Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Long runs, speed sessions... and a pair of rather tight leggings.

801 to 820 of 848 messages
02/04/2013 at 22:59
Kandinsky wrote (see)

"Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made."

I know it may feel like it's not the end you hoped for when you set out but I suspect that your journey won't end at the finish line in Paris

Love it

Well the tough decision has been made and, if nothing else, it feels like a weight has been lifted!

Definitely not the end of the journey and, once I'm fixed, I'll see you at the start line of the Chelmsford parkrun

02/04/2013 at 23:05
PC91 wrote (see)
Hi Bacon Boy,

The MRI scan will at least set you up, you'll know what the problem is and can start fixing it, probably got a piece of bacon suck in your knee. Berlin sounds great. Paris 2014? Bring your son over.

As Tenjiso asked, don't disappear.... Hang on fellas why are we following Steve? Did you see Sarah's photo last week, or Mel's beautiful smile? Bye Steve...

Hope to bump into this weekend, I'm easily spotted, I run like your diagram.

Hi PC91,

Bacon in the knee... Let's see you fix that one, Kin Kong! I'm waiting to hear back on whether I can defer Paris - I can't see any reason why not so hopefully 2014 is on the cards!

Look forward to seeing you over there - whilst I've been to pretty much every country in Europe, I have never actually visited Paris!

02/04/2013 at 23:34

Steve,

Like everyone else I'm truly gutted for you. Even now you're still managing to smile through it which just goes to show what a top bloke you are.

I'm really glad you're going to go to Paris regardless. You're right, it will probably be tough at points knowing that you aren't running but I'm sure there will be more than enough great moments to keep the disappointment at bay.

Best of luck with Kin Kong and the repair and recovery process. Do keep us posted on how everything goes!

A.W
03/04/2013 at 06:32

Hi Steve,

I echo everyone else, I'm really so gutted for you. You have made the right choice though, getting round the marathon in pain all the way would not be good and not what this whole journey we've been on was all about. And the risk that you might do longer term damage is not a risk worth taking.

I'm so glad you'll still be coming with us all to Paris, we started this experience together and its fantastic we'll all finish it together, even if its not in the circumstances we would have liked. You've progressed a long way with your running and when the knees fixed I'm sure you'll progress even more and achieve all your running goals.

See you on Friday.

A.W
03/04/2013 at 08:14

Hey Steve,

Well done on making the right decision. You always know that you've made the right choice when the moment you make it, you feel a weight has been lifted. I think part of the reason is that you can stop focusing all your energy on the 'shall I, shan't I?' question and channel it into the important matter of getting back in your trainers, setting new goals and so on. It sort of 'closes a door' but also allows you to move on to open some new ones. (Hmmm, not sure that is my most eloquent - better watch out or RW will be giving you my column)

I'm doing a talk tonight about last-minute marathon prep, and one of the things I'm going to point out is that the runners WILL go through a bad patch in the marathon, at some point. It's not a given, but it's almost certain and I've found that accepting this at the outset really helps. When it arrives, you can just 'greet it' 'oh right, here's that bad patch...' - do what you can to help it pass (head up, relax, check you are fuelled up, check pace) and then be confident that it will. And I was thinking that the same holds true for you coming to Paris. There will be difficult moments for you but that is only natural and it won't detract from, or spoil, the whole experience.

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you Steve - to see you progress in great leaps and bounds and feel your enthusiasm grow and grow. I am convinced you will be back running not long from now (by the way, one of my Rye Runners who is coming to run Paris this year had an arthroscopy last august and is now fitter than ever. He's 62!) Keep us posted of how it all goes once this project is over, won't you? Anyway, see you at St Pancras on Friday!

03/04/2013 at 08:39

Steve - sleep easy now for a few days.

Then "Terminator-esque" - you'll be back!

Have a blast in Paris and then good luck with the knee repair when you get back......

