Training plan confusion

8 messages
01/01/2012 at 18:53

After reading the marathon training articles in the January 2012 magazine I settled on the 'just get round plan' (with 'boosters') to train for the Vienna marathon in April.  I'm a novice matathoner so havn't got a good understanding of what works so a recommendation from RW seemed ideal.  But I am now confused as the RW Marathon email seems to recommend a different plan.  I figured they would be consistent in their recommendation so is one better than the other?

Any help appreciated. 

01/01/2012 at 23:23

Jonathan,

Add me on runningvandit@gmail.com and I'll be more than happy to help you.

Regards,

Darren.

02/01/2012 at 22:32

Thanks for the offer Darren.  I'm going to stick with the plan from the magazine so i'm all set now.

Regards

Jonathan

03/01/2012 at 09:12
I understand that you might trust the magazine, but a proper and suitable training plan should be given weekly & changed according to your needs, areas of improvement etc etc. Sometimes I have a predetermined quality session on the track but it may vary according to how I feel, the level of progress within the set target & many more.

Good luck with your training & marathon.
Any specific target set?

I have the Malta Half Marathon in 8 weeks time targeting sub 1:18.

Regards,
Darren.
03/01/2012 at 12:48
Hi Jonathan,

I read the article you referred to and yes, it is quite a bit different from their other plans. In fact, that reflects how we;re all different as runners. There are loads of plans you can choose from and ultimately it's up to you what you feel comfortable with. Essentially all will have a progressive increase in mileage including some longer runs, as you'd expect, but as for the other workouts, well there's a huge variety in what you can do. Some plans just say run X miles a day, others are much more varied with tempo and speed sessions for example. If you're happy with the plan you've picked, I'd stick with it and see how you get on. Yes you might need to tweak it for a whole variety of reasons - health, work commitments, running faster/slower than anticipated at a tune-up race but if you've got a reasonable plan and you can more or less stick to it then I reckon you're half way there.

Best of luck to you.

mitiog
04/01/2012 at 16:29

I spent weeks trying to find a suitable marathon training plan. So much conflicting advice out there.

Don't be afraid to tailor a plan to suit you - as long as you rest or have easier sessions following the hard/long runs.

Somebody adivsed me to look at the Smartcoach plans on this website.  I have ended up adapting one of those, as like the fact it sets the pace and level according to your current milage/pace.

Good luck

09/01/2012 at 22:52
Hiya
I've only run one marathon and used the runners world sub 430 - training up to 5 days a week. It was perfect, I got round comfortably but 7 mins slower than my target, I really didn't care. I think all you need to do is pick a plan and stick to it! You won't get it perfect first time, you won't have the perfect race but by training consistently you'll be in good shape on the day.
Good luck
11/02/2012 at 13:06
  But I am now confused as the RW Marathon email seems to recommend a different plan.  I figured they would be consistent in their recommendation so is one better than the other?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.