Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Long runs, speed sessions... and a pair of rather tight leggings.

701 to 720 of 848 messages
15/03/2013 at 19:18

Hello all,

Steve is in the midst of the chaos that is commonly known as moving house, which is why he hasn't been able to post for a little while. All that box lugging hasn't done his knee much good, which is still causing him jip, I'm afraid.

It's more rest and ice on the agenda with a consultant's appointment on Tuesday to give a clearer picture of where we're at. Steve has said he would happily crawl to the finish line - he'd rather do it at any pace than not at all. But not, of course, if doing so would risk further damage. So we have to see what the consultant, along with physio Sarah, say on Tuesday. But if he has any way of getting to that finish line, on hands, knees or elbows, you can bet Steve will be doing it! Let's all keep sending positive vibes to that bloody knee !

Hope your training goes well this weekend, all.

15/03/2013 at 22:16

Sorry to hear that Sam.

I have no doubt you'd do everything to get yourself to the finish line Steve. If it turns out the doctors won't let you then give me a call and I'll happily carry you round. Ok, so maybe I might need some help but there will be no shortage of volunteers!

Really wish you the best of luck!

16/03/2013 at 20:44
Thanks Sam for the update. Steve's a great guy, it's been an amazing journey and I know it's not finished. If you can get Steve to the starting line then we all know he'll get to the finish.

I'd be honoured to run with Steve, that should encourage him to get better. Although at 50% fit he'll still beat me. I'm not offering to carry him, I was hoping he would give me a piggy back, only the last 26 miles.
17/03/2013 at 14:35

Good luck at the consultants on Tuesday Steve. Hope you get some positive news.

17/03/2013 at 17:20

Hi Steve,

Hope the house move going OK- not what you need at this time!! Good luck for the Consultant on Tuesday- have you had the MRI yet?

17/03/2013 at 21:39

Positive thought and loads of love for Tuesday.....Maybe we will get to run together after all!!!!...........x

18/03/2013 at 08:45

Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Hope house move is going/went okay.

Sending that knee lots of ice and rest!

18/03/2013 at 12:24

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the kind words and support!

What with the move and everything, I don't have access to the internet at home until Thursday when it is getting installed, hence my lack of posts, but I wanted to leave a cheeky post from the computer at work to say thank you. I have been reading the posts on my phone and they really have helped cheer me up and keep me smiling.

The move was hard work but overall it went ok... we're down to the last three thousand boxes to unpack so almost there! We had a bit of a nightmare with the sofa which just wouldn't fit through the front door and got most of the way down the path at the side of the house being getting completely wedged so the only solution was to hoist it up on to the roof (!) and pass it down into the back garden so that it could go in through the patio doors!

I have my appointment with a consultant tomorrow - the letter says it could take up to three hours so it certainly sounds thorough!! I'll update you when I can with the outcome, and also respond properly to all your posts as soon as I can.

I had a chat with Sam on the phone the other day and, as she said in her post, I'm determined to get round one way or another. I was thinking I could possibly buy a pair of those 'wheelies' shoes that kids were so into a little while back... then all I need to do is tie a bit of string to Alex and get towed round. That'd count, right?

What with all the lifting and traipsing up and down stairs when moving, my knee really flared up over the weekend but it feels a lot, lot calmer today so I am going to try out a gentle run this evening and see what happens... fingers crossed everyone!

Anyway, I'd better go before I get the sack! I have absolutely hated being injured and not being able to get out there and run but the support and kindness on here really has helped and it means a lot to me. I'm back to feeling positive and I know this evening's run won't be perfect but I have a feeling it is going to go alright and I will update you with how I get on!

18/03/2013 at 12:43

Steve, fingers crossed all works out for you! Lets hope you get the good news you deserve tomorrow

18/03/2013 at 18:41

Good luck tomorrow Steve, will be anxious to hear the outcome...

18/03/2013 at 20:27

Your move sounds pretty much like every move I've ever been involved with

Good luck for tomorrow.

