The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

The highs, lows (and everything in between) of my 16 week Paris Marathon training plan.

681 to 700 of 1,530 messages
09/02/2013 at 22:15
a huge congratulations Ady, you must be over the moon, especially after your recent illness as that can sometimes leave you feeling a little sluggish.

Im sure you dont want to hear this...but Mrs Shady Ady was right with the extra days rest (...us women are always right)!!

Thankyou for putting up your possible week for me for next week, its reassuring to see that your doing a good taper (although not as much as mine) before your half. Sams looks almost identical.

I had initially planned 2 20 milers later on in my training like you but its been nice getting a few (hopefully extra ones) in so early on. Unlike you, before commencing this training I had only done two runs over 18 miles in my life (one 22 and one 26.2).

I can understand why your friend may want to do at least 26.2 miles in a training run as initially thats what I thought you would need to do, but after talking to several runners and reading advice on marathon training its completely understandable why we dont do it. I only did a 22 last year (instead of a 20) as I thought 4 extra miles was easy but 6 could be impossible...its all in the mind!

A few times when ive done a half, ive felt great for the first 10 miles, then struggled for the last 3. I think thats why I like the 10 mile races. Although during my last two halfs I have actually felt ok during the last few miles for a change....im obviously not pushing myself enough!

After VLM im hoping to work on my 5k and 10k times for a couple of months before I start on my training for my autumn marathon. Ive still only done the one park run so I would like to do more.

I think you stand a good chance of getting a sub 20 before me at this rate.

Hope your foam roller arrived and you managed to use it ok
10/02/2013 at 09:23

Yeah brilliant PB well done, lets hope it's the start of a good run for you.

10/02/2013 at 19:58

Evening all! It's been a hectic day of train journeys, B&B breakfast eating and doing today's run before darkness set in. Hopefully with all this out of the way with, I ca now catch up with everything on this forum!

Wiggly Worm.........I'm exactly the same as you normally with eating good old fashioned comfort food when I'm ill. I think I would have been doing exactly the same this time around as well if it wasn't for having to share everything I eat with Ruth and everybody on this website. It definitely makes you think a lot more about what passes through your lips!

I used to enjoy quite a few of these medicinal glasses of wine in the evenings, but  apart from the odd special occasion I've tried to cut these out. I'm sure they will start making a re-appearance once this Paris marathon training is over. Maybe not the same frequency though.

I'm very impressed you got a ballot place your first time. I think it took me 4 attempts before I got my first ballot place. I really hope you enjoy the experience. I ran London for my first ever marathon and the one thing I regret was putting too much emphasis on a time and therefore missed out on enjoying the whole experience and the crowds. I hope you manage to get under 4:30. You're in safe hands with Mel. I think she'll easily smash through that barrier (No pressure Mel!)

Good luck in your half as well. Where are you running? We are all doing Dorney Lake next Saturday and it should be the best indication yet if we are on for our goals.

After reading what Sam and Sarah have both written regarding the strength training, I think I'll stick to Pilates with a few extra squats and dips thrown in for good measure. I think this will probably be best to strengthen my core without causing too many aches to my legs which then affects my running.

Malcs.......Thanks very much. It's good to be back so quickly. Did you get out running this weekend? I still have a lot of that grim mucus stuff hanging around, but it's not stopping me from running, which is definitely a positive. I'm very happy with my PB......but as I am a very critical person (only about myself!), I can immediate see many ways of how I could improve this time. I definitely think I can cut off another 30 seconds at least before Paris. Maybe a sub 20 min is too optimistic currently, but it's an aim I hope to achieve this year as well.

Paulo..........Thanks! I actually think the extra rest this week helped. It would certainly have made things worse if I had rushed back a day early. Although this meant I ran 6 miles steady the day before my 5km, I don't really think this had too much effect on my final time.

After Paris is over, I might give the food poisoning strategy a try. It might also come in handy if I'm falling behind in my weight loss goals as well!

