training plan

11 messages
12/12/2005 at 16:28
Does anyone recommend a good training plan for a 4.30 marathon?

Thanks
12/12/2005 at 16:33
I use one from halhigdon.com
12/12/2005 at 17:33
I think RW do a sub 4.30 training plan, might be worth a look, just click on the grey tab.
20/12/2005 at 11:56
I will be using one I got from the GreatRun website. It's for sub 4:00, which is a bit over-ambitious for me. However, I have adapted it downwards. Most weeks have 4 sessions, but some have 5 so I've adapted it to take out a session on those weeks and it looks like a realistic schedule. The long weekenders build up to a maximum of 4. I'm relatively new to running but find that 5 runs per week doesn't give me enough recovery time and my legs and hips start to get over-sore.
20/12/2005 at 12:08
Just one thing i would like to add. The more 16,18 & 20 milers you put in the more you will get out on the day. Between 02 jan & 23 April iI will be putting in 3x16 mile, 3x 18mile & 2x 20mile runs & of course 26.2 miles on the day. ON my training plan i estimate that i will be running in the region of 560ish miles. Happy Days eh!
20/12/2005 at 12:58
Correction to my post - the long runs peak at 3 hours, not 4. Davey B's schedule looks a bit more comprehensive than mine, which will no doubt be reflected in his performance on the day!
20/12/2005 at 22:32
Crispy, i'm not too worried about my time on the day, i am training 8 other people to run their first maarthon, so as long as we finish i will be happy. I am having trouble with my knees at the moment. I am looking to get these guys round in 4.30 or less ( they dont know that yet!!!)
21/12/2005 at 08:06
Davey - keep up the good work! This is my first Marathon so perhaps I should join your group!
21/12/2005 at 12:10
Crispy, is this your first London marathon or first Marathon?
If it is your first marathon I would strongly advise you to extend your long runs to 18-20 miles or 4 hours. I guess that you are going to be running for between 4-5 hours & you need to train not only your body but your brain & mental side to be able to cope with the strain that it is going to be put through. Entering a marathon is not a thing to be taken lightly. I have seen even the more seasoned long distance runners fail due not to being physically & mentally ready. What is the longest distance & time you have run & for how long have you been running? The reason I am asking is that you need to be 110% comitted to the training, you need to train in ALL WEATHERS & if the training schedule says 20 miles on Sunday you have to do that. What I am trying to say is the more miles you put in over the next 16ish weeks the easier & more enjoyable the day will be.
21/12/2005 at 16:02
Thanks for this advice, Davey. The training plan is in hours for the long runs, not miles. It's my first marathon - I've done up to a half before and stuck well to training plans for the most part. However, I think I need to think carefully about upping the longer runs a bit. Thanks again.
21/12/2005 at 18:00
I'm sure you will be fine crispy, there is alot of difference between a half & a full marathon though. I find it helps to train with other people, do you have a training partner? or maybe a friend will cycle behind you on those long runs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.