Training plan!

3 messages
07/01/2011 at 22:48

Hello

I am running the London Marathon this year and I'm looking for a good 14 wk training plan. I ran a half marathon in October and have been (loosely) following the Virgin London Marathon training plan but I'm finding it a bit complicated.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this training plan and if the Fartlek training/amount of runs per week are necessary? I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a good 14 week plan?

Thanks

Jo

08/01/2011 at 11:29

Pretty much depends upon your runnign experience so far: how far you run, how often, how fast.

This iste contains a Marathon Plan generator widget that calculates the plan according to your specifics.

Are the fartleks and interval sessions neccesary?

Itr depends: do you want to just "get round"? In which case I know someone who managed that by only doing the long runs.

Do you want a decent time and to run the whole route? Then follow the plan as much as possible.

You can simplify it into Long Runs, a threshold run and a tempo run a tthe bare minimum, but obviously the higher quality training you do, the better your performance on the day is likely to be.

14/01/2011 at 17:25
I've done 2 marathons in the last two years and I'm doing London as my third this year. I've followed a really simple training plan based on 4 runs a week (I can send you a copy if you like? Just PM me). Tempo - Threshold - LSR - recovery. I don't do anything complicated. I just want to get round do be quite pleased with my time.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.