How did your first 20 miler go? I don't have mine for another 2 weeks, so I'll be biting at the leash to get this under my belt. I'm happy it felt good for you. I don't think there's anything better motivationally than to do 20 miles and feel good about it. A sub 20 min 5km is one thing, but I'd take a comfortable 20 miler over this any day of the week while training for the marathon.

Good luck for your half. It'll be interesting to compare how we both do. I'll be going out at 7:20m/m and then see how I'm feeling in the last few miles as to whether I'll try picking this pace up. This should bring me in around 1:36, which would be a 4 minute PB.

Brolish........Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully this will be the first of many that come in the next few weeks. It's a nice feeling to get my first under my belt though.

10/02/2013 at 20:04
sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

I think listen to your body is a great way to tell if something is too much. The pilates is the perfect adjunct to marathon training as it gives you a good stretch and relax while activating all the essential core exercises. You can see how the gym session goes but I'd be tempted to tone these right down now till after the race.

good luck today.

Sarah..........I will certainly be listening to your advice. Thanks very much. I won't be doing the same leg strengthening workout DVD again as I think the intensity is to detrimental to my running. I'll do a few squats and lunges in the evening, but more of an accompaniment to my Pilates. This should be more sustainable and mean that my running sessions won't be affected at all. 

A.W........ Thanks Alex. I certainly enjoyed my shandy to celebrate the PB! It's been a long time since I last got a PB, so I'd forgotten what the feeling was like. It definitely makes me feel my training is going well though, especially as I'm now running faster than I was before Boston when I got my marathon PB.

I was just checking out your forum page and I saw that you had to pull out of today's Wokingham Half due to illness. From the sounds of it you've had something similar to what I had, and I think you definitely made the correct decision not to run with it. I had to take 2 days off. I'm still not 100%, but fit enough to run again. 

What are your plans now? Will you try and fit another half into your schedule, or just move on and focus on your current marathon plan without changing it? I hope you're back to full fitness soon.

RRR..........Thanks very much. I thought it was impressive until I saw how much you knocked off your PB. Now that's what I call impressive! An excellent performance indeed. You must be thrilled. You should definitely be on for a crack at sub 20 when we do the 5km time trial next month, if not before! At this rate you'll be getting a Boston good for age men's qualifying time in Paris! You'll be flying!

10/02/2013 at 20:14
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

So pleased, Ady - great result. And, the first race result that my trusty predictor chart puts you sub 3.30 for  We've reached the end (almost) of week 8, so I will be having a look at the results of the last 4 weeks and then posting next 4 weeks shortly.

My tuppence worth about strength training is that it's best to stick to body weight exercises during marathon training. ie. single leg dips, squats, lunges, step ups etc, rather than using machines or weights. The key goals are stability and alignment, then strength endurance. Once you've got them, you can add challenge by adding weight, instability or explosiveness.

Talking of food poisoning (someone was earlier in this thread!) I've just suffered the most horrendous post-oyster/scallop meal food poisoning. Was groaning on the bathroom floor on Thursday night till the early hours having brought up most of my internal organs - hideous! I was in bed till 2.30 yesterday and then, foolishly or in complete dedication (depending on what way you look at it) I did my long run on a diarolyte drink and two energy gels. Unsurprisngly it doesn't rate among my best performances! But feel completely better today, so there you go...

Sam........Wow, I'm mightily impressed that I've shown on the sub 3:30 radar for the first time ever! That must be a good sign as you've used three smiley faces!  Hopefully next weekend will put me even firmer on to the sub 3:30 radar and keep me there. Just out of interest, what does your predictor show as a half marathon time needed for then having the potential to do a sub 3:30? I'm more than happy to stick to the current goal of 7:20m/m if you are.

In the schedule that you posted, I take it that my pacing is staying the same as weeks 4-8?

The strength training I did last week was just a combination of squats, lunges, dips, etc, (luckily no extra weights!) but I think it was the frequency and intensity of these that left me walking like an OAP for a few days! But if this is likely to stop me performing adequately in my running sessions, then I'll stop these now, or just do a few in the evening along with my pilates.

