the Marathon of the North

advice needed

301 to 320 of 465 messages
26/04/2013 at 10:36

madbee, I drove over from Durham last year and there was loads of parking.  I was there early because I was giving a lift to a marathoner and it was much earlier start for marathon than the 10k last time, which isn't the case this time - but still I'd hope that as long as you arrive in a "timely fashion" it shouldn't be too bad.  The parking was all marshalled so quite stress free.

Lily good to hear you're feeling better and also positive   I need a bit of that positivity please, I've got a knot in my stomach about the whole thing now.  That's the trouble with taper, I lose the confidence that I can run 6 miles let alone 26!!

Oliver if you hit your first goal it will be a huge achievement I think, for a first marathon especially.  I hope you do get your GFA place since you've worked so hard, but as you said yourself you're young and spritely   There's always Paris! And about a million others for that matter.

Shielsy don't put yourself down - VLM you have to work through all those crowds of people, which certainly isn't the case at Kielder!!  You should do Kielder, it's a stunning run.  I'd do it again this year but it's a bit close to York.

26/04/2013 at 15:13

Last year there was free parking at the Stadium of light. I parked there and it was fine. I think there is free parking at the stadium again this year.

26/04/2013 at 18:01

Thanks guys, that's reassuring - was not much looking forward to working out the marvels of the public transport system, effective as it looks!  Just one more thing to panic about that you can't control on race day  

Excited now!

26/04/2013 at 18:24

good to hear from you all Daisy, I am entered for York too! Couldn't resist a local marathon. Anyone know what the weather will be like on Sunday. I ran Manchester last year so anything better than solid rain will be an improvement, and I so want it to be nice for the spectators. Feeling so nervous and excited.........

26/04/2013 at 19:47

Excited and nervous here too!! 

26/04/2013 at 20:00

Tim, thats just wanted to hear mate, thanks a lot bud, I will set off at sub-3 pace and see how I'm feeling, first marathon, hopefully of many so I want to enjoy it first and foremost! I do love racing! Plenty of years to do London so if I don't make it next year then so be it! Best of luck on Sunday mate, hope it all goes to plan for you! 

Daisy rain thanks a lot! I would be stupid to be dissapointed if I get below 3.10, thats what I've worked for, so what if they do change the quali times it's still my original target!!  

on a random note I was in a car accident today on the Humber Bridge! Couldn't eve write the last 24 hours of my life! It's been a rollercoaster! Fortunately I think I'm alright, just a lot of stress with police reports etc! Not what I need right now!!! Haha!

27/04/2013 at 08:00

Only one sleep to go! A busy day of DIY today, then the reward of a few hours running tomorrow. Rock on, and good luck everyone!

Oliver - hope you're OK there...

27/04/2013 at 09:32

so sorry to hear about your accident Oliver, take care and don't underestimate shock and recovery. I had an accident back in Nov so understand a little of how you are feeling. I wondered if I would ever feel normal again driving but I am fine now. Don't overdo the diy Bees! Daisy, you can run 26.2, you have done it before and have trained hard, lots of positive vibes Just watched the clip on the front of the website, hilarious with the whistling wind! Very very nervous and excited.........

27/04/2013 at 09:43

Checking in to wish everyone good luck with all your aims and times etc tomorrow. I'm out all day with the parents so won't be around to do so later.

Feel free to say 'Hi' if you recognise my number/kit before the run (Or indeed during!!). I'll see you all on Sunday night/Monday for the inevitable tales!!!

Best of Luck!

27/04/2013 at 09:46

Had to pull out of this race after picking up an injury when going for a sports massage last week, devastated.

27/04/2013 at 09:48

so sorry to hear that Paul

27/04/2013 at 10:48

Just got back from marshalling at Riverside parkrun (6 miles outside of Sunderland). It's blooming cold and windy out there! BBC weather shows northerly wind today but forecast for a warmer southerly wind on Sunday.

27/04/2013 at 11:17

Yeah I'm fine thanks guys! Had a steady run round parkrun this morning and felt fine, and good to go! Not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be!

So sorry to hear that Paul, what a huge shame!

Best of luck everyone!

27/04/2013 at 12:18

wishing everyone the best for tomorrow have really appreciated all your advice and support in the run up to the M of the N..........

27/04/2013 at 12:50

I've got butterflies, but nice, excited ones I think! Really hope it's not too windy tomorrow... Good luck all  

Glad to hear you're ok Oliver, that sounds a bit scary - I lived in Hull until quite recently, so the Humber Bridge is a familiar spot - not somewhere I'd fancy flying off the road though 

27/04/2013 at 13:49

Wishing everyone all the best. Many thanks for the advice given and I finally found my number- 0965.

27/04/2013 at 15:38

Thanks Lily, was my first and trained hard since January for it.

Going to rest, enter a few races over the summer and look to start training again for either Nottingham or Kielder.

27/04/2013 at 15:47

Paul that must be so disappointing, I am sorry.  Quite right though to start focussing on the next one.  Onward and upward eh?

Hope you're OK Oliver.

Just think, this time tomorrow it will all be done and dusted (I hope I'm not still struggling round anyway!!).  Strange feeling when something's been in the diary so long.

Best of luck everybody, hope you really enjoy the race and all the plans come to fruition.

See you all on the "other side" (and Lily possibly on the York thread too!)

27/04/2013 at 18:15

My sister did the Junior miles of the North today in 7.35 so fairly confident I can beat that in my final mile! (Hope so anyway or I owe her £20!)

Got a bowl of pasta and back in hotel now to rest up!

best of luck everybody! 

Here is an updated list of everyones colours and numbers!

hellsbells74 - Number: 0973- Purple Vest/??? - Time: 04:10 - 04:20

Adrian - Number: 0518- White Tee?/??? - Time: 03:55 - 04:10

Tim - Number: 1538 - Yellow Vest/Blue Shorts - Time: 02:50 - 02:58

Shielsy - Number:0760 - Yellow Vest/Black shorts - Time: 04:00

Oliver - Number: 1351 black tshirt/black shorts/yellow shoes - Time: 03:00

Capples - Number: 0965 Red/??? - Time: 03:29:59

Lily of the Valley - Number: 0764 - NSPCC green t-shirt - Time: 5:00

27/04/2013 at 19:31

Best of luck everyone running tomorrow, I'm hoping to see a lot of runners coming past the Stadium at 19 miles, then get to a point between 24 and 25 miles to cheer everyone on

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.