Training paces

And their definitions

3 messages
Pethead    pirate
06/02/2014 at 15:42

At my current club I have heard quite a few people calling HM pace "threshold" and marathon pace "steady." This surprised me a bit as I'd definitely not call my marathon pace (6.20-ish) "steady" and I don't do many "steady runs" at that pace.

So, out of interest, what would your definition of "steady" and "threshold" be, and am I just training really slowly? 

06/02/2014 at 15:49

Starting to get out of breath. That's threshold.

Steady is slower, and you can run until you sort of get tired all over.

07/02/2014 at 07:10

Threshold tends to be defined as One Hour Race pace, so, unless you are an elite, will be somewhat quicker than HMP - somewhere between HM and 10k pace.
Steady pace is less well defined and is sometimes used to mean a pace slightly quicker than marathon pace, but more usually slightly slower.
However, people often refer to easy pace, ie a fairly slow and relaxed conversational pace, as steady, which can add to the confusion.

Edited: 07/02/2014 at 09:53

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.