Sorry to hear about your food poisoning. Glad you're back to normal now though. I can't believe you went on a long run after that, although that is certainly what I would want to do as well. I hate the feeling when I have to miss a run! I'll forward you this last week's training overview later this evening. 

10/02/2013 at 20:23

Hey Ady,

Already said it on Twitter but well done again on the great PB - awesome job mate, and hope you're still smiling about it

Just when I was catching up to you as well haha sure put me in my place!

Will be great meeting up again next weekend at Dorney Lake - should be a great day. You're looking in good shape to get your second PB in two weekends - how great an achievement would that be??

Best of luck with the build up to the race next week...

10/02/2013 at 20:32

Sarah........Thanks very much. I'm very happy indeed with my time. It's a solid improvement and is a good minute faster than my previous 5kms I've ran recently.........and close to 2 minutes faster than my 22:59 I ran at the Guildford Parkrun 4 weeks ago. It just goes to show that listening to my OH regarding rest was the best decision to make!

This week should be a good practice with it being like a small taper......and more importantly I get to practise proper carb-loading on Friday.

It's hard to believe that you have only ran 2 20 milers before this training plan. You seem to be so comfortable with your weekly long runs, I just presumed you'd ran many in the past. You hit the nail on the head though - I think 60% of running a marathon is mental strength. Once you have that sorted, the rest should be much easier. I remember my first marathon - I'd never gone past 18 on a training run and throughout the race I had the extra 8.2 miles on my mind.........plus I was waiting for the wall to hit.....something I hadn't experienced before.

I think I might struggle a bit for the last 3 miles at Dorney next Saturday, as I want to really push myself. I'll be running 7:20m/m to start with and I am a little daunted by this as I have never ran so long at such a speed. My half marathon PB of 1:40 I went off at 7:00m/m, which I managed for the first 5 miles and then faded badly from there onwards. I don't want to repeat this again!

Good luck on working on your 5km and 10km times. I was thinking of doing the same over the Summer. It'd be nice to break 20 mins before the year is out, but that's always been a pipe dream behind Paris and completing Comrades. I definitely think you will get there before me!

My foam roller arrived yesterday and I used it for the first time after my run today. It's amazing! It's just the right amount of pain that it actually feels pleasurable! It actually comes with a series of different stretches you can do with it for different muscles and areas of the body. I'm glad I followed Sarah's advice and purchased one. It must be good as even Mrs. Shady Ady had a play with it today as well.

Sarah Asics........Thanks very much. I also hope the 5km PB will be a catalyst for further improvements. We will see next weekend at Dorney Lake Half Marathon. That will be the most satisfying of PBs as I've always wanted to go sub 1:40.

10/02/2013 at 21:32
Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Malcs.......Thanks very much. It's good to be back so quickly. Did you get out running this weekend? I still have a lot of that grim mucus stuff hanging around, but it's not stopping me from running, which is definitely a positive. I'm very happy with my PB......but as I am a very critical person (only about myself!), I can immediate see many ways of how I could improve this time. I definitely think I can cut off another 30 seconds at least before Paris. Maybe a sub 20 min is too optimistic currently, but it's an aim I hope to achieve this year as well.

First off - excellent news on the PB!  4 years is a loooong time so I hope you celebrated in a suitable fashion. I think it's good to be self critical - keeps you always pushing forward. As long as you don't beat yourself up or turn into some mentalist - say the kind that would describe foam rolling as pleasurable, you should be fine.

I managed 16 miles on Saturday. First time I've felt relatively comfortable since returning and I have to say it's such a great feeling. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy but I managed 8:40 for the first 10 and 8:10 for the last 6 with my last mile at 8 so I was really happy with that. Still some way to go yet but at least things are happening. 

Sam - sounds like you've had an awful time with that oyster business. I've just finished wretching after reading Ady's dog foul on carpet incident so I have a taste of what you've been through (quite literally). 

