Toilet Facilities at London Marathon

1 to 20 of 24 messages
07/01/2013 at 15:49

I'm running my first ever London marathon this year and although I'm excited I'm also very worried as suffering horribly from runners trots.  I've tried all sorts of remedies and diet changes, but as yet - nothing seems to work.  Can anyone who has done the marathon before advise/reassure  me on the toilet facilities for runners?  Thanks so much.  

cougie    pirate
07/01/2013 at 15:52

From memory - they're every 2 miles or so after mile 1. So you shouldnt have a problem. Immodium not doing the job for you ?

07/01/2013 at 15:58

Phew - that's good to know.  Thanks for that.  I did try Immodium once  (out of desperation)  but it gave me terrible stomach cramps, and ... believe it or not, I still had to stop after 4 miles!!  It's doing my head in.

07/01/2013 at 16:11

Big queues at the start.  Get there early.

Thereafter, there are portaloos dotted around the course, but often a queue there too (and really, really grim when you do get in there).  There used to be a couple at mile 21, but they were missing this year.

Take your own toilet paper, too.

07/01/2013 at 16:25

there are also plenty of pubs en route - most of which will have supporters outside partaking of a few beverages while you're busting your arse. I doubt many landlords would stop you using their bogs in case of need.....

07/01/2013 at 16:31

The loos on the earlier part of the course will usually have less of a queue and be a bit less unpleasant. It's always wise to have a bit of loo roll or a couple of tissues with you though as the it runs out pretty quickly.

07/01/2013 at 16:41
Screamapillar wrote (see)

It's always wise to have a bit of loo roll or a couple of tissues with you though as the it runs out pretty quickly.

which part runs out quickly??

07/01/2013 at 16:43
This is one time when crap advice is appreciated
07/01/2013 at 16:51

there's always a lot en route and normally pubs/hotels/macdonalds dont mind you popping in. What's discouraged is peeing in people's gardens... so just be careful of that!

07/01/2013 at 16:53
Or do a Paula and just do it at the side of the road.
07/01/2013 at 17:04

Try other forms of biding e.g eggs, cheese. Immodium usually works if taken the night before in my experience, not on the day! Try the extra strength. Good luck

07/01/2013 at 17:19

the toilet facilites are there, but there will be queues.

07/01/2013 at 19:17
Loads of toilets. But loads and loads of queues. I spent the whole marathon looking at each queue thinking I'll just run to the next set of loos. Never went to any toilet. ( and before the wise cracks start - never went to the toilet either!)
My advice is see if you can fix the problem.....
07/01/2013 at 19:25
Best bet is to spend the next 15 weeks experimenting with diet and meal timings to see if you can solve the problem.
What I do now, after a couple of close calls,

From wednesday in race week

Cut out any high fibre foods
Cut out fruit, especially dried fruit inc. muesli.
Cut out spicy food
Cut out high fat food
Cut down on milk / lactose

Means a very boring and bland diet for a few days but no toilet worries.

May also be worth experimenting with the different variants of Imodium and also the supermarket own brands as these seem to have a less powerful
effect so may help.
07/01/2013 at 20:19
Is the ratio of toilets to competitors better at the Gfa start?
07/01/2013 at 20:27
I hope so! Surely as a reward for our efforts we can have a relaxing pre race clear out.
07/01/2013 at 20:36

Not sure what the ideal dos is but I take three immodium instants, one first thing and then two more an hour before the start -

07/01/2013 at 21:44

Im pretty sure i read recently that immodium can give you some kind of toxic poisoning.

Basically you are forcing something to stay in your body that shouldnt be, just be careful.

07/01/2013 at 22:20
Keeping a virus in the body and runners trots are very different.
07/01/2013 at 22:33
"keeping a virus in the body and runners trots are very different" very true Mills but who was saying anything about a virus? Could you explain why you said that please? I actually agree with Mark1982 but I don't understand your response.
1 to 20 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.