03/04/2013 at 09:36

Hi Steve,

What can I say that others haven't.  You've made the right decision, which is key.  I'm not sure if I would have been brave enough to make the decision if I'd been in your shoes.  LAst year whilst training for NYC marathon I pulled my calf, but didn't realise thats what it was,- just thought it was tightness, so ran more and more on it, and made it really bad- by which point, I needed to take a month off, which was the high mileage month.  I was still determined to do the race, even though my longest run had been 14 miles in July (for a November race).  Divine intervention stepped in, and it was the first NYC marathon to be cancelled, so I didn't do it, which has meant I've been able to get some decent training in this Spring, - I still notice the after effects of that calf tear now, so had I run, it would probably be even longer before I would be able to train like I am now, so what I'm saying is that you've made a really smart decision, and I have to say, watching a marathon is really fun too!!!  So you're gonna have a great time.

We'd be very happy to have you volunteering in the Colchester park run- the first one is this Saturday, so I guess you're busy, - I'll be run director on 27 April.  To become a volunteer, go to this page, and it gives you all the info:  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/colchestercastle/volunteer/

Look forward to seeing you there! and well done for being such an inspiration! 

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 09:37
03/04/2013 at 10:42

Hi Mr Bacon,

I'm linked directly to the 'Followed Threads' so sometimes I forget that RW have attached their site to our forum !  By the way who's SamMurphyRuns ? One of your groupies who you've been sharing your valueable advice with.  62 years old ! You've got a couple of years ahead of you.  I get confused with everything I read but I think there was a 74 year old who did a sub 3h30 recently (could have been quicker ?).

Very considerate of you to help Mel with the carb loading, perhaps you could eat a few Creme Eggs for Sarah and drink a couple of beers for Shady.  They are going to love you at the restaurant as you tuck into your pizza followed by profiteroles, all these sacrifices you do for your friends.

I went to the physio dreading the worse, it's not wonderful but they are not going to shoot me, although he would have liked to after seeing the state I have let myself get into.  I'll see him again tomorrow, then several sessions after the marathon.  I don't know what will happen on Sunday.

There are over 900 strides in a kilometre, I've done 800km since November. My body has taken a pounding, any defauts in technic or posture will take their toll, and I am far from perfect.  My muscles have tighten up, in the case of my thigh, too much which caused my leg to block up.

After Sunday I'm going back to square 1.  I will (try to) learn how to run, concerntrating on short distances, attempting to improve my technic.  Warming up and cooling down properly !  Stretches, often neglected as I was eager to get out of the door or exhausted after the long runs.  I aim gradually to build up my runs so there is less of a shock to the system. I intend to read back through the threads, find out more on aceleration strides and recovery runs.

Your experience has given you a stronger base to build on, I don't know if you get bored of hearing this but thanks for sharing it with us.  Cheers.

03/04/2013 at 14:25
Malcs wrote (see)

Steve,

Like everyone else I'm truly gutted for you. Even now you're still managing to smile through it which just goes to show what a top bloke you are.

I'm really glad you're going to go to Paris regardless. You're right, it will probably be tough at points knowing that you aren't running but I'm sure there will be more than enough great moments to keep the disappointment at bay.

Best of luck with Kin Kong and the repair and recovery process. Do keep us posted on how everything goes!

Thanks for the kind words Malcs.

Yes, it has been incredibly frustrating and gutting to realise that I was not going to be able to start the race in Paris (let alone finish!) but the support has been out of this world so that has made it so much easier to smile about it and realise just how many positives I can take from this.

As you say, there are going to be plenty of great moments over the weekend, to add to the multitude of great moments I have experienced for the last sixteen weeks...

Thanks for keeping me smiling

03/04/2013 at 14:27
A.W wrote (see)

Hi Steve,

I echo everyone else, I'm really so gutted for you. You have made the right choice though, getting round the marathon in pain all the way would not be good and not what this whole journey we've been on was all about. And the risk that you might do longer term damage is not a risk worth taking.