Any talk of footwear aquired canine waste always reminds me of that scene from the Royale Family where Mrs Royale is scraping it off a shoe with a knife in the sink. 

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 21:34
10/02/2013 at 21:40

Day 55 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (09/02/13)

Target: 5km Parkrun plus 1 mile w/up and c/down.

Actual: 5km Parkrun in 21:15 (21:16 official) @ 6:52m/m (finishing 9th out of 67 and 3rd in my age-group), plus 1.2 mile w/up @ 7:56m/m and 1.02 mile c/down @ 8:44m/m.

5km Mile Splits: 1st: 6:41m/m. 2nd: 6:50m/m. 3rd: 7:04m/m.

Total: 5.32 miles

Today was the day. The day when I could finally put the disappointment of my last Parkrun behind me and hopefully bag my first PB in 4 years. I like to put that extra bit of pressure on myself!

I woke early. Too early for a Saturday. I was immediately sick, gagging on the mucus that filled my throat and sinuses. It wasn't the ideal preparation. Neither was the hour train journey to get to the Parkrun start. This time around I'd chosen to run the Crane Park Parkrun over my local Guildford Parkrun, choosing the nearest flat and fast course ran on tarmac. This also meant having to travel through London, dressed in my running lycra. I must be comfortable wearing this now to be seen wearing this amongst the general public!

I made it to the start with a good twenty minutes to spare. With 10 minutes to go before the 9:00am start, I will still the only person there. I was starting to panic a little and started to run to the opposite side of the park where the finish is located to see if I'd somehow missed out on hearing the start had been changed to a new location. I didn't make it far before seeing a sea of runners making their way towards me. It seems I'm far too keen to everybody else's normal arrival time of 8:55am!

Today was the perfect chance of getting a new 5km PB. The course was flat and on tarmac. Just as important, there was also no wind at all. I positioned myself near the front and sprinted off as the countdown reached zero. I was a little taken aback at how easily people started to pass me. This included two boys who looked like they were no older than 10! I looked at my watch and I was running at close to 6:00m/m pace. I let the runners pass and quickly settled into a steady pace, trying my hardest to slow my pace down to a more manageable 6:50m/m as prescribed by Sam.

I failed to do this for the 1st mile, completing it in 6:41m/m, but the 2nd I was much better, hitting 6:50m/m dead on. The third mile was more of a  struggle. I'm still suffering from grim levels of mucus and a tickly cough. The phlegm is the type that when you spit it out, it looks more like ectoplasm. It's also the kind that has a habit of acting like a piece of elastic, somehow coming straight back and hitting you in the face after trying to expel it from your body. This is why the third mile was more of an effort, as the amounts still in my throat were making me gag.

I finished with a bit of a spurt and was elated to see my final time of 21:15. I hadn't even looked at my total time while I was running, instead focusing on the mile average pace. I was extremely happy with finally getting a new PB, but at the same time I could immediately see areas of improvement. Looking at my pacing on my Garmin, I didn't really keep a constant pace at all, with a huge number of peaks and troughs. If this was to improve then I'd conserve far more energy.

It would be nice to see what improvement there'd be if I was running in the same conditions when fully fit as well. I'd like to think I'd immediately knock 15 seconds off my time from that lost on my 3rd mile. Maybe come the next training day I'll go under 21 mins. Going under 20 mins I think is still currently a dream too far.

Here's today's workout (5km run only):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/271948208

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 21:42
10/02/2013 at 21:53

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 8th February 2013

8:00am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre cereal w/ semi-skimmed milk. Cup of tea

10:00am - Pint of squash.

11:00am - Run - 6 miles steady (see earlier for full description)

12:30pm - Lunch - Chicken  breast with beetroot, lentils, Bulgar wheat and peas (not as huge as it sounds!). Pint of squash

2:30pm – Cup of tea. Pint of squash , several cheese crackers (minus the cheese!) 

