The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

The highs, lows (and everything in between) of my 16 week Paris Marathon training plan.

1,281 to 1,300 of 1,530 messages
29/03/2013 at 10:06
Malcs wrote (see)

Thanks Ady. No morning pain here so looks like PF is unlikely, which is nice.

If I was 4 weeks out then I would go for it for sure but my race is 3 weeks on Sunday. I'm still tempted to go for it but I will so be kicking myself I then end up having to rest up for the next week or so. I really want to taper properly for once.

Of course it's only three weeks out  that's because I was thinking Paris was still 2 weeks away! Can you find a compromise? Do a 15 mile run  (you already have a good number of 20's in the bank) and then a extra mile or two cooldown and maybe w/up? But that would be me, trying to sneak extra miles in, when maybe I shouldn't be doing so.

29/03/2013 at 10:08

Sorry Angela.....I realised my last reply to your message cut off..........

As for my first marathon.......that was London in 2004. I went round halfway in 2:02 before losing all energy and finishing in 4:47. Looking back, I was so under-prepared - never ran enough in training, never ran far enough in training, never had entered a race before my first marathon, paid no attention to hydration or nutrition, thought gel was what you used on your hair, ran in a cotton t-shirt (my nipples still hate me for this), and thought the aid stations were there so you could enjoy as much Lucozade as your gut and bladder would allow! A spectacular failure - but at the same time thoroughly enjoyed!

I then hovered around the 4:10-4:30 mark for several marathons, before getting closer to 4hrs. I ran 4:04 in Chicago and realised that if I ever wanted to break 4hrs, I needed to focus on training half decently, rather than fitting it around everything else I did and putting it last in my priorities. 

It took another couple of years before I actually did this and ran 3:48 in Berlin, which was the first time I went under 4 hours. When I've trained 'properly' (or what I thought was properly before Paris training) I've hovered around this mark and managed to do a 3:44 PB in Boston 4 years ago.

I've also ran some really slow marathons, which embarassing at the time, have given me memories to focus on when the going gets tough, as I know it could be a lot worse. I ran the Quito Marathon with no training (to stupidly win a bet) in 5:21 and Great Wall of China in 6:23(ish), where the second section running on the wall towards the end almost finished me off. I find myself focusing more on these tougher running experiences in the latter stages of a race than focusing on the better times to help push me on.

I think Mrs. Shady Ady will be very annoyed if an Easter present is anything but chocolate! I will enquire though! 

29/03/2013 at 13:06
No problemo shady, like like your marathon resume! Both of mine were in 2011- I did 4:38 in London and 4:33 in Berlin, and pretty sure I made the same mistakes in both- the biggest one being pacing. In a 5k or 10k I can set off too fast and hold on to get the right time for my fitness, even if that's a hard way of doing it. Certainly hadn't learnt the marathon would find u out if u do that. In Berlin, I actually set off at 4 hour pace,despite not having run at all the month before as I hada knee problem flare up in my Last 20 mile run which made me stop at 11 miles. Crossed half way in 2:06' got cramp in both legs around 16 miles and hobble/jogged for a few miles managed to run for a few more, then it was walk run.
My dad was diagnosed with cancer in the autumn before my first marathon and it took his life this time last year, so in training for both I was spending almost every weekend with my parents to help them out. Clearly this was emotionally very draining, but also meant that the long runs didn't always get done, and when they did, I didn't follow a recovery program like i am now. This is the first time I've really trained well for a marathon, only skipping a run through illness or injury/injury prevention. I've done 280 miles so far this year and the marathon is 12 may, so by then I think I'll be between 450 and 500 miles.
M half marathon time was 1:56 and when u plug it into the calculators u get a 4:03- I'm going to try to pace for a 4:15 though. I've got Bournemouth on the cards for October, and depending how Halstead goes, I'm hoping that will be my first sub 4 hour. The plan is then to spend the first half of next year on speed, so I can be at a higher level training for an autumn marathon - maybe Berlin again?
29/03/2013 at 14:53
Shady_Ady wrote (see)
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Here are some useful snacks with estimated  carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
  • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
  • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
  • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
  • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
  • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
  • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
  • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
  • 1 hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
  • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 50g carbs
  • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
  • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
  • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs) 

Hi Ruth.....thanks very much for the recommendations. I plan on writing my shopping list over Easter and then buying the majority of the food the week before, so there's less chance of racing around at the last minute and forgetting something. 