I'm so glad you'll still be coming with us all to Paris, we started this experience together and its fantastic we'll all finish it together, even if its not in the circumstances we would have liked. You've progressed a long way with your running and when the knees fixed I'm sure you'll progress even more and achieve all your running goals.

See you on Friday.

Thanks Alex,

You're right, it's definitely not what it was all about and there really isn't much of a benefit to half killing myself just to say I managed to complete the course. It's much more sensible, and the sense of achievement will be so much greater, to bow gracefully (sort of!) out of this one and do the next one within my target time...

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday and watching you all run - it's gonig to be a great weekend.

Hopefully I'll have you looking over your shoulder in the future!

03/04/2013 at 14:31
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hey Steve,

Well done on making the right decision. You always know that you've made the right choice when the moment you make it, you feel a weight has been lifted. I think part of the reason is that you can stop focusing all your energy on the 'shall I, shan't I?' question and channel it into the important matter of getting back in your trainers, setting new goals and so on. It sort of 'closes a door' but also allows you to move on to open some new ones. (Hmmm, not sure that is my most eloquent - better watch out or RW will be giving you my column)

I'm doing a talk tonight about last-minute marathon prep, and one of the things I'm going to point out is that the runners WILL go through a bad patch in the marathon, at some point. It's not a given, but it's almost certain and I've found that accepting this at the outset really helps. When it arrives, you can just 'greet it' 'oh right, here's that bad patch...' - do what you can to help it pass (head up, relax, check you are fuelled up, check pace) and then be confident that it will. And I was thinking that the same holds true for you coming to Paris. There will be difficult moments for you but that is only natural and it won't detract from, or spoil, the whole experience.

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you Steve - to see you progress in great leaps and bounds and feel your enthusiasm grow and grow. I am convinced you will be back running not long from now (by the way, one of my Rye Runners who is coming to run Paris this year had an arthroscopy last august and is now fitter than ever. He's 62!) Keep us posted of how it all goes once this project is over, won't you? Anyway, see you at St Pancras on Friday!

Thank you Sam,

A weight has definitely been lifted, despite the disappointment, so it's not all bad

This competition has opened so many doors for me and I've loved every second of it.

Haha but if they give me your column, I won't be able to read yours every month! I'll have Tonks' column instead 

It's been an absolute pleasure to work with you too, Sam, and I've gained more from it than you probably realise so, even though I've probably said it a hundred times in sixteen weeks, thanks so much for all your advice and support!

See you Friday!

03/04/2013 at 14:32
Mike Sheridan wrote (see)

Steve - sleep easy now for a few days.

Then "Terminator-esque" - you'll be back!

Have a blast in Paris and then good luck with the knee repair when you get back......

Cheers Mike, I will definitely be back and, hopefully, fitter than ever - there's nothing to stop me doing a shedload of core work in the meantime!

03/04/2013 at 14:36
Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Hi Steve,

What can I say that others haven't.  You've made the right decision, which is key.  I'm not sure if I would have been brave enough to make the decision if I'd been in your shoes.  LAst year whilst training for NYC marathon I pulled my calf, but didn't realise thats what it was,- just thought it was tightness, so ran more and more on it, and made it really bad- by which point, I needed to take a month off, which was the high mileage month.  I was still determined to do the race, even though my longest run had been 14 miles in July (for a November race).  Divine intervention stepped in, and it was the first NYC marathon to be cancelled, so I didn't do it, which has meant I've been able to get some decent training in this Spring, - I still notice the after effects of that calf tear now, so had I run, it would probably be even longer before I would be able to train like I am now, so what I'm saying is that you've made a really smart decision, and I have to say, watching a marathon is really fun too!!!  So you're gonna have a great time.

We'd be very happy to have you volunteering in the Colchester park run- the first one is this Saturday, so I guess you're busy, - I'll be run director on 27 April.  To become a volunteer, go to this page, and it gives you all the info:  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/colchestercastle/volunteer/

Look forward to seeing you there! and well done for being such an inspiration! 

