Buntingford End of Year 10 and for the first time in years I can run it rather than marshall it, as I didn't renew the club membership this year.  Mick and Phil are running it too so it will be fab to see them again, along with several forumites I know, so it should be a good do. 

I've got a shitty cold (sod's law, I've only had 2 days off sick since 2005, but somebody told my body it could have a break so it decided to be ill) so I'll be wearing a few layers and treating it as a training run, rather than going for a time.

But I get to put one of the Royston Runners' fab momentos on my desk as motivation for the next four months, so that alone has got to be worth running for!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2009 at 19:55

Hash you can't have a cold now you've only got 7 days to get over it!

did you say 28m since Christmas Eve? OMG with all that ice and stuff - impressed

Hope hubby is ok - that's to both Hash and Liz!!

1 more week of easy then it's D DAY!!!

27/12/2009 at 20:03

Give me until tomorrow night Pix, then yes. 

This is the filthiest cold I've had in years, so no pressure for a PB!  It's a case of gather-ye-miles-whilst-ye-may, apparently there's another wall of fecking snow forecast for Tuesday, and the last batch hasn't completely cleared yet

How was your Christmas?

27/12/2009 at 20:05

I'd just like to point out Hash's cold is nothing to do with me.

Hash, please be careful - I went running with a cold and then I got properly sick (broke my lungs).

'Momento' sounds a bit vague to me. I'd like to know, in advance, the actual goodies before committing to running. Come over to Bungay - they give out bottles of beer as prizes (locally brewed organic stuff). Nice 20k/10k on 21st February if interested (plug, plug)

Have fun at Buntingford - but be careful....

27/12/2009 at 20:07
Good luck for tomorrow Hash and remember if you are racing injured (ie if it's not a head cold) you are setting a good example to your husband
27/12/2009 at 20:14

Thanks all.  Not racing, promise, just plodding around a rather lovely course at no-pressure pace then trotting off home to finish demolishing the turkey.

Okay,okay time to come clean.  There's a runnig shop called Fast Feet Sports, I think they're based in Bishops Stortford or somewhere miles from me.  Anyway, every year they have a MASSIVE clear out at the Buntingford Year End 10, and every year I stock up big time to last me for the next 12 months.

Please someone tell me that they belive that my turning up tomorrow is due to commitment rather than being a gear junky?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2009 at 20:17
Hash behave, best have a couple of days R&R now and be ready for next week!
28/12/2009 at 11:50

Hash, hope you get over your cold quickly.   I'm had a attack of the oink flu  - dreadfully crap timing as I was really looking forward to Christmas and hosting for the family for the first time in new house.  Oh well.

So, a week to get fully better and then dive head first into the schedule.  Should be interesting as I haven't really run properly for nearly 10 weeks.

Good luck Hash in your race, I hope you don't push it as with your cold you don't want to go backwards with just a week to go.   How come you haven't renewed your club's membership?   I'm torn between going to club or not right now.

28/12/2009 at 17:46

Thanks Sezz and hope you feel better soon  What did you end up doing for Christmas Day? Hopefully not struggling on feeling horrible and waiting on relatives?

The only reason I didn't renew my club membership is that they do almost exclusively cross country which I hate, so I was alwyas a token member at best.  It was lovely seeing them all today, and knowing most of the marshalls didn't half give me a boost.

Bleurgh.  Did a crap time but as I couldn't breathe I'm not going to fret about that.  It was well worth it though, I saw loads of people I hadn't seen in ages, lovely to see Mick & Phil and loads of forumites.  Best of all we got the most gorgeous, cutest race momento ever!  I put an apple next to it so you get an idea of how small and lovely it is.

Grrr...... RW upoloader says the file'd too big, here's my second attempt

28/12/2009 at 17:54

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs234.snc3/22154_249874592173_573847173_4232340_2559697_n.jpg

Here you go Hash. Great memento and hope you picked up some bargains too.
28/12/2009 at 17:59

Neat but not gawdy as my Nan would say.

Good job on 10 miles whilst ill. You nutter.

Hope you feel better soon

28/12/2009 at 18:05

Thanks LN, how did you do that?  I've just had about four attempts in FB and they all failed.

Ooooh yes - Asics winter running tights, normally £35, going for a tenner.  

Oh and the race was nice too, a bit like going to the pub without the beer.

Okay I have a question.  I think it's for Emma, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.  I have this theory that if I have a cold and run hard and thereby ramp my temperature up, it should burn off the bugs and shift the cold, a bit like sweating it out with a hot toddy, only with fresh air instead of whiskey.  Any truth in that?  To be fair, given that at the moment I feel like the back end of a bus and a bomb has gone off in my head, the theory is a bit battered, but any thoughts most welcome

28/12/2009 at 18:06

x-post, thanks Spinkeltoes, how are you?

Actually I'll nip over to yours and have a look.  If you have a hot toddy waiting for me that would be fab

28/12/2009 at 18:13
I'm not convinced you can sweat out a cold Hash. It's a virus at the end of the day and it needs to run its course.

Re your pic, I just right clicked on your photo to copy the address and then did Insert Image. I find it normally resizes the pic automatically.

28/12/2009 at 18:24

Logical re the first and thanks again for the second LN.   

I've been swallowing echinacea for a week and it's been fighting it off, to the extent that I'd wake up at stupid o'clock  as is my wont with a sore throat, take a double dose, and then be fine by the morning.

I can't afford to be ill,  I'm back at work tomorrow morning and will be the only person answering all the phone calls from the moaning public whilst trying to have a meeting with someone who's coming in from Suffolk to talk through planning an event whilst it's 'quiet' (I did try to tell her!).  Oh, and they've forecast a wall of snow and I'm going to try to shuffle Blouse back and fro from the doctors if he can get an appointment.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/12/2009 at 19:57

love that pic Hash.

Actually I will be asking Emma about advice on vitamins etc during training to help us get the right micronutrients (get me!) and not get colds!

If I have a cold which is just snotty I still run in a kill or cure theory

ImRio    pirate
28/12/2009 at 21:17

Hash please don't run if you have a temp or your chest is in the least bit tight.  One of the ladies in my group ran with what started out as a bad cold (she didn't tell me just how poorly she felt at the time or I would have sent her home) we did a bit of speed work and she got double pneumonia!!  Please be very careful

I have only run twice in a week but had a really good run today - only 3.5 miles but managed it in 32 minutes which I was seriously pleased with and I actually enjoyed it today which was the first time in ages.  I took my ventolin before I went- again the first time in ages - I had forgotten how much better it makes me feel.  My peak flow readings have been down quite a bit so have decided that pump it is for the next few weeks at least!

I have been taking a  full whack multi vit plus glucosamine (separately) for years and rarely get colds (notice I didn't say never so as not to curse myself )  Even though I generally have a healthy diet

ImRio    pirate
28/12/2009 at 21:17
Oh forgot to add.  I downloaded the schedule today so it really is happening now
28/12/2009 at 22:06
Sorry to hear you are poorly Hash! rest up and get better- no more 10 milers although that memento was the cutest one i have ever seen and well worth it! But remember what Liz said "now is just about chilling and building to that point" (mid jan)

I'm away for a week or so now but hope you get better soon...X
29/12/2009 at 07:51
How are you today Hash?
121 to 140 of 4,380 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.