The snacks that you've mentioned above differ slightly from what I was eating in my practice carb load. What you mention above, are these possible substitutions to what I tried before?  I like that sorbet made the list though! I take it jelly babies are still acceptable as well?

At least one pack of maltloaf will be making the journey across the English channel that's for sure!

Afternoon!

I am getting so excited for you all!

I only added the above so should you need to rely on different snacks you know what would be suitable and thought these are all likely to be available on your travels or travel well but as much as possible stick to plan. 

Enjoy taper week!

29/03/2013 at 20:38

Day 103 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (29/03/13)

Target: 3 MILE JOG

Actual: 3.11 MILE JOG in 27:48 @ 8:56m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:58m/m. 2nd @ 9:03m/m. 3rd @ 8:53m/m.

It might have only been a 3 mile jog today, but for the first time in as long as I can remember, I ran without a single ache or pain. These sport massages are under-rated!

I know I didn't push myself running at this speed for this length of time, but my legs felt rejuvenated, refreshed and loose. I'm not sure how much of this is a psychological difference, but there was definitely a difference. Part of me wishes I'd now arranged more massages during my training. I also wish I'd pencilled this massage in for after this coming weekend's last long run. I'll just have to focus more effort on getting my foam rollering done correctly every evening.

Good Friday has always been a day where the majority of the time is spent finding anywhere that still has some decent Easter eggs for sale and picking the ingredients for Sunday's roast, shared with friends and family. With the shorter run, there was enough time to flick through the new RunnersWorld magazine yesterday as well, containing some very useful pre-marathon tips.

I always thought airbrushing was savoured for super models and pin-ups, but after seeing it had also been used on me (no guessing where!) it's left me in no doubt that I need to continue my recent weight loss and healthy eating well after Paris..........or at least work on my posture when having my photograph taken!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/290388730

29/03/2013 at 20:46

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 28th March 2013

6:20am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk

8:00am - Cup of tea

9:00am - Bottle of water

10:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water, Clementine

12:00pm - Lunch - Cheese roll, chicken roll, squid ball, spring roll, chicken dipper, mini cheesecake (lunch spread put on by work due to lunch time meeting), bottle of Diet Coke

2:30pm - cup of tea, bottle of water

4:00pm - Bottle of Diet Coke (only because they were giving the leftovers away from my lunch time meeting!)

7:30pm - Dinner - Chicken, rice with sauce with piece of bread. Pint of squash.

8:30pm - Pint of squash, cup of tea, Muller Yoghurt

11:30pm - Glass of water

29/03/2013 at 21:01
Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
No problemo shady, like like your marathon resume! Both of mine were in 2011- I did 4:38 in London and 4:33 in Berlin, and pretty sure I made the same mistakes in both- the biggest one being pacing. In a 5k or 10k I can set off too fast and hold on to get the right time for my fitness, even if that's a hard way of doing it. Certainly hadn't learnt the marathon would find u out if u do that. In Berlin, I actually set off at 4 hour pace,despite not having run at all the month before as I hada knee problem flare up in my Last 20 mile run which made me stop at 11 miles. Crossed half way in 2:06' got cramp in both legs around 16 miles and hobble/jogged for a few miles managed to run for a few more, then it was walk run.
My dad was diagnosed with cancer in the autumn before my first marathon and it took his life this time last year, so in training for both I was spending almost every weekend with my parents to help them out. Clearly this was emotionally very draining, but also meant that the long runs didn't always get done, and when they did, I didn't follow a recovery program like i am now. This is the first time I've really trained well for a marathon, only skipping a run through illness or injury/injury prevention. I've done 280 miles so far this year and the marathon is 12 may, so by then I think I'll be between 450 and 500 miles.
M half marathon time was 1:56 and when u plug it into the calculators u get a 4:03- I'm going to try to pace for a 4:15 though. I've got Bournemouth on the cards for October, and depending how Halstead goes, I'm hoping that will be my first sub 4 hour. The plan is then to spend the first half of next year on speed, so I can be at a higher level training for an autumn marathon - maybe Berlin again?

