the Marathon of the North

advice needed

141 to 160 of 465 messages
13/03/2013 at 07:31
Good to hear everyone is training well. Mine is back on track - 10k speed work last night with my best time of the year to date. My mood has lifted as well!!
Tim - totally agree! I always say hello and some miserable bastards look to the floor or away! Chill out runners and say hello - it's not gonna cost you a PB! Lol
13/03/2013 at 22:19

Headed for a 12 mile run tonight. Was looking to run at an easyish pace to the 6 mile point as it up hill. At mile 4 a blizzard kicked in until mile 6. When the skies cleared again. Turned at the 6 point and looked to pick the pace up. Black ice made it an interesting run back! Managed to keep the average pace for the run under 7 mins, but was a frustrating run. REALLY REALLY want spring to show up soon!

15/03/2013 at 09:56

hilarious, magically I now have a profile pic! Don't know how that happened. The last few metres of the Manchester Marathon nearly a year ago. Great running Tim and Adrian. I dropped back to 13 miles on Tues, not as good as previously, seemed to be running on tired legs. Managed a good faster 3 miles yesterday and am going out for 8.75 later. I have woken with a stiff shoulder but hopefully that will loosen. Very excited my new running shoes have arrived, need to wear them in before the big day! Have a good w/e's running everyone

15/03/2013 at 15:12

quick question.....would appreciate your thoughts...I don't have a garmin and wondered if it would be a good idea to get one. What are the pros and if any cons? I just plan my runs on g maps pedometer then use my trusty stop watch. I thought it might be good to know how it takes me for each mile etc. Thank you!

16/03/2013 at 09:06
I do not use garmins for racing. With mile markers on race course and a watch you know your splits . I use Strava app on my phone when training though to run at set paces for training
16/03/2013 at 12:03
I'd buy one without hesitation. I upgraded recently (always various offers on amazon) to a 410. Love it - good for various checks during running and I love pouring over the stats following a run....the Missus has got a more basic one but its clearly helped her running.
Horses for courses, I wouldn't be without
16/03/2013 at 18:38

thanks Adrian and Tim, that's really helpful. Adrian what is the more basic one your wife has? Just bought my daughter's prom dress today and need to watch the pennies!

16/03/2013 at 20:14
Garmin 110 - does the essentials (would suggest the heart rate monitor version) and is perfect for her....
16/03/2013 at 21:02
Most smart phones have free apps that do this as well
16/03/2013 at 22:28

hi, just checking in after lurking for a bit!  Am also doing the Marathon of the North. Looking forward to it, but keep having to revise my expectations because training has not gone to plan...

Lily I think my running really went up a gear once I had a garmin and could see how I was doing much more easily.

17/03/2013 at 08:35

thanks Adrian, will look into the 110. Alas Tim I don't have a smart phone....yet! Welcome to the thread Daisy how is your training? Have your run a marathon before? Sorry to hear training not gone to plan. Thanks for the garmin tip, any thing to improve my running is good!

17/03/2013 at 19:40

Welcome to the thread Daisy.

10 grim miles tonight, in the sleet and rain 2 hours after a large Sunday dinner. I felt like Mr BLobby with all my gear on to keep warm and dry. 

Lily can I also recommend Strava works with most gps watches and smart phones great for tracking times and finding local rivals to test yourself against on something called segments.

17/03/2013 at 23:05

hi thanks for the welcomes 

Well done on those 10 grim miles Tim, they count more than 15 on a lovely summer night for sure!

I am the other person in the universe who doesn't have a smartphone lily  so all these apps are beyond me too...

I've just had a litany of illness all winter (poor me), so it's been ticking over but feeling like I've been going backwards pace wise, bit depressing!  But I'm still out there and no reason not to do the race, so got to focus on the positives.  This will be mara no.3 for me lily, but my first road marathon so am a bit apprehensive about having only my pace and mile markers to focus on.  I don't really train on roads - wonder if I should throw in some more road miles?  But don't want to risk injury either.  I love mud 

18/03/2013 at 13:32

just done 6 miles in freezing rain, tough but had a friend for company which certainly helped Good for you Daisy keeping going and hope you are feeling better. I only ever run on roads, impressive running off road. I guess it might be good to do a bit of road running before the M of the N. I wonder what other people think. As well as mile markers we will hopefully have lots of support. I remember at Manchester the encouraging comments and clapping and smiles from the spectators and the water stations etc, the children giving high fives, people waving from their houses and also taking in new scenery....all more of a blur near the end but I will never forget still being cheered on after 5 hours! We did have stretches on country lanes with no spectators but I think that will be less so in Sunderland.

18/03/2013 at 16:48

I'm lucky to have lots of "easy" trail running round where I live lily - don't imagine I'm fell running my long runs!  Did you do Manchester last year?

18/03/2013 at 16:57

oh I see further up you did - kudos to you, it sounded like terrible conditions!  I ran just over 7 miles today in the snow.  On a cutback week this week and I'm glad looking at the weather forecast...

18/03/2013 at 17:50

Daisy I am also a trail runner and am also very luckly to have access to loads of great trails. I live  in Washhington which is on the outskirts of Sunderland, Durham and Gateshead. The marathon of  North was my first and only road marathon that I have run so far.

For anyone interested here is my write up of my run there last year

http://blog.trailrunner.org.uk/2012/05/marathon-of-north-2012.html

18/03/2013 at 17:54

Cool thanks Tim will have a read of that.  I'm in Durham by the way!  Trail-tastic North East 

19/03/2013 at 07:03
Hi Daisy, good to have you around!

Training continuing here. When will Spring be Sprung? Cold,wet long runs are dragging now. Good speed work last night (robbed myself of a 5k and single mile PB by misreading the garmin!) and have planned my longest run ever (and peak of training) this weekend.
Aim is to complete 26 and then meet my wife to complete a further 4 and break the 30 barrier. Lol. Sounds a bit mad but I've got it in my head and can't shake it!! Heh.

I will feedback!

Oh and good running to all!
Edited: 19/03/2013 at 07:04
19/03/2013 at 11:31

Lily - I'm another Garmin fan.  I found that once I purchased a Garmin my training (and thus my running) really improved as it tells you immediately your pace and distance, without having to do calculations in your head, without having to mess around with pace bands and without having to run with your smartphone.  Before getting one, I think I sometimes may have over, or underestimated how fast I was running.  Plus, like others, I love pouring over my statistics after a run ... I love the geeky stuff like that.

I've got the 305 and did worry that it was going to be too big for my girly wrist, but I've never had a problem with it.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  Mine was, until my holiday in Benidorm ... the weekend before jetting off I'd managed a tough cross country at Alnwick followed by 18 miles the next day.  Then in Spain I managed 2 x 6.5 mile runs along the coastline, with the sun glittering on the green sea as I ran in just shorts and t-shirt ... just wonderful to lift the spirits after our horrible summer/autumn/winter.

Unfortunately on the plane coming home I seem to have picked up a bit of a chest cold, so have been a bit wiped out by that.  Unadvisedly I went out on Sunday in the cold and rain and did 17.5 miles.  I took it really slowly, and felt ok(ish) at the time, but since then I've had a pain behind my left knee which I'm a bit worried about (I've never had pain there before).  I'm keeping everything crossed that it's just a niggle that will go away after a few day's rest.

That's one of the worst things about marathon training ... not the hours of running in the winter, but the constant worry in the final weeks that you're going to pick up an illness, or injury, or both

141 to 160 of 465 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.