4:30pm - Cup of tea. Pint of squash

7:30pm - Dinner - Smoked haddock with spinach and ricotta ravioli in tomato sauce and sprinkling of parmesan. Pint of squash

9:00pm - Yoghurt and glass of water.

10/02/2013 at 22:08

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 9th February 2013

With travelling to celebrate a friend's birthday, today was always going to be a struggle to eat correctly. I tried. It could have been a lot worse!

6:50am - Breakfast - Porridge with honey. Bottle of water

9:00am - 5km Parkrun (see earlier for full details)

10:00am - Yazoo chocolate milkshake bottle, medium Chai latte.

12:30pm - Lunch - Pan au Chocolat, cheese crackers (quick lunch as having to dash off to catch a train to Dorset), pint of squash.

2:30pm – Egg and Cress sandwich (wholemeal bread), bottle of water 

4:30pm - Cup of tea, piece of ginger nut cake and a coconut macaroon (compliments of the B&B where I was staying!)

7:30pm - Dinner and Birthday Drinks - A night of eating and drinking things that will probably leave Ruth with heart palpitations! I actually impressed myself by keeping good control over what I ate and drank and it wasn't the nightmare calorie count I expected it would be:

Fruit punch (1 glass, containing hard liquor and fruit juice in equal measures!), 2 glasses of Sprite zero, topped up with fruit punch, 5 glasses of water, cup of tea and about 5 shots of Vodka jelly (taking me back to student life again!), small glass of homemade Baileys.

A selection of buffet food - prawns, breaded shrimps, sausage roll, mini pizza, breaded chicken pieces, cheese straws, cheesy bear bread (amazing!), cookie and a few tortilla crisps. Less than  a plate of food actually!

10/02/2013 at 22:39

Day 56 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (10/02/13)

Target: 9 miles comfortable @ 8:10m/m - 9:10m/m

Actual: 12 miles on treadmill in 1:45:15 @ 8:47m/m

I'd spent most of the morning on a train back home after a night of slight over-indulgence and a B&B breakfast that would have kept a small army content. By the time I arrived back I would have struggled to complete my run before darkness set in and definitely before the torrential rain would have been kind enough to stop. Strangely my cough kicked up a notch as well so I decided that today I'd do my run on the treadmill instead of braving the outdoor rain and cold.

It wasn't as mundane and boring as I was expecting. I spent the first hour watching the last episode of David Attenborough's Africa documentary series, and the last few miles listening to The Killers (possibly my favourite music to run too). I had the whole gym to myself as well, so there was no conflict with other people wanting to use the treadmill as well.

I find treadmill running much easier than running outside. To make it a little more difficult, I ran the first 10 miles with a gradient of 0.5%. I know I should have only ran 9 miles today, but because I missed my 3 mile jog earlier in the week due to being ill, I tagged these on to this run.  I ran these 3 miles at easy pace rather than comfortable pace (1 mile at the beginning and two miles at the end).

It took a good 20 minutes to get use to running on the treadmill. After the 1 mile w/up I increased to 9:00m/m and then increased this pace by each mile before running the last 2 miles at easy pace again. A nice, comfortable end to the week. Now the focus turns to next week's Dorney Lake Half Marathon!

10/02/2013 at 22:50

Week 8 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 10/02/13):

Day 50 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (04/02/13)

Target: Rest or Cross-Training

Actual: P90X Legs and Back Workout Video (1hr)

Day 51 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (05/02/13)

Target: 5 MILES STEADY (@ 7:35 - 8:00m/m) TO INCLUDE 4 X 4 MINS CONTINUOUS HILL EFFORTS WITH 1 MIN JOG (OR 5 X 3-MINUTE STEADY HILL CLIMBS)

Actual: 5.16 miles in 40:05 @ 7:46m/m including 4x4 mins continuous hill efforts with 1 min jog.

Splits: 1.25 miles @ 7:41m/m, 1st Hill rep @ 7:03m/m (0.57mi), 2nd Hill rep @7:04m/m (0.57mi), 3rd Hill rep @ 7:09 (0.56mi), 4th Hill rep @ 7:14 (0.56mi), 1.32 miles @ 7:45m/m.

