Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Long runs, speed sessions... and a pair of rather tight leggings.

21 to 40 of 848 messages
18/12/2012 at 09:31

Hi Steve Loves Magnets!  Wonder how many variants of your name we'll have collected by the time you get to Paris?

As I once said to RRR - sub 4? Go for it!  If I can do it at first crack - you can! Just think of the pain au bacon at the finish line! She did it, I did it - are you gonna let us girlies show you how it's done LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL (seriously though - it is doable - just give it your best shot that's all we ask - good luck)

Will be relying on you guys to keep me entertained over the winter - you're already far more interesting than the tv - hurrah!

18/12/2012 at 10:26

Ahhh.... here you are!  Great start to your training thread Steve.

Some quick questions:

• Which shoes did you get?
  • How have you been told to perform the acceleration strides?  (I'm scheduled to do some later today, so I'm very interested in this)
  • What options did you take when using MyAsics to generate your vanilla training plan? (I'd like to compare your actual training with the default plan, to see how Sam adjusts it).
Also...  where's Sam? 
18/12/2012 at 10:30
Santa loves bacon wrote (see)

As the French would say: Paris, ici je viens!

You're already a step-up on last year's mob, who can't even spell "Au Revoir" 

18/12/2012 at 10:31

Have you been given any core training exercises to do on the XT days?  If so, what is your program and when do you start them?

18/12/2012 at 10:39

Also.....

have you given up bacon as promised for the votes, or are you like a typical politician and have made your first U-Turn?

18/12/2012 at 10:49

Good point Tenjiso ... as I recall he promised he would redistribute the bacon he would no longer eat.... We can provide our own SAEs....

seren nos    pirate
18/12/2012 at 11:42

Steve.........sounds like a great day.............those comfortable paces seem a bit fast for the long runs.....will be interesting to see how they progress as they get longer.......

they had to but steve with sam to avoid confusion  

i am also interested to see how the plan differs to the asics printed plan.......

18/12/2012 at 11:54

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the nice comments and questions!

Having a bit of a manic day at work today, then off to a hearing this evening that doesn't even start until 6pm (!) then back at the office tomorrow morning before the staff xmas meal tomorrow evening...

What I'm trying to say is that I might be a teensy bit rushed over the next two days - please bear with me, I will answer everyone's questions and chuck up a post or two about my first couple of training runs

Ten, just a quick one as you said you would be doing some acceleration strides later today:

When I asked Sam to explain, she said:

"So, acceleration strides: these are a good way of 'bridging the gap'
between a jog warm up and faster running, say, in an interval/speed
session or even to just do at the end of an easy run to 'remind' your
legs to keep turning over nice and quick.
Start at a pace you consider steady/brisk and count 8 strides
(paces) then accelerate for another 8 paces, accelerate again for
another 8 and finish with a final 8 by which point you should be
running fast (but not all-out sprinting). Focus on good form
throughout - nice tall posture, feet turning over quickly and not
overstriding (ie. sticking your leg out too far in front - look at Mo,
and think of all the 'action' being in the back of the stride, when
the leg extends behind)."

Hope that helps!

18/12/2012 at 12:01

Great answer - thanks Steve.

18/12/2012 at 12:17

Following on from what Seren said about the paces, they look to me more like those of somebody shooting for nearer to 3:45 than 4:00?  Is there something you haven't told us about new targets or anything?   You can tell me - I won't hold you to it.

19/12/2012 at 00:00
Hi, finally had the chance to read your new thread, loved reading about your journey so far. Good luck and enjoy the experience. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your journey to Paris.
seren nos    pirate
19/12/2012 at 08:05

I bit rushed you say Steve for a couple of days............I guess you're out delivering all your stockpiles of bacon to needy people..eg us

19/12/2012 at 09:14

Yeah -  where's our bacon??!

19/12/2012 at 09:49

If you are a bit rushed then you need to move like streaky lightening and get back to your terminal to give us more updates on your training!

19/12/2012 at 11:24

Better start practising Steve....

broken promise for votes

"It was a pledge made with the best of intentions"

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 11:25
19/12/2012 at 12:15

Bacon? What's that then?

I went to a restaurant after the evening hearing last night and ordered a salad. And enjoyed it.

I don't like the person I'm turning into 

19/12/2012 at 12:21

You're doing this wrong ... we run so we can eat more ...! (Picking bits of pretzel out from her teeth and hiding the cupcake stolen from the work Christmas buffet)

19/12/2012 at 12:25
Santa loves bacon wrote (see)

...ordered a salad. And enjoyed it.

And with that statement, I'm afraid you've just lost all credibility.

seren nos    pirate
19/12/2012 at 12:27

see after he gets the votes and gets elected...........the truth come out......if we get anymore of this enjoying salad crap i am going to ask for a bi-election

19/12/2012 at 12:28

Haha! Should definitely have been a politician...!

Just so you all know, as I feel I've been a little neglectful the last couple of days(!), I will be posting a proper update this afternoon after my second training run and will answer all your questions, including an informative photographic guide to tying your shoelaces the ASICS Oxford Street way...

21 to 40 of 848 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.