the Marathon of the North

advice needed

441 to 460 of 465 messages
12/05/2013 at 23:21

Having returned home from running my first Ultra (Dukeries 40) I found the email from the MOTN people concerning the distance. I had pushed myself hard round the Sunderland streets and managed to get a GFA time for London (or so I thought). To say I'm more than a little peed off would be an understatement. Sunderland was my second road marathon and I ran it because I was chasing that GFA time. My first road marathon was Hull last year where exactly the same effing thing happened. I am supposed to be running York (my hometown) in Oct, really don't see the point now. Odds on lightning striking a third time after several more months of prep? Gutted.

13/05/2013 at 07:51

I have entered York too Robert. I have run 3 Jane T York 10ks and found them all to be well organised and supported so I am hopeful for the York Mara. I am gutted for those who wanted gfa or it was their pb. I am really wondering where it was that we went wrong? The whole day was difficult for me and looking back the only positives were the ample toilets, my family watching and the fab support from other runners and marshalls...I crawled over the finish line. Looking forward to York now

13/05/2013 at 08:38

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I ran the same route through the Sheepfolds area as Sherpa76. Does anyone know which way we should have gone? My garmin trace is below:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304820373

13/05/2013 at 12:58

I've just emailed the organisers asking for them to publish a map of the intended route through sheepfold and the route we all allegedly followed. Perhaps a few other people would like to do likewise, if they are curious as I am.

13/05/2013 at 12:59

It really is a shame for those who needed GFA times and I can understand the disappointment. For the rest of us in my eyes we've all done a marathon (and yes I agree the walk to the stadium and back to the taxi easily covers the 264 metres!) and we worked bloody hard at it so I'm trying not to let this take away from my sense of achievement. I was a little disappointed with a couple of fellow runners I know who were a bit keen to point out how I had only 'nearly' done a marathon - damn sight more than they've done!!

13/05/2013 at 14:19

will def do that Helly as yes I am very curious as to where we went wrong! Agree wholeheartedly with your comments Hellsbells. Absolutely feel I ran a marathon. Gutted for the gfa runners and those who ran a pb. It was a difficult day for me all round and I am now looking forward to York

13/05/2013 at 15:11

I might be on Tyne Tees News tonight(18:15 ish) talking about MOTN!

13/05/2013 at 15:38
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

I might be on Tyne Tees News tonight(18:15 ish) talking about MOTN!

I'm working, so will text my OH and tell him to record it!  How did this come about?  Can't wait

13/05/2013 at 16:32

Hellsbells74 that's awful what has been said.  My worst nightmare! All that distance and we want to feel some sort of achievement.  Whilst in training because I wanted to hit the 18 miles marker I literally ran up and down my street watching the GPS get to 18 miles.  All this kind of effort over and over for months, hours of our time to be accurate and get pb to find out the actual evenis was incorrect. Disappointed! Trying to remain positive about what has been achieved and move forward.  I teach fitness classes in the sunderland area so I'm not looking forward to an easy week as it was all over the local papers and news.  I had enough of the road cloasure issue last week. (Like I had personally shut the streets of sunderland!) 

13/05/2013 at 22:11

I know it's such a shame, I wish they'd kept it to themselves personally! I've lost my runbritain ranking, I was listed as 15th fastest U23 over marathon distance, that's now vanished, and lost my place at London next year, unless I can go sub 2.45 at Chester in October, hmm!

13/05/2013 at 22:33

I have heard rumours that the GFA for VLM will not be affected... hope that turns out to be true.

I feel a bit sad about it all really.  Sunderland doesnt have so much going for it, the MOTN could have become a real positive rallying point.  Though I did always think "Marathon of the North" was overegging it a bit!  I wonder how many people will enter next year given there's not much to sell it on at the moment.  I was so far off the pace that a couple of hundred metres, couple of minutes here or there didn't make a huge difference.  My initial time, the gun time, was probably the accurate one as it turned out.  So I'm gutted for the people it makes a difference for (hoping it won't of course), but for me, it's just saddening rather than maddening.

