The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

The highs, lows (and everything in between) of my 16 week Paris Marathon training plan.

1 to 20 of 1,530 messages
17/12/2012 at 13:16

So this is it.........the road to the Paris Marathon is about to begin...........16 weeks of focused, dedicated training.  What lies at the end, other than a finish medal and empty tubes of vaseline and deep heat? Hopefully a sub 3:30 marathon, a lifelong dream achieved, and the chance of passing on everything I've learnt to others attempting a similar goal.

Feel free to follow my training, experiences, mistakes and successes on this thread throughout the next 16 weeks. I'm an honest (sometimes too honest!) guy and will give an open and frank account of my attempt in succeeding at my goal.

I plan on updating this at least once daily. If I don't, I'm probably carrying out one of many domestic chores, in order to keep my wife sweet and happy, while I throw everything I have into Asics Target 26.2.

Off we go.........................

17/12/2012 at 13:49

Glad to be the first to comment on here Shady_Ady.

Good luck - I'll be following you all the way!

17/12/2012 at 14:21

Beaten by DS2  (probably won't be the last time I say that either)

Best of luck Shade'ster - will be with you every step of the way!

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 14:22
17/12/2012 at 14:25

Hey malcs, now that no-one is interested in us we'll have to meet for a chat on other people's threads! How was your weekend? Hangoooooooooooooover???

17/12/2012 at 16:01

Hi Ady!  Good luck with the training! Can you give us any details on what the training schedule looks like that the Asics team have devised for you?  Is it similar to what ypu would have drawn up for yourself or is it a complete divergence from what you would have thought?

17/12/2012 at 17:32

DSanta2 and ChristMalcs Cracker..........thanks for your good wishes, and you are always welcome to takeover my thread for your own personal chats.......it keeps me from being in here all on my lonesome.......but I have 1 rule........no talking about hangovers. Sam has only worked one hangover into my training over the next 16 weeks, and that's for New Years Day! That's going to be a tough rule to follow. So far so good though (what am I talking about, it's been less than one day!).

Xyloid............Yes. I'm planning on putting all my training schedules on here, either week by week, or all in one go (probably both!). Then people can see how (or if) my training plan changes over the 16 weeks as I improve along the way. I'll also be putting on my dietary intake (just to show those who think I'm a garbage bin, that I don't actually eat that much now training has started ) so people can see if what I'm eating will actually help me reach my goal of losing 16lbs in the 16 training weeks, bringing me in to Paris as one lean, mean running machine (apologies for the cliche!).

I'll also update daily (sorry if that's too much to some people!) on how each training session has gone, how I think I did, where I failed and where I did well.

Today was my first training day, which went perfectly. It was an easy 4 miles, which my training plan said to do between 9:30 and 10:15 mins per mile. I did it in 9:31 per mile.

I would expand on this further right now, but unfortunately I have to go out to a music gig tonight and pretend I'm still 18 years old and up to speed on the current music scene (those years disappeared a long time ago when the first grey hair appeared!). I will catch up with today and tomorrow, when I write about it tomorrow night. Hopefully then I'll be able to answer your original questions in more detail! 

17/12/2012 at 17:41
Ady, are you using Garmin Connect? If so, what is your user name as I could link up and then spy on you properly...;)
17/12/2012 at 20:02

Evening Ady!

Good to meet you again yesterday and I'll be watching your progress as we've both got very similar targets!

17/12/2012 at 20:10

Ha DS2 - we always have the 26.2 nest to go back to  

I did 3.5 miles to cure the hangover today so I'm half a mile behind you Ady. 

What was it like running that slow? The only time I think I've ever done over 10 minute miles was when I hit the wall! 

Enjoy the gig - what band(s) are you seeing?

17/12/2012 at 21:30

Good luck and have fun

17/12/2012 at 21:31

Hi Ady, nice intro to your thread. I look forward to reading more.

17/12/2012 at 23:14

Hi Ady, have you forgiven me yet for nicking all the medium-sized tops

18/12/2012 at 00:07
Clive......I do have Garmin Connect, but need to set it up and upload my workouts. Ill have this done by tomorrow eve.........now you will definitely know everything I say is true..........no hiding away from Garmin Connect now!

Do you have any races coming up?
18/12/2012 at 00:09
RRR......our targets are almost identical. What's your mileage like? Are you able to work in your Park Runs into your training? Nice to meet up again. Birmingham will come by in no time!
18/12/2012 at 00:36

Evening Ady,

Yes - it's going to be good having you doing the same! So ... if we don't see each other during the marathon then one of us has cocked their pacing up?

My first week is 26 miles ... and includes a parkrun, the 2nd is 31m and the 3rd is 36m, the 4th 39m. What's yours looking like?

18/12/2012 at 07:29

Ady -  Congrats again, is this the first time you have had a target of 3:30 ? 

Edited: 18/12/2012 at 07:29
18/12/2012 at 07:29
Malcs.........If I'm completely honest with you, I know the importance of running slow in recovery runs but I find it so difficult to stay at a speed where I feel like I'm not being tested at all.

Saying this though, if I do this run after a 20 miler then I might see it in a different light. It was good practice though as it'll help practice running slower for my weekend long runs.

Gig was good thanks - Xfm Winter Winderland with Theme Park, Lucy Rose, Temper Trap, The Courteneers and The Editors. More impressively, I drank water too!
18/12/2012 at 08:23

Agreed Ady - running at 9mm feels slow but 10+? Is that still classed as moving? 

Maybe this is where I'm going wrong!

Glad you enjoyed the gig. Water eh? Very impressive. Are you on an alcohol ban or will you indulge over the festive period?

18/12/2012 at 09:27
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)
My first week is 26 miles ... and includes a parkrun, the 2nd is 31m and the 3rd is 36m, the 4th 39m. What's yours looking like?

Hi RRR, what is your current normal weekly mileage? Is this vastly different to what you have been doing?

Ady, same question to you please. How different is your training plan from what you have been doing?

18/12/2012 at 09:38

I was going to ask the same questions  as StickyMistletoe. These mileages seem quite low with only 16 weeks to go, but I suppose it's important to ease into it and depends a lot on where you are now.

For what it's worth guys, I have always found running slow hard work but this year I've listened to some people that know better and I've definitely benefitted from the slower recovery running. You'll probably look forward to it on the mornings you get up and your calves are still sore from the speedwork!

1 to 20 of 1,530 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.