Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

201 to 220 of 5,738 messages
vds
21/11/2010 at 23:07
Hello again everyone.

Welcome Jo.

Very jealous of that 10 mile time M-J.

I've had a quiet week, though just finished it off with an 8 mile slow run. Went out at 7pm expecting it to be freezing but it was a really nice clear night with a bright moon. Taking it a bit easy as I prepare for the Norwich half next weekend. All set mattysmum?

vds
22/11/2010 at 08:51

No running for me this weekend - After a couple of good weeks the calf/shin problem came back with a vengance while I was out for my Friday 3mile round the block trot!

Sooooo, frustrating yesterday as it felt fine & the weather was great for running over the Downs, found myself cursing the people I spotted out & about on their long runs.. Green eyed monster, not one of my better looks... But just can't risk making it worse.

Await call from Sports Physio..

Anyone else injured & frustrated???

22/11/2010 at 09:31

Morning all and welcome Jo - hope you all had a good weekend

I'm slowly but surely getting back into my stride and managed to get a 7 miler in on Saturday although I was feeling it on the Sunday. Was still a wee bit tender this morning so just did a cheeky wee bike session for 45 mintues, hadn't done that for a while but forgot how boring it was!

Sorry you're injured Helen, have you tried toe-tapping for your shins? It helped me when I had bother with them. You basically just sit and tap your toes. Do 20 straight/20 with your foot angled left/20 with your foot angled right x 3 for each foot. Doesn't take long to do and it worked for me so I guess it could be worth a try, I've never had problems with my shins since!

I totally sympathise with the calves, I tore one last year and it was not nice and even now with my new running style they are in knots and I'm having to do lots of stretches / foam rolling /  muscle building work with them to get them really strong as they always feel tight after my runs. Going to treat myself to a wee massage on Friday as well to help too as I haven't had one for a while

Anyway, hope you're back to fitness soon and welll done everyone for keeping up the runs - not long now till the real training starts - I can't wait

22/11/2010 at 09:46

Hi Miggito, Glad to hear you are getting stronger - I had a look at the POSE website as I'd never heard of it before.. How are you getting on with it?

My basic problem is that I've been sitting on Horses for 38 years & as a consequence my calves are the envy of all my friends, no need for stairmaster for me...

Anyhow, the muscles I've built for staying put in the saddle are not necessarily the ones I use for running & as a result I've got all sorts of very deep tissue tightnes etc. etc.. Not heard about toe tapping before, I'll give that a go.. See the Sports Physio at 12 tomorrow fingers crossed I'll be back to running very soon..

22/11/2010 at 13:01

Hi Helen,

Going good thanks, I guess the most frustrating thing is that I have to temper the length of my runs and try to not overdo it. My biggest problems previously were with my knees and since I have started to run POSE, I have not had even a twinge from them (touch wood!) However, it is testing my patience (and my calves) but I hope in another month or so I should be reasonably comfortable with it. It's just hard sometimes having to do all the drills and then try and put in into practice when running as it can still feel a wee bit strange although I'm getting used to it now. I'm glad I've started the process when I did though and not next year as I didn't quite appreciate the time it would take me to do it "properly".

Hope the physio sorts you and I totally understand the calf issue - was the same for me when I started running, my legs didn't know what had hit them!

22/11/2010 at 14:42

Hi all

Sorry to hear about your injuries.. still better to get them over with now.

vds.....Ready for Norwich .... weather permitting that is. I mean i dont mind running in cold weather but could the forecast be for anything colder!!! Last time i ran Norwich it was the hottest day of the year , this year it will be the coldest! Did a 10 mile yesterday  but every step of it was unenjoyable for some reason..i did think of cutting it down to 6 but didnt so at least i was strong enough to not quit.... hoping thats my bad run out of the way for a while so will be okay next week. Am number 201 - if you see me say hello! Nice to have a little rest this week tho! Good luck.. enjoy!

22/11/2010 at 17:53

Just booked my hotel, got a package deal with a coach to the start and massages before and after along with evening pasta meal

kinda starting to look forward to it now

Edited: 22/11/2010 at 17:55
23/11/2010 at 19:36

Squeaks.... Yeah me too. Hotel booked (check), fundraising website set up (check), supporters recruited (check).. Able to run.... erm Lets hope so!

Does looking forward to it make us a bit naiive or slightly insane I wonder? Anyway, me too!

Went to see the Physio today, recomended by a friend who coaches Tennis to Olympians (Ooo get me,) anyway, marvelous woman. An hour later I'd had acupuncture, deep tissue presure relief & been prescribed some excercises. Basically my legs are not a pair - seems I'm a Friday afternoon body - explains a lot believe me. Anyway she recons she can nurse me through.. Result!

