the Marathon of the North

advice needed

61 to 80 of 465 messages
07/02/2013 at 11:07

After a tough Preston marathon in October and the usual Christmas indulgences, I was deciding to give marathons a miss this spring (or retire!) but i'm now contemplating doing this race again as I loved it last year (see earlier post). Recently did a half which went better than expected! It's between this and Windermere! Will be different this year though with the half marathon running alongside the marathon. Not sure if I like that idea as I did Vienna a few years ago which did the same making the first half quite congested. Does make you go off a bit slower though which can be a good thing. mmm  decisions decisions!

07/02/2013 at 11:16
Just do it pal. Only live once and there must be ALWAYS a reason to have yet more medal clutter in yer house ...
07/02/2013 at 12:02

took me longer than I hoped but despite a sore swollen big toe made it round go for it Dave. I was thinking about Windermere but glad I have gone for M of the N. I prefer a run in April and on closed roads but it does sound it has fantastic support and wonderful views of course!

07/02/2013 at 12:53

Thanks, I'm in!! Will enter tonight! It will be luck or unluck 13th marathon for me! My addictive runners mind is now making me think 'could I do both?'. Three weeks apart! Did London and then MON two weeks apart last year. Second one was messy though!!

07/02/2013 at 13:11

Don't say that Dave - that's what I'm doing this year with Edinburgh a few weeks later ;0

Good work Lily - time be dammed, miles under the belt are what matters

07/02/2013 at 13:20

I wouldn't worry too much Adrain. My training last year wan't great and was a bit unluck as both were really hot conditions!

My girlfriend did Edinburgh last year. She's a natural at marathons, unlike me! Great event and a fast course. That day was even hotter than my races though which we didn't expect. Have you done it before?

07/02/2013 at 13:28

No, neither London or Edinburgh. London will be about soaking up the atmosphere - really looking forward to it. Edinburgh could be a possible PB - Sunderland may take the hit as I will be trying to keep some in reserve so may keep my pace slow deliberately.

Been looking at the Northumberland Coast Marathon today - early March and looks perfect warm up/prep race lol. Bloody addicted here!!

07/02/2013 at 13:36

Gosh, you are addicted but I know, that's how marathons get you!

Done London 3 times and it's my pb course. Wouldn't be able to describe properly how wonderful I think it is. Truly life changing! Support is unbelievable! No other race that i've done comes near.

I'm hoping to improve on both last years London and MON this year. I'm already faster than last year, but need to stick in some longer runs. Sub 3.45 is realistic for me I think. Any idea what time you'll be aiming for?

07/02/2013 at 14:01

I know! emailed my wife earlier re Northumberland and recived quite a short reply! lol. Ill work on that....

Cannot wait for London. Entered on a whim (1st time entry) and couldn't believe my luck getting it. Bit hamstrung with MON though - as long as we live up here really want to keep it as my marathon 'streak' and do it every year. 

I've only done the one Mara so far and had quite a rough leg injury so missed a month of training in Feb '12 - really hit my chances of a top time. I came in at 4.34 which I'm still proud of given everything. Current pacing on long runs seems to put me around 4 or maybe sub 4. Think that's do-able but I'm having to really slam on the brakes when running - don't want to over do it / injure myself etc etc. The big difference this year is my body is pulling to run - did 21 last sat, 2 days off and then HAD to go out despite having quite  a heavy chest which did not bother me at all on the run!!! And I feel stronger - last years long runs I wanted to die at the end - now I'm a bit like ' is it really time to stop' lol.

Long post - short answer - aiming for sub 4. Would take just over 4. 

07/02/2013 at 14:57

4.35 is still a good first mara time. Certainly sounds like sub 4 is achievable. I just sneaked under at London and most of mine have been around that.

All looking good if you're already doing 21 mile runs and your body is still enthusiastic about doing more! I'm nowhere near that distance yet and stamina is a real problem for me. I can do a 1.40 half now but tend to run out of gas on the longer runs. Partly my fault in the past by not doing the proper training, liking beer too much and not building it up slowly! When I did train well and ate well I was down to 3.35.

You've got me at it now, bad influence!! Autumn options, Liverpool, Great Langdale, Berlin! Need to go to Marathon runners anonymous !

07/02/2013 at 22:07

Hehehe! I was so energised by this (and a couple of other threads) I went out for a cheeky, and totally not needed 8 miler!!! lol. This was meant to be a rest day !!!!

Right. Rest tomorrow. Must happen. LSR Saturday.........

07/02/2013 at 22:45

Well, its done. Marathon of the North entered as well as windermere! No backing out now!

08/02/2013 at 08:44
Get in fella!!! Great stuff.......
09/02/2013 at 12:33
Another 20 miler today. I'm resting for a few days. Bloody knackered.
Have a good weekend all
09/02/2013 at 13:50

Well done Adrian. Puts me to shame! I've gone down with flu so am having an enforced weekend off. Hope to be back next week. 13 miler on the hills Wed or Thurs then a fell race in the Isle of Man next weekend. Enjoy your very well earned rest!

09/02/2013 at 14:10

Thanks fella, the two aberdeen angus burgers for lunch made the run a little more palatable....

09/02/2013 at 17:04

Great, Dave for entering the 2 marathons brilliant Adrian, I guess that gives you confidence for London and the MOTN. I am resting till Monday now because of a swollen big toe. It only means me missing a short run from my plan and I'll start again on Monday.....

11/02/2013 at 19:32

Hello all

Just thought I'd pop on here and show my face as I'm hoping (assuming I can stay injury-free) to do this marathon this year.

It'll be my second - I did London in 2011 and absolutely loved it. I got round in 4:28:16 so I'm hoping to get round this one quicker ... but who knows?  All it takes is for it to be windy on the day and planned paces could go out the window.

Can you tell me if we get information about the course/venue/etc posted to us in the coming weeks along with our numbers and chip? 

And the most important question of all ... are there toilets along the course?  I'm heartened to hear that there's plenty of toilets at the start - as I've a very nervous bladder when it comes to races .

12/02/2013 at 07:04

Hi Shielsy, welcome to the thread sounded like your first marathon experience was good, that's great. I ran Manchester last year and after planning only ever to run one mara I have now booked 2 for this year! How is your training going? I am not sure about the answers to your questions but I have a feeling we get sent the info, number etc. Would love to know abou the toilets too Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

12/02/2013 at 07:41
Hi Shielsy (and Lily) - yeah, race info, chip etc was sent a few weeks before. We also received a rather fetching red hanky due to sponsorship that we were encouraged to wear. You can see it in my profile picture - not sure if that will be the same this year!
Toliet wise - as I wrote on the first page, the Stadium facilities are superb (and you passed it at 13 miles last year....). As for course access....I'm not sure. I *think* I can remember some but that may be a guess / other races mingled in.

I would encourage everyone making sure you have your own drink to start off with. It was baking got last year and it felt like the first drink station was a loooooong way.

Gotta stop taking about this - getting excited already an it's 7am/weeks away!!! Lol
61 to 80 of 465 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.