Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Long runs, speed sessions... and a pair of rather tight leggings.

501 to 520 of 848 messages
11/02/2013 at 21:58

Week 9 - Training

Monday - REST DAY

Actual - 4 MILE COMFORTABLE

Because I missed Friday's run, what with one thing and another, I got permission from the boss to go out for a bonus run this evening... I didn't need asking twice!

I had another tiring day today - we had to go to a Court which was about an hour and a half away from the office but, due to the rather unexpected snow, it took us three hours to get there. We were an hour late for the hearing. The judge was not best pleased! We also had to travel a total of 42 stops on the tube there and back - I counted out of sheer boredom - and it was pretty hard keeping my eyes open (and that's not even counting getting into and out of London).

So I was in the mood to go out and pound the streets for a bit when I got home. One of the main reasons I love running so much is how much better you feel after a run. So many people who don't run ask me how I can do it, saying how it must knacker me out so much...

When I tell them that I actually generally feel better and have more energy after a run, especially a comfortable one like today, they just think I'm either:

(a) dumb;

(b) mad; or

(c) all of the above.

Whilst that may not be too far from the truth, it doesn't change the fact that running really does make you feel great!

So the run today was nice, although I did end up bleeding a bit more. That's twice in two days now... I can't wait for tomorrow!! 

My running shoes were, for some reason, still really wet from the run the day before (Kneegate) and so I pulled my old trainers on as I was only doing what basically amounted to a quick jog. It seems as though my shoe was somehow pushing one of my toes into another one and the nail from that toe really cut into the side of the other one. I noticed it at about 2.5 miles but, as I was doing an 'out and back' route, there wasn't really a lot I could do but put up with it until I got home.

Cue another pic of a wound:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BC2FCCjCQAIUBu6.jpg:large

Someone on twitter said that my tweets were starting to look like a war film!

I also had a rather large dog come pouncing at me and he was barely held back by some kid sat at a bus stop who looked about 14. I really did think at one point that the dog was just going to drag the kid along after him... I therefore bravely decided to take evasive action and ran in the road for a bit

The four miles turned out as follows:

Mile 1 - 8:27

Mile 2 - 8:37

Mile 3 - 8:34

Mile 4 - 8:24

As this was a bit of a bonus run, I wasn't too slavish with checking the watch so they are not as consistent as they have been on some of the runs I've done, but at least I managed to remember to charge the watch this time!

My knee felt ok after the fall. It does have an impressive lump but that didn't seem to have too much effect although now it has stiffened up just a little. I'm sure it's nothing that a good night's sleep won't cure

A nice recovery jog awaits tomorrow...

11/02/2013 at 22:10

I almost forgot, just to add to the weekend's frivolities, I went to a 90s themed birthday party on Saturday (I was a very good boy, I might add. I only had one beer and I also made sure that I ate before I went as I knew they were buying Chinese for everyone - Ruth, you should be very proud of me!!).

As I know you all love a good photo, here's a couple of me looking like a complete pratt dressed up as Vanilla Ice...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/744786/gallery/vanilla_ice.jpg?width=350

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/69638_10151494693785917_1801959364_n.jpg

Who says I don't take my training seriously??

12/02/2013 at 11:28

Have you considered cutting your toe nails??  Might help towards preventing injury! 

12/02/2013 at 11:55

Well if you're going to come up with a simple, sensible solution...

It's never happened before so I think it must have been the old running shoes that did it... but, needless to say, I cut them as short as was humanly possible as soon as I got home!

12/02/2013 at 12:07

The simple solutions are usually the best  

I have been subject to that particular injury before, but usually as a result of spending hours dancing in 4 inch heeled shoes with pointy toes.... I usually cut my nails before they can cause a problem in my nice comfy running shoes

12/02/2013 at 21:23

Well I wasn't going to admit that I ran in 4 inch heeled shoes but...

12/02/2013 at 21:33
Nah, ur in Essex... Probably espadrilles!
12/02/2013 at 21:35

you've had an eventful few days Steve!