Day 52 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (06/02/13)

Target: 3 mile Jog @ 9:20-10:00m/m with 3x Acceleration Strides

Actual: Rest with 30 minutes stretching session

Day 53 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (07/02/13)

Target: 6 miles steady @ 7:35 - 8:00m/m

Actual: Rest (begrudgingly)

Day 54 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (08/02/13)

Target: Rest - As I had a rest day due to illness yesterday, I moved Thursday's run to Friday. This was 6 mile steady @ 7:35 - 8:00m/m

Actual: 6 miles steady @ 7:29m/m in 45:01

Mile Splits: 1st: 7:31m/m. 2nd: 7:28m/m. 3rd: 7:31m/m. 4th: 7:31m/m. 5th: 7:33m/m. 6th: 7:22m/m

Day 55 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (09/02/13)

Target: 5km Parkrun plus 1 mile w/up and c/down.

Actual: 5km Parkrun in 21:15 (21:16 official) @ 6:52m/m (finishing 9th out of 67 and 3rd in my age-group), plus 1.2 mile w/up @ 7:56m/m and 1.02 mile c/down @ 8:44m/m.

5km Mile Splits: 1st: 6:41m/m. 2nd: 6:50m/m. 3rd: 7:04m/m.

Total: 5.32 miles

Day 56 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (10/02/13)

Target: 9 miles comfortable @ 8:10m/m - 9:10m/m

Actual: 12 miles on treadmill in 1:45:15 @ 8:47m/m

MILEAGE: Target: 28 miles ACTUAL:  28.48 miles

It turned out a to be a good thing to get ill this week, the one week where my mileage allowed for a recovery. I think the extra rest also played in to my hands with my 5km PB Parkrun. It makes me even more committed to obtaining another PB next weekend in my half marathon now! 

11/02/2013 at 04:58

Hi Ady,

Well done on PB in the Park run, and a good weeks running after being ill. Interested to see what your time is for the half next weekend as you have done well with the programme so far. What is your PB?

I've had a rough few weeks- really busy at work and job interview last week, so it was good to get out for 11.5 on saturday. I'd left my son at a party, but unfortunately meant I missed Scotland's heroic performance in the rugby! Pleased with time, especailly as last 5miles are all up hill...

going to be keeping closer eye now less stress at work/home

11/02/2013 at 07:46
My 20 miler went well apart from having to stop half way for a comfort break! A bit of Imodium on race day should solve this issue. Luckily I was able to turn my run in to two 10 mile laps and get back home. Could have been much worse if I was doing an out and back run! The run felt so good that I'm almost tempted to push for 1:30 next weekend but I think that may be just out of reach at the moment.

If you do fancy the food poisoning technique then get your self down to the Partridge in Partridge Green just off the South Downs way and order a portion of chilli!
11/02/2013 at 10:19

PB-well done!!!

Shady_Ady wrote (see)
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Shady - Ady

Glad you are feeling better.

Just something to consider for your "dress rehearsal" next weekend is timing of breakfast. I spoke with runner’s world to get an idea of when you are likely to be leaving hotel on 7th April (morning of Paris marathon just in case you forgot!). This is probably going to be around 7am for your 8.45am start so perhaps you will need to be at breakfast for 6am so that this can be relaxed meal. So for your  half next weekend which starts at 10am perhaps you want to consider also sitting down to having breakfast at 2hr 45 mins but this allows a much more civilised time of  7.15pm! All snacks after this should be same as for Paris.

Ruth

Hey Ruth.........

I will try my best to have a full dress rehearsal next Saturday during the half marathon, ready for Paris. I'll definitely make sure all snacks are exactly the same as Paris. Do you have any snacks you can recommend for race day? I'm happy with popping jelly babies in the build up?