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 20:33
18/03/2013 at 20:52

How did you get on with tonights run Steve. Yes house move and all that lifting will definately aggravate your knee at least that's done now. Good to be seeing the consultant tomorrow when it's a bit sore so they can tell what's going on.

Keep us posted......

18/03/2013 at 21:17
Good luck tomorrow Steve!
19/03/2013 at 09:43
Hi Steve,

Fingers crossed.

Doesn't matter that you're not updating, you've been told to rest . Also I think it's hard on you lot, your fan clubs pop up when it suits us. You have your intense training, have to report on here AND reply to us! Peronally it does bother me, you have more important things to do.

I ran 32k in Paris yesterday, it was hard. It brought me back down to Earth, it made me question if a sub 4 was possible. I easily ran up the incline towards Bois de Boulogne but couldn't change to marathon pace. I now see the importance of acceleration strides and mixing up the paces. After Paris, I'm going to read back through the threads, another reason why people shouldn't clog them up.

Hope the move went OK. I hate unpacking, it's the hardest part. I think you'll need loads of positive vibes to empty those boxes. I bet you have loads of books! All the best.
19/03/2013 at 10:37
Me again. I couldn't understand Malcs obsession with Shady. I thought he was mad concentrating on someone else's efforts. Now I believe, Malcs is using Shady as a mirror, there is a lot of good banter mixed up with some serious ideas. It's a partnership. I think it's normal to give support because it's two way. Everyone says about your shoelaces and I often think about the stick men, great help for me.

I follow the Paris thread where there are sub 3 blokes over the moon because someone has just posted a 1h PB for a 10k. I thought running was a solitary sport, I was wrong.
19/03/2013 at 17:02

Afternoon Bacon Steve!

Hope the appointment went well with the consultant today. We've still got 3 weeks and at least you'll know what to do when you get the results of today. Chin up - I'm sure we can rig up some sort of pulley to Alex. He wouldn't find sub-3 with a chap on roller skates hanging on behind tough going, would he? He has got those magic orange trainers after all!

19/03/2013 at 19:53

Evening Bacon!!

Hope all went well today Buddy!

19/03/2013 at 22:29
Hi Steve, I'm running Paris as my first marathon too. Just before Christmas, one week into training, I fractured my tibia skiing and have been on the road to recovery since. I tore the ACL in that knee before so was relieved it wasn't completely torn. I know how frustrating it is not running, I think that not training is harder than all the early get ups, long runs in the rain etc there's nothing worse than not running when everyone else is reporting their progress and worse still the days are ticking by.

After weeks off running, tonnes of physio and anti-gravity training I thought I was okay but after my 20M I got that pain which you just can't run through, the absolutely excruciating one. I had another almost ten days off running, back to cross-training,but the last few days its been okay again, so weird. Hope today went okay, know I don't have the pressure of being in the Asics team but still desperate to run Paris the best I can and know you'll make it to both the start and the finish line.
Best of luck
Lucy
20/03/2013 at 12:47
PC91 wrote (see)
I couldn't understand Malcs obsession with Shady. I thought he was mad concentrating on someone else's efforts. Now I believe, Malcs is using Shady as a mirror, there is a lot of good banter mixed up with some serious ideas. 

Whoa - hold the boat! What's this about obsesssion? Ok, so I do have a room of my house dedicated to the man. Yes, there are posters on the wall and yes I regularly dress up in identical compression gear. And ok, occasionally I do follow him around hiding in the shadows but obsession, really?

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 12:59
20/03/2013 at 13:16

Lucy - anti gravity training?!! Are you an astronaut? 

Steveo - we're all hoping you had good news!

PC91 - joking aside now, you're absolutely spot on. I only discovered the true value of the forums as part of the Asics comp. As well as providing some great help and advice they are a tremendous support mechanism. Runners supporting runners. Something that family and friends can't really do unless they are runners themselves because, let's face it, you need to be to understand what's really going through our heads.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.