Travel on the day (in a panic already)

12 messages
08/12/2002 at 17:53
Hello all this will be my ist London anyone know if there is likely to be any problems getting from Waterloo station to the start on race morning. Also best way bus,taxi,underground,ect (iam working myself up into a panic already and its still only decemeber.
Thanks Dave
08/12/2002 at 19:18
Hi Dave!

Trains from Charing Cross which go through Waterloo East - but they tend to be jam packed so allow plenty of time.

Guess there's the alternative of the DLR these days, but I haven't tried this so can't comment on how crowded it would be.

Cheers, Iain
08/12/2002 at 19:36
Hi Dave,
I go from Waterloo East and as lain says it does get very crowded, but it's not a problem. Just give yourself plenty of time.
08/12/2002 at 21:13
Hi this will be my 9th FLM. There is free rail travel for all runners on race day. Best station is Charing Cross, as trains will be packed when they arrive at Waterloo. Allow plently of time to get to the start as there are 30,000 plus people trying to do the same as you ,so things tend to move very slow..
09/12/2002 at 06:35
Dave, I was in a bit of a panic last year but as everyone says, it isn't difficult - just a bit crowded. Try not to get worked up about it and give yourself plenty of time.
09/12/2002 at 09:39
Waterloo to Waterloo East over the bridge.
Aim to get there before 8am and there won't be too many crowds,afterwards can get a bit hectic,but its only 10-15 mins and everyones doing the same thing so its really quite fun.

Ooooo smell that deep heat and vaseline...
09/12/2002 at 20:56
Be prepared to have your nose stuck in someones armpit!
10/12/2002 at 14:22
What are you worried about Dave. Waterloo is in London isn't it?? I have to rely on Ryanair on the Saturday night from Dublin! Good luck with the race!!
haz
10/12/2002 at 14:58
run there lol
noooooooooooo i found dlr the best way but depends where youre coming from once at waterloo just follow the crowd or be draged by it . gl on the day
10/12/2002 at 17:30
James - Re coming from Dublin on the Saturday night... Remember that you have to register at the expo in East London on Friday or Saturday before 5pm, so don't fly in much after midday on the Saturday! (Unless there are special arrangements for non-UK entrants, but I thought you were all in the same boat.)

Andy
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
11/12/2002 at 07:28
Running C us overseas runners have to go the Expo like the rest of you. James you might have to sort out how you are getting your number and chip on Saturday.
11/12/2002 at 09:50
I'm in London on the Friday! Unfortunately have to do a lot of flying that weekend. Thanks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.