I hear your pain! I can imagine how painful it must have been for you in those last few miles. I think I've suffered the same fate as you in the past. I've always started off too quickly and paid the price in the latter stages. This is the reason why in every single marathon I've ran, my 2nd half has been at least 15 minutes slower than my first half. Actually, the only time I've managed to go under 2 hours in the second half of a marathon was in Boston. This is something I really want to address this time around and if my other races are anything to go by, I should be in a position to do much better on this.

I'm really sorry to hear about your father. I think it shows what strength and resolve you must have had to even consider to carry on training. It must also give you a real drive to carry on and reach your final goal of Boston.

Your final mileage when you run in May looks to be identical to mine as well. I passed 500 miles with my run today and this is the first time I've ever ran this much in marathon training before.  I really hope this is a good sign.

It sounds like you are being very sensible pacing for 4:15. There's no harm in starting out for this and then if it still feels comfortable later on, you can start to increase your pace. Berlin sounds like a good autumn choice....flat and fast and with a good Bournemouth Marathon behind you, followed by good Spring speed sessions, it sounds like you will be in an optimal position.

I think you're being extremely sensible with your plan. I know my problem would be to try and fit all the positive developments into one single marathon training and end up being disappointed. Your plans sounds very accomplishable. I wish you all the best!

29/03/2013 at 21:04
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

I am getting so excited for you all!

I only added the above so should you need to rely on different snacks you know what would be suitable and thought these are all likely to be available on your travels or travel well but as much as possible stick to plan. 

Enjoy taper week!

Hey Ruth! Thanks very much..........I'm going to try and get as much of my carb-loading menu this weekend ahead of time, so I'm not leaving it to the last minute. 

I'm excited too.........part of me wishes it was this weekend.......hopefully my excitement wont peak too early!

29/03/2013 at 22:13
Hi,

Youve made me want another sport massage again now...I must get one booked, maybe for next friday if possible!

You must have been fuming with your friends. Drunk friends and relatives can be so annoying sometimes. Chris is a nightmare. He was before london last year. He drank loads whilst I was on water, he then was acting stupid at the hotel until god knows what time before he passed out and started snoring. I still got about 4-5 hours sleep before I woke up and tried my best to make as much noise as possible to disturb his sleep....which he slept straight through. He then complained the next day that he was hungover and dehydrated whilst waiting for me to run by!!

It was my first marathon last year Malcs, but somehow, I think I might be worse this year as I know whats to come!

I have been recording all my runs on a spread sheet so it doesnt tell me my average pace overall but I know my LSR have been at least 30 mins slower than MP and today it was 60 mins slower. Im hoping that the speed training and races kick in on marathon day to help pick up my pace...I think thats what is supposed to happen!

Ive hit taper time now too, my last LSR this morning!
29/03/2013 at 22:15
Like the sound of your post marathon recovery plan, I think a few drinks and niceties will be well deserved!
30/03/2013 at 18:19

Well, I went for the 20 miler and...it was fine...phewph!

Foot felt good but I'll have to see how it is over the next couple of days. I'll have my balls out - tennis balls of course, for rolling under the foot, what else? And I'll be icing, prodding and rolling to hopefully prevent any tigtness creeping in.

Thanks for your encoragement. I was saying on Sarah's thread that without the great moral support I would have definitely chickened out. Now I feel so much more confident. I have 3 weeks to manage any remaining niggles and I am in serious danger of completing a proper taper for once!

