Training Q+A: Steve Smythe

Have your marathon questions answered by experienced coach Steve Smythe

41 to 47 of 47 messages
05/02/2010 at 14:08

Jokerman

I once did 5 marathons a year but now just tend to do the one so I don't do long runs all year around.

I did 30k last weekend and will do possible 3 20s before the marathon and post marathon will maybe do a 2 hour run every 3 weeks or so to keep endurance but that will depend on what distance I'm targetting. I like to do a few track races during the summer and  road relays so will try and not run too long and get some speed back in my legs. One of the advantages of having 40 years of running behind me is I retain a lot of endurance from the past years.

05/02/2010 at 14:13

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer everyone's questions Steve!

Don't forget Steve is mentoring two of our Lucozade Sport Super Six team as they prepare for the Virgin London Marathon so you'll find him on Andy and Kim's threads throughout the course of their campaigns.

Pop March 5 in your diaries too - Paul Evans will be joining us at 1pm for another live training Q+A here in the forums.

Thanks again Steve - and good luck everyone with your marathon preparations,

Catherine
05/02/2010 at 14:14

Mouth breather

the most important thing is t be patient - do too much too quickly and you may get injured again.

For the first 4 weeks back, I would not try and gain anything - just ease into gently and don't do anything more than was scheduled. If by the second week of March you are fit and healthy and feel you are nearing where you want to be you could just add 5% in terms of speedwork and longer runs.

You have a month before you need to start tapering where there may be room for extra training but of course that is the peak period anyway.

The key thing is to be fit and healthy and being able to do the marathon rather than do too much now and not get there at all.

05/02/2010 at 14:15
... and thanks to you too Catherine for organising this.
05/02/2010 at 14:24

I think I answered everything and happy to answer anything further on Kim and Andy's threads - both are gaining in knowledge all the time and there are plenty of other similar speed runners there.

Good luck in the marathon - remember to enjoy the training as much as possible and the race on the day. Make your targets realistic ones - work on pacing and test your gel strategy.

Do some of your training at marathon pace but don't run your long runs at a pace that is going to wear you out. Time on feet is important.

While I hope to run sub 6:15s at London, most of my long runs are nearer 8:15 to 9:15. I get the speed from the speedwork and races.

05/02/2010 at 14:55

Thank you very much Steve.

see you in London!!!

09/03/2010 at 08:44

The London Marathon will be my first full Marathon, having only completed halfs until now all under 2 hours. 

I tore a calf muscle when we had the snow in January and have take quite  a while to fully reocver.  I have now recovered and am pleased to mave managed 17 miles on Sunday in 2.5 hours.  However, my calf muscles are still tight and I struggle to get them loose enough to run confidentialy for a few days after the long run - even by today Tuesday.  Any tips on how I can get rid of the lactate build up any quicker??  I am even using compresison socks but these don't seem to have much effect.

MD

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.