Shielsy will hunt out GNR thread, I'll be doing that one too!

13/05/2013 at 23:57
To say I'm gutted for you all is an understatement.

But I'm curious as to how it's come to the organisers attention. Did lots of people complain that it seemed 'under distance', and they had to investigate using GPS evidence etc. Or did they know on the day that they'd sent you all the wrong way, but kept quiet until now? Does anyone know?
14/05/2013 at 00:03

On the Facebook page for marathon of the north it said just days after that people complained as their gps was giving different mileage.  They said on this page they would investigate.   I agree they should of keep quiet. 

14/05/2013 at 07:13

Damned either way I think. 

Being back to work, it's surprising how many people know and also everyone is genuinely shocked. The regular comment is mainly around how can a course be short? 

Good point Helly Hanson - chatting to the Missus over the weekend we're at a loss as to where the course went wrong - ill email them today asking for a more specific description.

As for next year....it's early days...I wanted MOTN to be my marathon 'streak' each year. But we're planning to run one together - VLM or Edinburgh and I do wonder if I need a break from Sunderlad. I worry this could be the same for lots of people and I'd hate for the event to close...but I must say my feeling is if the organisers can't even measure the distance rigdon'tworry I really want to chance this experience again??

14/05/2013 at 07:18

Shazmo - the first thing I said as I crossed the finish line was, 'That was short!' as I knew my Garmin was always pretty accurate on all the other races I've done (and I tend as a rule not to run on the pavement as I'm very accident prone and always imagine I'm going to trip up a kerb).  A few of my friends I travelled on the metro home with also reckoned it was short, by the same distance, and my friend who did the half texted me that night to say she thought the half was short too.  Then I posted the question on the MOTN facebook page and others also came on to agree with me.

I'm guessing they would have kept quiet about their mistake, had lots of people not spoke about it.

I heard that Alison Dixon, who knows Steve Cram, either posted on her twitter or Facebook page 'Shhhhh' when someone mentioned on one of those mediums about the doubt about the distance, and that was just after the event. Hmmm ...

However, well done to Tim - it was good to see you speaking up for all of us on the news  

14/05/2013 at 07:22

That's interesting Shielsy - I read a tweet from Aly that was quite harsh, saying something like its not the Olympics so chill out.

*sigh*

14/05/2013 at 09:26
Adrian Brooks 3 wrote (see)

That's interesting Shielsy - I read a tweet from Aly that was quite harsh, saying something like its not the Olympics so chill out.

*sigh*

That is harsh ... and as a runner she more than anyone should appreciate why people are angry.  But then she's apparently friendly with Steve Cram, so ...

14/05/2013 at 12:11

I wonder if there is anyway I could watch the Tyne Tees clip on line as I could not get it on tv in sunny Yorkshire. Gutted for you Oliver, hope you can still get your gfa.I have e-mailed the organisers hoping for some explanation. Agree with you Adrian I won't risk entering again. If I don't get into VLm I will probably go for Windermere. Resting this week as have foot injury......hope everyone else is ok

14/05/2013 at 13:11

I wouldn't be too harsh on the "Not Quite a Marathon of the North" organisers if it was a genuine marshalling mistake - I've marshalled races for my club (albeit smaller and cheaper ones) and we have occasionally lost a few runners. I'm just slightly disappointed this year, compared to VERY ANGRY last year at Manchester (where baggage tent chaos combined with cold & wet weather left me and plenty of others dangerously close to hypothermia). I can't help feel that they were asking for trouble with such a complex and convoluted route, with three different races going on at once. But hey-ho, it's not the first marathon to get the distance wrong and it won't be the last. I just hope I'm not at the next one.

14/05/2013 at 14:25

Helly I was also at Manchester last year and was driven to looking for a different marathon this year and chose Sunderland. I believed it was well organised and supported....to me the only positives were the loos, brilliant support from other runners, marshalls and my family but the route was confusing and I was often running on my own having to ask people the way! I was quite far back in the field but there were others an hour behind me. Maybe next year will be my year for vlm.............

441 to 460 of 465 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.