I'm getting very excited for you all too. One week to go - woo hoo! 

Sarah - I think it makes a big difference knowing what happens on the day. You know exactly how long it takes to get there. You know you don't have to hit the pens too early. You know the toilet situation. 60 mins slower than MP! Now that is erring on the side of caution 

Well done on getting to taper - that's an achievement in itself!

31/03/2013 at 18:40
sarah osborne wrote (see)
Hi,

Youve made me want another sport massage again now...I must get one booked, maybe for next friday if possible!

You must have been fuming with your friends. Drunk friends and relatives can be so annoying sometimes. Chris is a nightmare. He was before london last year. He drank loads whilst I was on water, he then was acting stupid at the hotel until god knows what time before he passed out and started snoring. I still got about 4-5 hours sleep before I woke up and tried my best to make as much noise as possible to disturb his sleep....which he slept straight through. He then complained the next day that he was hungover and dehydrated whilst waiting for me to run by!!

It was my first marathon last year Malcs, but somehow, I think I might be worse this year as I know whats to come!

I have been recording all my runs on a spread sheet so it doesnt tell me my average pace overall but I know my LSR have been at least 30 mins slower than MP and today it was 60 mins slower. Im hoping that the speed training and races kick in on marathon day to help pick up my pace...I think thats what is supposed to happen!

Ive hit taper time now too, my last LSR this morning!

Hey Sarah.......Great to see you've reached taper time intact! It's nice to see other Spring marathon runners now hitting taper time as it makes me realise just how soon both Paris and London are now! I hope you enjoy the easier weeks now before London.

I was a little angry with my friends during the day of the marathon, especially as they were supposed to be bringing my wallet so I could take the Subway for the 3 mile walk to the hotel (they'd all forgot where we were supposed to meet up at the finish, so I was forced to walk!). But as soon as the first celebratory pints were sunk that evening, any ill feelings were soon forgotten. It has made me be a little bit more selective now in who I go to marathons with! I hope you have for-warned Chris for London this year!

My long runs have been very similar in general, averaging about 30 secs below MP pace, apart from the 15 mile MP run I did 2 weeks ago. Like you, I'm also hoping my speed sessions will mean I'll manage MP without too many problems.

Good luck with your taper!

31/03/2013 at 18:50
Malcs wrote (see)

Well, I went for the 20 miler and...it was fine...phewph!

Foot felt good but I'll have to see how it is over the next couple of days. I'll have my balls out - tennis balls of course, for rolling under the foot, what else? And I'll be icing, prodding and rolling to hopefully prevent any tigtness creeping in.

Thanks for your encoragement. I was saying on Sarah's thread that without the great moral support I would have definitely chickened out. Now I feel so much more confident. I have 3 weeks to manage any remaining niggles and I am in serious danger of completing a proper taper for once!

I'm getting very excited for you all too. One week to go - woo hoo! 

Sarah - I think it makes a big difference knowing what happens on the day. You know exactly how long it takes to get there. You know you don't have to hit the pens too early. You know the toilet situation. 60 mins slower than MP! Now that is erring on the side of caution 

Well done on getting to taper - that's an achievement in itself!

Hey Malcs.......another 20 miler in the bag........I think that beats all my records of 20 milers ran in a single marathon training plan. You're definitely in a good position, even with missing the first two weeks or so with the lurgy.

Last proper run for me today before Paris next week. 8.5 miles comfortable. Felt quite lethargic to start with, but got in to it later on in the run. It was nice to see during the run that even if I'm slow to start with and run the first few miles slower than MP, then there's no need to worry or panic as there's plenty of miles to make up that time!

I hope you're furry balls are relieving your tightness issues!  

31/03/2013 at 18:59

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 29th March 2013

Not as many snacks as Ruth has recommended, but as I was out for  most of the day, I wasn't really in the position to snack today!

8:30am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk, cup of tea

9:30am - Pint of squash

1:30pm - Lunch - Vegetable burrito, salad, mint tea.