On the subject of toe nails, I would just like to report that for the first time in a long while I actually have 10! and they are not black either!!

12/02/2013 at 21:40

Week 9 - Training

Tuesday - 6 MILE COMFORTABLE (8:40 - 9:30M/M) then 3x ACCELERATION STRIDES

Actual - 7 MILES then 3X ACCELERATION STRIDES

Well after all the excitement, slips, trips and falls of the last few days... there is very little to report this evening!

I went out with the intention of doing 6 miles, as per the training plan, but I must have misjudged the route a bit and 6 miles beeped on the watch when I was still ages away from home. It was chuffing cold out and I didn't fancy a long walk home so I carried on and the watch was just ticking over 6.6 miles as I reached the end of my street. I carried on down the road a bit to bring it to a nice, rounded 7 miles then did the acceleration strides on the way back to the house.

The run went fine and, I am delighted to report, I was 100% blood free today!

I ran the seven miles in a total time of 57:55 meaning an overall pace of 8:16 minutes per mile. That pace felt nice and comfortable and I didn't feel like I was working particularly hard although the route I ran was pretty flat so I wasn't trying to force myself up huge hills or anything!

The individual miles worked out as follows:

Mile 1 - 8:40

Mile 2 - 8:24

Mile 3 - 8:11

Mile 4 - 8:13

Mile 5 - 8:21

Mile 6 - 8:14

Mile 7 - 7:51

Having got home and got dinner out of the way, I sat down with a rather pleasing pancake. In deference to Ruth and my new, healthy eating regime, I did have some banana with it. I'm not sure it was entirely healthy, though, as the banana did drown in the copious amounts of honey poured on top. Bloody nice it was too.

So, on to the track tomorrow for some 800m reps which I am really looking forward to!

I may not blast through them at completely 100% because I don't want to be too fatigued for Saturday, but I will definitely go and have a bit of fun on the track.

As for Saturday, I must confess to feeling pretty much equal amounts of excitement and nervousness... I have only ever done two half marathons and I'm not entirely sure how it is going to work out! Running at these kinds of paces is all so new to me and so it I am heading a little bit into the unknown.

At the end of the day, I can only (and will) do my best, give it 100% and see where that takes me. I am sure I am in close to or better than PB shape and hopeful I can at least get close to the 1:45 goal Sam has set me. There is, of course, only one way to find out and I can't wait to get there, meet up with the other Target 26.2 runners and get started.

12/02/2013 at 21:43
Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
Nah, ur in Essex... Probably espadrilles!

Haha! I love a bit of chav chic...

12/02/2013 at 21:44
jenf wrote (see)

you've had an eventful few days Steve!

On the subject of toe nails, I would just like to report that for the first time in a long while I actually have 10! and they are not black either!!

Hi Jen, how have you been? Training going well??

Yes, it was a relief to just go for a run and come home in one piece today!

12/02/2013 at 21:51

I'm doing good Steve thanks! can't quite keep up with your pacing now.. but I'm slowly improving! Good luck with the half, get out there and enjoy!

13/02/2013 at 11:30
Steve loves bacon wrote (see)
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

How's the knee doing, Steve?

I'm assuming you mean in the half mara next wkd when you say you'd like to try 8 min miling, as opposed to Paris? Yep, fine - it's the high end of the pace bracket suggested. I guess what I'm saying with the pace bracket is that even if you ran at the outside edge of it, you'd still be on target, so not to panic about not clocking dead on 8 for every mile.

Also meant to say, if you fancied an easy run (4 miles jog/comfortable) today, you'd be fine to add that in given that you have just had an easy week and missed Friday's run. But it's not essential by any means - just if you were itching to get out! 

Hi Sam,

Yes, the knee is ok thanks - the graze is nothing but I did bash it quite hard and there's a lump like a golf ball on it! It felt fine when I was out running today and although it has stiffened up a bit this evening, it feels alright, considering!

Haha well.... alright then. 8 minute miling for the half and not in Paris! You must have realised by now that I see the high end of the pace brackets you set me as a target to be beaten and not a guide to stick within - I don't even look to see what the lower end of the bracket is half the time

I'm hoping I'll have enough in the tank to be somewhere in the 7s for the last three miles or so... Will have to see how I feel on the day.

