the Marathon of the North

advice needed

201 to 220 of 465 messages
07/04/2013 at 13:24

Great news on getting the packs. I only remembered to enter about 4 days ago 

Shielsy fingers crossed.

22 mile undulating trail run around the river Wear from Washington towards Sunderland and back. Feels great to have got the last long run in, let taper madness commence

07/04/2013 at 16:58

Thanks for the crossed fingers!  

It must've worked as I went out today and managed 20.20 miles.  I was hoping to do 22.22 (that was my last LSR when I trained for London) but once I hit 20 my legs said 'No more!'  It was a struggle towards the end (not sure where I'm going to get another 6 miles from) but it's done.

Not as lovely as yesterday, weather-wise - quite cool and a bit windy at times - so I was still out with a running jacket, gloves and a long-sleeved top.

Now let's see if I can walk tomorrow 

Well done on the undulating 22 miles, Tim.

07/04/2013 at 19:58
Well done everyone on the last LSR. I did Parkrun yesterday, broke my PB but woke up with a few niggles, bit of last few week nerves and decided to sack off my last really long run. Decided that I didn't want to push it too much.

Hopefully this will work in my favour, as I pushed it before for my last marathon, didn't listen to the signs and broke down at mile 18 with a bad knee.

I have done 2 x 20 miles and 2 x 18 miles during the last 12 weeks which should hopefully see me through okay.

What is everyone doing in the next 2 weeks? I have been following a sub 3:30 plan that says I should do 18 miles next week as a final long run but it just feels a bit too close. Does a 12/13 mile run at marathon pace sound suitable?
Edited: 07/04/2013 at 19:59
07/04/2013 at 20:52

I will be not be running further than 16 miles from now. Will probably do a mixture of MP, 10K pace  and slower running on my long runs. 13 miles at MP will take it out of you.

07/04/2013 at 20:55
Cheers Tim. Slow 12 miler then next weekend.
08/04/2013 at 11:19

got my pack on my return yesterday, the smallest pack I have have received for a run and with 4 pins in it! Glad knee improving Shielsy Know what you mean about feeling priveleged to be able to do these runs Adrian. My children are old enough to leave while I go out now. I have just returned from my LSR as they are getting out of bed! I did 21 miles in just under 4 hours so my dream of 5hour mara might be possible. Now need a big cake! Felt good and strong. Must share a funny story....a friend asked me, do you sometimes go for 2 runs in one day as she had seen me twice....I said it would have been the same run, it is just that I am out for a long time! Getting close now....

08/04/2013 at 11:57

Well done on the 21 miles, Lily!  Hope you've got yourself a nice cake.

My legs feel pretty beaten up today after yesterday's 20 miles, but I think it's just the usual muscle soreness you get after putting your legs through the mill ... I'm not noticing any specific knee pain *she says carefully optimistically*

09/04/2013 at 16:32

Thanks Shielsy, I had a lovely cream slice and then lots of chocolate. Feel ok today, just stiff legs. Glad you have not got specific knee pain. Fingers crossed that continues

09/04/2013 at 20:33

Lily - yum on the cream slice!

I went out tonight after work planning on doing 5 miles at 9 m/m, but somehow ended up running at 8.30 m/m.  Felt good to be running at a quicker pace again, even if it was just a few miles.

10/04/2013 at 22:27

Are you lot all out running or something, lol?

Went out tonight after work for a steady 8 miles.  Felt really good.

I also went to Start Fitness at lunchtime and invested in a cheap foam roller, to iron out niggles. I had a quick go tonight before my run, and it takes some getting used to just to do it right ... feels like it'll be a good core workout, never mind massaging muscles.

11/04/2013 at 07:13
Hehe! Glad your runs are continuing to be good Shielsy - and a foam roller! Awesome. I love mine - may be worth having a little look on YouTube as there are some good video workouts...

I'm super busy at the moment - I've come back from two weeks holidays to working somewhat condensed hours as I have 10 days off around the two mara's. It all feels very near and very real...

Tapering is continuing - have a study day today and my usual 13-15 midweek run is 10. Doesn't really feel worth going out! Lol. Weekend long run is going to be around 15 miles, I'm a little unsure as they've all been above 20. I'm trying to listen to my body as I feel both tired and a little beat up...

