Training rescue plan and race strategy

9 messages
21/03/2003 at 16:56
Now, here's my problem: most of my last three weeks' training has been lost due to injury (shin splints) which now seem to be getting better.

Prior to that, I had been training well: approx 75 miles per week, long of runs 22 miles, couple of quality speed sessions a week.

My previous marathon best is 2:42 and I had been hoping to break 2:40 this year. I had been thinking about withdrawing because of the injury, but now want to run if I can.

Any guidance on training for the remaining and race strategy would be useful: I know I can't make up for the lost training, but I might be able to squeeze in two more long runs + some speedwork. Would that be a good idea?

And what about the race itself? Should I (a) treat it as a sort of training run, enjoy myself, and aim to finish in around 2:55? Or go for my original target time, and crash and burn if I've lost too much fitness?

Please let me know your thoughts. Cheers
21/03/2003 at 22:37
This one looks like its going to sink without trace...anyone?
21/03/2003 at 22:47
How can i answer that

I cant
but BOING, anyway

(slow hippo)
21/03/2003 at 22:59
Thanks, hipp...but I'm going to boing this again!
21/03/2003 at 23:05
good
22/03/2003 at 01:31
Donutto,

Have you considered crash-training? e-mail me and I'll forward you an article about it (though being injured already you'd be taking a serious risk of making things worse). It's about your only option if you still want to go for a pb though...
22/03/2003 at 09:55
Personally, I would just go for enjoying the day, and getting around without further injury.

You've obviously done enough training to get around in a reasonable time, so I would suggest being glad that you have recovered enough to run, and enjoy it, rather than risk further injury by overtaining now, and blow the whole thing.

That is common sense advice from a very slow coach, not expert advice at all!
22/03/2003 at 10:32
Donutto, run sub 3h, be happy,finish,get goody bag,run again another day. OR, try for pb, blow up, dont get goody bag, dont run again, take up darts and dominoes, become very sad, your choice!
04/04/2003 at 08:37
donutto

I am guessing by your other threads that you are back on form for the original plan? Was this due to the crash training suggested by Nickj?

If I don't hear from you, best of luck. I don't know what the men's championship is like, but I hope you have lots of men to run with - the women's is a bit sparse for the main part (although I did manage a sprint for the finish line with a runner that I had been chasing for 4 miles - beat her by a second!)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.