the Marathon of the North

advice needed

21 to 40 of 465 messages
06/11/2012 at 16:11

thanks Adrian for all that advice I don't have a garmin but use a stopwatch and do record my runs. Maybe need to think about getting a garmin! thank you for the other useful ideas. I really appreciate you taking the time to share what works for you. I think these forums are great. I really pushed myself at Tatton and was pleased with my time but feel stiff and tired now. Off to do the supermarket soon so I may just follow your advice and buy a nice cream cake! All the best with your training.

08/11/2012 at 22:57
Hope the cream cake was nice!

No problems about replying - don't do it much on here but the MOTN has a special place in my heart so feel compelled!

20 miler for me on Saturday - lets keep thus as our ad hoc reporting thread for training!!!
12/12/2012 at 06:51

pre training training taken a bit of a knock as 2 weeks ago turned my car over when I skidded on ice. Relieved to have walked away just bruised and very shaken but nervous on the ice. There is a lot of it round at the mo. Also very busy with work and Christmas. Hope to do a few runs a week then start the plan in January. Hope everyone elses training going ok

14/12/2012 at 20:07

Slow going here the last week or so. Weather has knocked my mileage for six - November I ran a total mile pb of 101. This last week has been 7 and that was all tonight!!

Still, training really starts in Jan 2013......right ?

27/12/2012 at 09:32
Update. Keeping the miles up well over this last week. Xmas Eve slammed a 11miler, yesterday 13 mile on quite a challenging course. Trying to keep hitting hills as I think this was an omission training last year. Looking through my Garmin, was surprised to see my 17 mile time was better by 20 mins (compared to early in the year).
Feel confident going into January. If I can avoid injury and keep the miles up its looking good.

How's it going Lily?
29/12/2012 at 09:20

Glad training going well Adrian. I am a bit behind as took it steady after my car accident, it has been icy and now have a cold! I am comfortably running 8 miles and will follow my old plan from the Manchester Mara from last year. It worked and got me to the finish. I hope to improve on my time of 5hrs17 in very bad weather conditions. Looking forward to getting onto the plan again. I was wondering why M of the N is not reviewed on this site. Any ideas?

29/12/2012 at 12:55
I thought there was a page of info I read once on here somewhere. I may be wrong though.....I'll go an have a look.....(ps good going on the training!)
30/12/2012 at 13:14
Had a look and couldn't see it - weird thought there was!
07/01/2013 at 08:35

yeh! First day of 16 week plan! I plan to follow same plan as last year (GMM beginners plan) but it starts on lower mileage than I am doing now. Not sure what to do, will probably follow plan but maybe increase speed?! How is everyone else getting on with their training? Lots of people think I am mad entering another marathon but I love it!

10/01/2013 at 20:03

Going good here - this thread remains quiet though!!! I'm seeing a bit of advertising around here with respect to this marathon so it makes me feel my few weeks of madness (This, London and Edinburgh) is getting very, very close.

Excited though. Training going well and have a 21 week plan. It's all getting real.

Is anyone else entering this as an aside ?

10/01/2013 at 20:45

I live in Sunderland and had to pull out last year due to injury but I did the 10k then went to help on a water station. No great crowds but lots of vocal support from the 10kers.. The course has been changed this year and I have ran bits of over the last few weeks and it is now more of a natural run with less wiggly bits. There is the added advantage that there is a half marathon this year with the half marathon course being the first half of the marathon course. In my opinion the second half of the course will be the best. In the marathon your return to the stadium of light for the half way and then head out to the Sunderland seafront.

Not much choice of hotels in Sunderland but there are value guest houses on the sea front, about 20-30 mins walk to the start.

10/01/2013 at 22:14
Tried to reply once - must hae been a glitch. I ran it last year pal - see my first post. Thought the support, especially on the outer part of the course was amazing!!! Are you running it this year? Seems to be much more publicised...
10/01/2013 at 23:13
Last year I ran manchester and the marathon of the north 1week apart. No comparison, Manchester was run through Dunham Massey which is great but also through an industrial estate which was pretty bad. Sunderland was fantastic by comparison great run over the main bridge and up the coast road, I'm stuck with Manchester this year as its my local and they are on same day
13/01/2013 at 07:08

Great to have people's thoughts on this marathon all sounds really positive. A couple of things......what is car parking like (do I need to book somewhere?) and ......toilet facilities? Little things that seem big just before a marathon.

Big news for me.......from someone who planned to run one marathon a year (I did my first, Manchester last year) I have now entered a second one! This week a marathon in my home city of York was announced in Oct. I couldn't resist and just got in before it filled up in 4 days! Mad but excited!

13/01/2013 at 08:37
Parking was ok last year, next to the stadium. I noticed this year it says 'limited parking' but I'm sure it will be ok. Toliet wise is superb - the stadium was opened and all of its facilities were used. Amazing, clean and plentiful!

I saw York filled up in 4 days! Congrats on getting a place!
14/01/2013 at 06:21

thanks Adrian for the helpful info now have the challenge of training in the snow!

22/01/2013 at 13:07

Hi Lily - I'm in same position as you; have enterered (actually was entered as a Christmas present!!) into Marathon of the North which will be my first marathon, and then got all carried away and signed up for the Yorkshire Marathon (I live in Hull)! Very excited although gutted that a horrible cough virus has scuppered any running for over a week - trying not to panic just get myself better before heading outside. Hotel in Sunderland is booked and hopefully can walk to the start (think will be a taxi back though!)

22/01/2013 at 13:57

Hi hellsbells74. Think these will be 2 good marathons. I ran my first last April and had a real downer afterwards so having an Autumn one to look forward to and prepare for will be good. Just could not resist York. What training plan are you following? I am doing the same as last year, the beginners plan from Manchester Marathon website. I had a week sort of off when I went on holiday so a break to get better should be fine and you have lots of weeks left.Hope other members might be able to advise you here.Congrats on entering your first marathons Someone said to me you will only ever run one first marathon so enjoy every minute!

24/01/2013 at 13:41

Well thought I may as well go for two as I was doing one anyway!! I'm following a 16 week plan put together by my brother ( he's done 4 marathons so far and is a sports psychologist so he seems to know what he's talking about!) - per week I'm doing one long run, a shorter race pace run, parkrun and an interval session on the treadmill. hoping to get back out there this weekend but will take it steady til I feel 100%.

Hope your training's going well

25/01/2013 at 19:20
Training going well despite snow but overdid it on Tues with 13 miles that left me with 2 day headache. Prob not hydrated enough after. Any advice welcome? I take water with me and dextrose tablets but perhaps need to drink more when I get back
21 to 40 of 465 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.