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a tough decision but, ultimately, it was the only right decision. As was said in an earlier post, no-one wants to read about me hobbling round Paris on one leg in a huge amount of pain and I realised that that would only leave me feeling disappointed at the end anyway...!

I'm glad it worked out well for you in NY (although you must have felt gutted at the time!) and that fills me with hope that you are now training better for it, so thanks for that

Yes, this Saturday I shall be in France at a running expo. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it but the 27th sounds great!

03/04/2013 at 14:40
PC91 wrote (see)

Hi Mr Bacon,

I'm linked directly to the 'Followed Threads' so sometimes I forget that RW have attached their site to our forum !  By the way who's SamMurphyRuns ? One of your groupies who you've been sharing your valueable advice with.  62 years old ! You've got a couple of years ahead of you.  I get confused with everything I read but I think there was a 74 year old who did a sub 3h30 recently (could have been quicker ?).

Very considerate of you to help Mel with the carb loading, perhaps you could eat a few Creme Eggs for Sarah and drink a couple of beers for Shady.  They are going to love you at the restaurant as you tuck into your pizza followed by profiteroles, all these sacrifices you do for your friends.

I went to the physio dreading the worse, it's not wonderful but they are not going to shoot me, although he would have liked to after seeing the state I have let myself get into.  I'll see him again tomorrow, then several sessions after the marathon.  I don't know what will happen on Sunday.

There are over 900 strides in a kilometre, I've done 800km since November. My body has taken a pounding, any defauts in technic or posture will take their toll, and I am far from perfect.  My muscles have tighten up, in the case of my thigh, too much which caused my leg to block up.

After Sunday I'm going back to square 1.  I will (try to) learn how to run, concerntrating on short distances, attempting to improve my technic.  Warming up and cooling down properly !  Stretches, often neglected as I was eager to get out of the door or exhausted after the long runs.  I aim gradually to build up my runs so there is less of a shock to the system. I intend to read back through the threads, find out more on aceleration strides and recovery runs.

Your experience has given you a stronger base to build on, I don't know if you get bored of hearing this but thanks for sharing it with us.  Cheers.

Hi PC91,

Haha I wish Sam was my groupie! I think I'm bordering on being one of her groupies Well 62 years old is exactly twice my age, so I've got it all to come...

As for what you are saying about form, Sam very quickly made it clear that form and technique are so important and it makes a huge amount of sense - if you are running much more efficiently then you have to put in less effort to achieve the same result... I really try now to focus so much on form when I'm running and the results were there to see... Once I'm back to full fitness, that is something that I will definitely carry on trying to perfect.

Along with concentrating a bit more closely when running over slippery bridges!

03/04/2013 at 17:13

I have this written in my training diary, thought it was appropriate,

'Notre plus grand gloire n'est pas de ne jamais tomber mais de se relever a chaque  fois que l'on tombe.'

Have a good weekend, x

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 17:14
03/04/2013 at 19:49
Steve, yes must have posted at same time! I think at least you know that this is absolutely the right decision so go to Paris and enjoy the atmosphere and the weekend break from the norm. You are still part of the team.
I had asked restaurant to ensure there was pasta and plain tomato sauce available for those that wanted this to eat the night before, now the whole menu is open to you! Your dietary changes have been top notch as has what you have learnt on this journey. You have been a star!
04/04/2013 at 13:02
jenf wrote (see)

I have this written in my training diary, thought it was appropriate,

'Notre plus grand gloire n'est pas de ne jamais tomber mais de se relever a chaque  fois que l'on tombe.'

Have a good weekend, x

Hi Jen,

Thanks so much - that is a really lovely sentiment (not to mention a very true sentiment)...

For those who don't speak French (or who can't be bothered to Google the translation. Tut tut) it means:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall

Incredibly fitting and something I will definitely bear in mind this weekend

04/04/2013 at 13:13
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
Steve, yes must have posted at same time! I think at least you know that this is absolutely the right decision so go to Paris and enjoy the atmosphere and the weekend break from the norm. You are still part of the team.
I had asked restaurant to ensure there was pasta and plain tomato sauce available for those that wanted this to eat the night before, now the whole menu is open to you! Your dietary changes have been top notch as has what you have learnt on this journey. You have been a star!

