Training for a marathon

Train to distance or duration?

3 messages
16/06/2012 at 12:08

Last year I trained for a marathon using a self penned training plan that focused on numbers of miles with the LSR increasing to about 21/22.

I have the Liverpool Marathon coming up in October and am tempted to try training to duration with the LSR being based on running up to about 3hrs / 3:15hrs and not worrying about the distance I cover.

I know that there is debate about which is a better way to train. Has anyone got any experience of trying both or views / experience of training by duration rather than distance? I am interested to try for this race and see how I get on.

Thoughts very welcome.....

Doc

21/06/2012 at 12:53

What time are you aiming for?  Do you expect to finish the marathon in 3-3:15?  There's a logic in training for the time on your feet to be the same as your expected finish time, kowing that your training runs should be at a slower pace, henc you'd cover less miles.  I guess you'd have to find a way of making sure you don't run your long runs too hard if you're not going to refer to pace at all.  I know people who have done it both ways and it hasn't made much difference in terms of race time.  Let us know how you get on.

22/06/2012 at 19:22

Thanks mitiog. I am aiming for a time under 4:00. last year I ran 4:33 with a toe injury and my half marathon PB is 1:39 so should be able to hit under 4:00. wasn't planning to run a full 4hrs in training but aiming to complete perhaps about 3-3:15 as a proportion of the hoped for time.

Part of me still likes the idea of distance training and aiming to run up to 21/22 miles. At training pace this will inevitably give me about 3:30/3:40 on my feet.

Thinking about it perhaps making the distinction between the two ways of training is irrelevant as I will end up covering the same amount of ground at the same pace!!

Doc

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.