Toilet Facilities at London Marathon

21 to 24 of 24 messages
07/01/2013 at 22:48
I've heard people say that you shouldn't take immodium
If you have food poisoning or things like the norovirus etc as it stops you getting rid of the virus which sounds sensible. That's where I thought the toxic poisoning would come from, I'm no expert obviously.
Where are the toxins coming from if it's just normal food that you are eating. Which, if you were not running, would not give you a sudden urge to go for a number 2.
07/01/2013 at 23:01

I think Millsy has actually given the solution in an earlier post- diet.

It sounds to be like you are maybe eating too close to your run or eating the wrong things, some people need to allow 3 hours or even more between having a meal and running.

I know bananas are a favourite meal for runners but they sometimes upset my stomach, i would keep a diary of what you are eating and come back on here for a bit more advice. Or even better maybe going to see a dietician/nutritionist.

On the day of the marathon you will probably need the toilet quite a lot before the race, this is normal, its just nerves!

It should settle down once the race is underway though.

Edit- something else i thought of ,

Are you taking on energy drinks/gels/sweets etc during your run? This could be potentially causing the problem too, when exercising the stomach needs blood to help break down the sugars that we take in, if someone is working really hard not enough blood can get to the stomach to digest the food because as it is being used elsewhere. This is usually when upset stomachs occur. Maybe try running at a slower pace see if that makes a difference.

07/01/2013 at 23:05
I forgot about the bananas they do have an effect on me.
08/01/2013 at 13:54

Thanks for all the tips/advice.  No, I don't take energy drinks and normally got running first thing before any breakfast.  Have started to cut out dairy and eat less fibre in hope that this may help. Wish me luck .... I'm gonna need it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.