How's everyone else?
11/04/2013 at 13:49

Hi everyone, glad all going well Shielsy. Def listen to your body Adrian, maybe you need more rest before the first big day?......I am still resting after Monday but will try to get out tonight as my legs feel a lot better.

11/04/2013 at 14:58

well done on all these long LSRs!  I'm feeling a bit pushed for time at the moment with the kids off school for the holidays, but have managed early morning 17 and 18 milers over the last week, so I'm hoping that's "enough"!  Enjoying the better weather, bodes well for a good summer of running

Feeling pretty good at the moment though, hoping I can dodge all the horrible lurgies around at the moment.  I'm downing so much Vit C I might turn orange  Anything not to be ill.

Love my foam roller.  I went to a foam roller "class" at a local physio, which was handy to have someone else watch and say whether I was doing it right or not.  My children think it's a light sabre however...

Happy running everyone x

11/04/2013 at 15:08

Note to self: add Vit C and fresh orange juice to shopping list.  I've already been to Boots and stocked up on Compeed plasters.

Another note to self: maybe 2 weeks before a marathon is not the time to think about breaking in new shoes to work, as lovely as they might be ... ouch!

Please can someone confirm if the baggage area is indoors or at least covered?  I'm not sure how waterproof my holdall will be.

Also - what's getting away from the city via Metro like?  I know getting away from the GNR is an absolute nightmare.  Although it'll be worse this year as there's an extra race and more entrants.

Toilets - would those who've done it before say there's enough en route?  Amazingly, I didn't need the toilet once when doing London, but my bladder is usually on the 'nervous' side come race-day so I want to be assured I'll be ok.

What are the toilets like at the start? Portaloos, or do we get to use the stadium ones?

11/04/2013 at 19:39

Compeed is on offer at boots - 2 packs for £7 which is under the £4 for one from my local Sainsburys.....

I'm pretty sure the bagge area is indoor if I recall correctly.....metro should be ok but it was quieter last year - there are a few more events and so maybe more spectators ? Hope it's not too bad as I'm intending to get a lift to and from the station and parking wasn't an issue last year.....

Toliets at the start are superb - indoor, stadium jobs. No idea en route - does it say on the race leaflet ?

11/04/2013 at 20:37

RE toilets it says that there's plenty of toilets where the water stations are ... but doesn't say if there's toilets next to every water station.  Would be good if this were true as there seems to be plenty of water stations.

11/04/2013 at 21:03
They must have increased the water stations then, last year they felt few and far between....
12/04/2013 at 07:10

Adrian, that's interesting (about water stations) ... maybe you were so 'in the zone' you just didn't notice them .

According to the race leaflet there's stations at approximately 4.5km/8km, 10/11km, 17km, 21km, 24km, 27km, 29km, 32km, 33.5km, 36.5km, 39km, 40.5km - and at the finish.  So, we'll see.

The water comes in sachets ... I've never had water in a sachet before so that'll be exciting.  Hope it's straightforward.

I have done races were water is provided in paper cups, which is near impossible when you're trying to race.  Then, I usually end up opening my mouth and chucking the water in the general direction of my face, hoping that some will hit the target.

12/04/2013 at 07:36
Yeah, maybe I was in the zone. I recall the first station was 4 or 5 miles in. It was baking hot and that didn't help. I'm going to wear my camelbak so will be prepared this time...
The water sachets, as cool as they sound, I found quite hard to use. Memorably one exploded in / over my face and torso. Think you had to use some mouth black magic to open them!
14/04/2013 at 13:04

how is everyone? I keep thinking that this time in 2 weeks I will still be running! Feeling nervous and excited. After my big run on Monday I have just had a few short runs since. Planning an 11 mile run along the river in York on Tues as a complete change from my usual routes. Shielsy maybe worth contacting the organisers of the M of the N re the toilet situation. They are brilliant at answering any queries on facebook or I guess you can go through the website. My new worries are about what I will wear on the day. I have been sent a charity t shirt that isn't a tech one so may wear my base layer underneath. But that won't work if it is too hot! We had sachets of water at Manchester last year and they were v challenging to open. Think at some stations they had started to open them for you. Like you Adrian I remember one exploding over me but I was soaked anyway from the continuous rain. I feel taper madness coming on.........

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.