If I'm running at 8m/m and feeling good and strong, when would you recommend I should up the pace a little? I don't want to up it too soon and burn out but I really do feel in good shape after the 9 miles and spent virtually all of that in the 7s...

Also... Pleeeeease can I do another parkrun? I'm itching to go under 21mins! I'll be good and stick to my pacings if you let me. Well. Near my pacings, anyway

Hi Steve. I know you are 'sort of' joking, but seriously, the pace guidelines are there for a reason and the reason is NOT TO BEAT THEM! (This was one of my favourite points in the article I tweeted about today in Running Times on GPS watches - it said that you should use the Garmin to check you are within your page guidelines, not to see if you can exceed them!

That said, if all goes well this weekend then we'll be moving the goalposts anyway and upping the paces. But my motto for training is just because you could go faster, doesn't mean you should go faster

So pace wise, I'd recommend sticking around the 8 min mile to 9 miles before speeding up (you've then got 5km to go and can think  of it as a parkrun in your head!) I'll take a look at the schedule and see where we can fit in another parkrun, too.

13/02/2013 at 12:37

Hi Steve,

sorry just spotted your knee incident! Hope you managed to get ice on it straight after to minimise the swelling, you can carry on doing so after your runs if still swollen.

Don't forget basic housekeeping of the those to nails. If they are long and push against the end of the shoe they will go black. Remember all these extra miles show up the slightest issue. That is more aimed at all marathon runners not just you!!!

14/02/2013 at 14:40

Vanilla Ice. I must be the same generation...remember the school disco's well 

Well done on eating prior to party!

I forgot about pancake day this year

Good luck to all racing this weekend!

A.W
15/02/2013 at 14:31

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to drop by and wish you luck for tomorrow! looking forward to the race report.

A.W
15/02/2013 at 20:28

Good luck tomorrow Steve, hope you've trimmed those nails

16/02/2013 at 20:04
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Steve. I know you are 'sort of' joking, but seriously, the pace guidelines are there for a reason and the reason is NOT TO BEAT THEM! (This was one of my favourite points in the article I tweeted about today in Running Times on GPS watches - it said that you should use the Garmin to check you are within your page guidelines, not to see if you can exceed them!

That said, if all goes well this weekend then we'll be moving the goalposts anyway and upping the paces. But my motto for training is just because you could go faster, doesn't mean you should go faster

So pace wise, I'd recommend sticking around the 8 min mile to 9 miles before speeding up (you've then got 5km to go and can think  of it as a parkrun in your head!) I'll take a look at the schedule and see where we can fit in another parkrun, too.

Hi Sam, I was joking... although I did exceed the pacings a bit today - but then it was a race today so I figured I was allowed to go and give it my best shot!

I will have to give the article a read - been a bit of a busy week so far, as you know but can hopefully catch up with things a bit now...

16/02/2013 at 20:07
sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Hi Steve,

sorry just spotted your knee incident! Hope you managed to get ice on it straight after to minimise the swelling, you can carry on doing so after your runs if still swollen.

Don't forget basic housekeeping of the those to nails. If they are long and push against the end of the shoe they will go black. Remember all these extra miles show up the slightest issue. That is more aimed at all marathon runners not just you!!!

Hi Sarah, yes I managed to get some ice on it. I did whack it pretty hard and it swelled up a bit overnight - it looked like I had a golf ball strapped to my leg! But the swelling has gone now and I'm just left with a scab so no worries there.

The nails are indeed nice and trimmed now and (famous last words, I'm sure!), so far I've managed to retain all ten... let's see how long that lasts!

16/02/2013 at 20:08
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Vanilla Ice. I must be the same generation...remember the school disco's well 

Well done on eating prior to party!

I forgot about pancake day this year

Good luck to all racing this weekend!

Hi Ruth,

Honestly, I don't think my friends recognised me at all - no drinking all night and no takeaway food... What am I turning into?? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.