The FLM running surface

Soft going or hard pounding?

11 messages
15/03/2005 at 12:15
Hi - I am an injured runner desperately hoping to recover in time for my first FLM. My injury is greatly worsened by hard surfaces. Can someone tell me, please: how much of FLM is soft-ish tarmac, hard paving stones, cobbles etc? Thanks!
cougie    pirate
15/03/2005 at 12:19
No cobbles this year - mercifully for you.

26.2 miles of tarmac I reckon.

It's not looking good !
15/03/2005 at 12:21
Ive been told 26 miles of road.

That said when i did run London there was a section near tower bridge which I think we run along for FLM and that was very smooth and polished and very hard( much harder than the road)It seemed to be a granite type material. Im not looking forward to that again and if I see it coming Ill take my walk break to save my poor knees!
15/03/2005 at 12:22
Thanks, Cougie - but why does 26.2 miles of tarmac not sound good? It's much softer than paving stones - or have I missed your meaning?
cougie    pirate
15/03/2005 at 12:26
I've never thought of tarmac as being particularly soft myself. I suppose it is compared to pavement - but if you're suffering now - it can't be good ?

Maybe you'd be better off deferring - you don't wanna cripple yourself for one run.
15/03/2005 at 12:27
it's all on roads, mostly concrete. not sure if there's any or much tarmac. I think the cobbles have gone this year.

BUT, it's 26.2 miles. Soft or hard it'll find out any niggles.

Maybe think about defering?
15/03/2005 at 12:27
soft tarmac - errrrm I'm with Cougie on this one!
15/03/2005 at 12:33
Thanks everyone. Due to my injury, I am something of a connoisseur of the different hardness of surfaces now, and believe me, tarmac does my particular injury less harm than paving stones. But rest assured, I am not going to be stupid - if I feel I have not recovered enough, I won't run. Thanks again.
15/03/2005 at 16:25
It will hurt whatever !
15/03/2005 at 16:36
Molesworth's right - there's a big difference, and tarmac is easier on the pins.

Paul - are you completely sure about that? This is London here, not tracks around my local farm!
15/03/2005 at 20:28
road running is road running, but not sure roads are made of concrete though, tarmac generally!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.