The only problem I can see, is that I might struggle to eat breakfast at 7:15am. I will need to catch a train to Windsor and looking at the train times, I will have to catch a 7:30 train to make it on time, maybe even 7am. Therefore I'll have to rely on being able to buy porridge at the train station, or getting some porridge from McDonalds on the way there? Maybe this with a banana is acceptable, even if a few minutes off from 7:15am? 

I hope this is okay!

Eating earlier is absolutely fine but any earlier than 3 hours before race start then I suggest you definitely have a snack. I don't think sweets are the best choice (too easy to eat to0 many and too many may cause problems before a race) I would go for something like a jam sandwich (no spread) either 1 slice of bread for a smaller snack, or 2 for a larger snack, or you can graze on sandwich over a couple of hours. Finish snack at least 60-90minutes before race, do not overeat at this snack. If don't wish bread then a large banana & perhaps small drinking yogurt (up to 300ml) or banana & cereal bar. Some like to have gel just before race starts and this is a personal choice but if had a snack 90minutes before you are likely to not need this but it is a personal  choice and as long as it is practiced and appears to work for you then I am .... 

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 9th February 2013

With travelling to celebrate a friend's birthday, today was always going to be a struggle to eat correctly. I tried. It could have been a lot worse!

6:50am - Breakfast - Porridge with honey. Bottle of water

9:00am - 5km Parkrun (see earlier for full details)

10:00am - Yazoo chocolate milkshake bottle, medium Chai latte.

11/02/2013 at 10:20

Sam - poor you, nothing worst than being that sick! but a long run straight after...very impressed!

11/02/2013 at 11:59

Hi Ady

The half marathon time on my chart associated with a sub 3.30 half marathon is about 1.39.40.  So basically, anything that beats your current PB will stand you in good stead.

Your 5km time predicts a half marathon of 1.38.21 but note that your previous 5km PB predicted a 1.41 half marathon, whereas your actual time was 1.40. So your strength may be your endurance, if you see what I mean. The pace difference between 1.36 and 1.38.21 is 10 secs - ie. 7.30 - 7.20. So if all your miles came in within that range you'd be somewhere between the two and boasting a PB! Don't put too much pressure on yourself to run every mile at 7.20 and end up blowing up.  

11/02/2013 at 12:35

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 10th February 2013

There is 1 rule I always follow when staying the night in a B&B - fill your boot sat breakfast time! It was be scandalous to pay so much money and just have cereals in the morning. Plus, I was running in the afternoon so today's breakfast was just a carb-loading exercise!

9:30am - B&B Breakfast - Small bowl of fresh wild berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and redcurrants) with homemade granola, passon fruit yoghurt. Small bowl of melon, prunes and half a passion fruit. A hazlenut brioche. Small English Breakfast - Sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom, tomatoes. 1 slice of toast. 3 cups of tea, 1 glass of red grape juice and 1 glass of fresh pineapple juice. I probably could have taken a nap after eating all of this, but had another train to catch!

11:30am - Bottle of water

2:30pm – Pint of squash

4:00pm - 12 mile run on treadmill (see earlier for full description). Bottle of water

7:00pm - Dinner - Carrot and Coriander soup with Bulgar wheat and half a tin of Indian Mixed Beans thrown in. Pint of squash.

8:00pm - Cup of Ginger tea and a Muller Lemon Greek Style Yogurt.

10:00pm - Glass of water.

Obviously the amount I ate for breakfast meant I was never going to feel that hungry by lunch time, so I just followed my hunger, which meant I didn't really eat again until after my run.

11/02/2013 at 12:41

Week 8 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Total Loss: 7.8lbs

I wasn’t expecting to lose as much this week with the hearty breakfast (well, 3 breakfasts!) I ate yesterday. It definitely helped that I had 6 days of excellent eating with only the odd treat here and there.

As my mileage goes up again this week and now that I don’t have any birthday buffets and drinks to enjoy, I’m fairly confident that it will be a good week coming up…….even with the carb-loading day on Friday!

I just have another 7lbs to lose in my last 8 weeks of training now to hit my original target!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.