3:30pm - Bottle of traditional lemonade

4:00pm - Clementine, pint of squash

4:45pm - 3 mile jog (see earlier for description)

7:30pm - Dinner - Egg, tuna and gherkin baguette, pint of squash

8:30pm - Pint of squash, cup of tea, Muller Yoghurt

10:00pm - Glass of water

31/03/2013 at 19:07

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 30th March 2013

9:00am - Breakfast - Hot Cross Bun, cup of tea

10:00am - Cross-training (exercise bike - see earlier for description)

12:30pm - Lunch - A piece of bread and butter pudding, small tub of soy beans. Pint of squash

2:30pm - Bottle of water

4:00pm - Anchovy baguette, Clementine, pint of squash

5:30pm - Dinner - Lamb, potato, carrot and onion stew (small portion), pint of squash

8:30pm - Cup of tea, yoghurt, and maybe a little piece of chocolate Easter egg 'borrowed' from my wife's Easter egg when she wasn't looking!

9:30pm - Cup of tea, small pack of sushi.

10:30pm - Cup of tea

31/03/2013 at 19:16
Sarah O
Taper time - well done and stay healthy now.

Shady Ady -happy with above. Snacks until carb load starts, in a few days time, can now be only fruit or a low fat yoghurt but still don't let yourself get so hungry you overeat at main meals. i would rather you eat smaller meals and increase snacks if this happens.
This time next week you can be eating the biggest dessert and I won' t even mind!!!
31/03/2013 at 21:58

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Hey Malcs.......another 20 miler in the bag........I think that beats all my records of 20 milers ran in a single marathon training plan. You're definitely in a good position, even with missing the first two weeks or so with the lurgy.

Last proper run for me today before Paris next week. 8.5 miles comfortable. Felt quite lethargic to start with, but got in to it later on in the run. It was nice to see during the run that even if I'm slow to start with and run the first few miles slower than MP, then there's no need to worry or panic as there's plenty of miles to make up that time!

I hope you're furry balls are relieving your tightness issues!  

Ha Yes, furry balls are doing their job nicely thanks!

I think it beats my own record count for 20 milers too. Only ever done 3 before. On top of that only one niggle which for me is the biggest thing.

8.5 miles must feel like a walk in the park for you now. Glad to hear that you're not being fooled by the initial few miles lethargy. Yet another one of the mind tricks we are treated to in the taper! 

So, LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO. Wow! A few jogs and a 5 miler is all you have left. Fantastic stuff. I genuinely can't wait to see how much you smash it by.

You've played a great campaign so far. Don't let the taper madness get to you and enjoy the low mileage week ahead of the big one.

Remind me, is it Thursday or Friday you travel out there?

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 21:59
31/03/2013 at 22:57
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
Sarah O
Taper time - well done and stay healthy now.

Shady Ady -happy with above. Snacks until carb load starts, in a few days time, can now be only fruit or a low fat yoghurt but still don't let yourself get so hungry you overeat at main meals. i would rather you eat smaller meals and increase snacks if this happens.
This time next week you can be eating the biggest dessert and I won' t even mind!!!

- Only fruit and yoghurt for snacks.........this is actually musics to my ears as it takes away any temptations of eating any more of the delicious Victoria Sponge cake Mrs. Shady baked today. 

I'm looking forward to earning that massive dessert next week! 

31/03/2013 at 23:00
Woop only a week to go! Exciting!!
31/03/2013 at 23:24

Thanks Malcs...it was so hard to run that slow...but I did it  Congrats again on your 20 miler this weekend.

Thankyou Ruth....no more late nights and partying now until after london

Hi Ady, I think I might swap rooms so I share with my mum, and chris and my dad share the other room...not sure how to tell them yet though! Everyone says that the speed sessions and LSR all come together on the day. Everything seems to be going to plan at the moment, so I have every confidence that its going to work.

1,281 to 1,300 of 1,530 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.