Yes, the others really have made me feel like I am still very much part of the team and they all seem genuinely gutted that I won't be starting with them. They've all sent me great messages of support which, considering the excitement they must be feeling and their being so tightly focussed on their own races at the weekend, really does mean a lot to me. It just goes to show what a great bunch they are.

Haha I had already considered the significantly widened scope of what I would be allowed to eat in the restaurant - I'm sure that doesn't surprise you!

My dietary changes have been immense - I would go as far as to say that my diet is unrecognisable from when I started the competition. I've got these amazing new things in my diet now called, I think, vitamins. They're great!

04/04/2013 at 13:33

Hi Steve, gutted to see that you won't be doing the marathon, but the fact that you're still heading out to Paris to support the others says so much about you as a person. I look forward to updates on your recovery over the coming weeks!

Paul

04/04/2013 at 14:00

So... nearly there...

Tomorrow afternoon we'll be heading out from St Pancras station on our way to Paris.

It's not the way I wanted it and, as it draws closer, I'm realising more and more that this weekend is actually going to be pretty tough going. Seeing the excitement of the others, watching them prepare for the race, the amazing atmosphere of race day and, I'm sure, seeing them all go out and run fantastic races and achieve their goals... Well, it's not going to be easy knowing I could have been there with them.

There will be many, many more races for me and I will hopefully run lots of marathons in the future. I have some very ambitious goals going forwards that I want to achieve and this in itself is a very minor blip on the road to those goals so, in that respect, I just need to keep telling myself that and focus on the future and what I will achieve...

And if this were a "normal" marathon I'd signed up and trained for perhaps that would be simple enough and wouldn't prove too difficult. But the fact that the race was the culmination of this competition means that everything has been heightened and everything has been amplified so that I am left feeling incredibly deflated.

I picked up the latest issue of Runner's World whilst out shopping last night and when I got home and read it, it reminded me of how well it had all been going, the leaps forward I had made... and ultimately what feels like a huge opportunity I have missed.

I think if I had run other marathons in the past, it might not be so bad but because this was meant to be my first, because I've never achieved this before and never had the experience of completing 26.2 miles it is harder to realise that it is just another race and that there will be others. There's just this big, new, exciting thing that I've been building up to and putting so much into that has suddeny been taken away and isn't there anymore.

It's the knowledge that I'm not able, through no fault of my own or through any lack of effort, to finish this amazing journey I have started that has left me with a rather hollow feeling at the moment... but I also know that the journey, in other ways, is just beginning. I have tried very hard to remain positive throughout, to keep a smile on my face, but I'm allowing myself a few hours at least of feeling sorry for myself before I plaster the smile back on!

Time to look forward.

Working with Sam, Sarah, Ruth and the rest of the team and hearing all the views and advice on here from all the fantastic people who have commented on this thread and shared the experiences with me has helped me improve tremendously. It has given me a glimpse of my potential... so that has awoken that old competitive, perfectionist instinct in me.

I am going to run a marathon and I am going to run it within my target time and I am going to achieve those other goals I have set myself in the future. I will achieve a lot more than that as well.

This weekend is going to be fantastically exciting and rewarding and very tough to cope with in equal measures but I'm sure my positivity will shine through, helped in no small part by the fantastic Target 26.2 team.

I am going to have a little more time on my hands in Paris than I was really planning on (!) so I am going to try to keep everyone as updated as possible on how it is all going. I'm not sure what the internet access is going to be like but I certainly plan on taking lots of pics and I should be able to upload them fairly easily to Twitter, with as many posts on here as internet access will allow... so if you would like to keep up to date with how the fab four get on throughout the weekend, follow me on Twitter (@Steve_Waites) where I promise to keep up a blow-by-blow account!

801 to 820 of 848 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.