Acupuncture rocks - really weird feeling & (for me) immediate relief! Superb..

Hows the rest of you feelin? 

24/11/2010 at 18:51

So many injuries!!

I haven't been on here for a few weeks as i've beenoff injured too, first my back, then my IT band and then my ankle.  Luckily i've decided that's it now andwill be back training again next week.  I am really nervous about though as I haven't run properly for about 6 weeks and i'm scared i'll be starting from scratch.

Anyhow, reading your posts on here has given me inspiration and I look forward to hearing more about how things are going for you all x

24/11/2010 at 21:24

Hey everyone, not been on the forum for a while - not good on the injury front   hope you're all back to it soon.

I had a couple of weeks of doing an 8.5 mile long run and really feeling on top of it, then this sunday shuffled my way round 7.5 feeling so shabby, same for my 4 mile this morning - hope it's just a training blip - probably partly down to my crap diet......must step away from the jammy dodgers!

Keep it up everyone!

25/11/2010 at 08:52

Hi All, my first post on this forum.

I am running next year for CLIC Sargent. My long runs are so far up to 7 miles with a view to starting the Hal Higdon intermediate training plan mid December. What training plans are others following?

Has anyone else given up the drink??? I have so far gone 5 weeks and not really missing it but sure Christmas will be a test.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/inter2.html

25/11/2010 at 09:05

Helen if your having Shin problems repeatedly have a look at newton shoes. They are designed to promote midfoot striking and have a raised section which is mounted on rubber which helps reduce impact.
I always used to suffer from shin and knee issues and really could not run on road for a long period of time. Since moving to newtons I no longer have any issues or injurys. I believe that the reduction of impact really helps me.

I personally can't speak highly enough for this shoe and I believe that they have help resolve a number of issues for me.Im not suggesting that they will solve your issues but they might be worth investigating or having a look at to see if they help you.

You can find out more about them at newtonrunning.com

Edited: 25/11/2010 at 09:06
25/11/2010 at 12:33

Thanks Squeaks, I'm in Asics Kinsai (hmmmmmm lovely shoes) at the mo, but if this continues I might just try Newtons..

Did a 45 minute spin class last night with no ill effects, so will try a little trot tonight - I've been told pain free funning only, so I think I'l go the gym & do a couple of miles on the Treddie fingers crossed!

Clairwiththehair.. I feel your pain (literaly sadly!).. Had IT Band issues myself in March after the Eastbourne half,  had a wardrobe malfunction & was too pig headed to stop & sort it, finished then limped for weeks & ended up having it stripped... Ouchhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Please take it steady a few easy weeks will be much better than another injury _ In truth that statement is as much for me as you!

Karmus.. Hello & welcome.. Given up the drink, are you mad? I have cut back but my glass of red the night before my rest days is both a reward for all my trainig & good for my heart.. flavins an all! If you're going sub 3 I can see it is probably worth it, but for a back of the pack slogger like me, nope I jast can't see it!   

Nik40 - Take a day or two off. Maybe you are coming down with a cold. Are you drinking enough water ? Remember, man cannot run on jammy dodgers alone.. The odd hob nob will help, it's the oats!  

25/11/2010 at 14:48
i've got a question if anyone can answer.  I entered the lottery in may, was informed in October that magazines had been sent out to alert candidates, but up to this time have received nothing in the Mail.  Is there a way to contact someone to get status or to find out if my notice was lost in the mail.  Or is the lack of  a mailer notice that you are not selected.  Confused in Texas.
25/11/2010 at 15:19

Hey C Lowert, sounds like you might have missed out on a place  But to be on the safe side, you can contact the organisers at http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/contact-us/ 

Regards, Helen

25/11/2010 at 16:26

Hi Nik.. maybe its the weather as my long run sunday was for no reason awful! I told myself it was just a random off day and then had 2 good runs this week... so fingers crossed you`ll be back on target by now!!!

I feel like a bit of a freak at the moment as i seem to be one of only a few who arent injured....maybe i just dont push myself enough!! Anyway long may it continue and hope you all recover real soon!!

Vds... its not snowing yet!!!

Welcome Karmus... i was thinking of doing Hal Higdon training programme too starting soon

vds
25/11/2010 at 18:13
Hi mattys mum

Yes, watching the weather forcasts carefully. My sister lives near Norwich and I'll be up there this weekend. Hopefully the race will go ahead.

I'm number 2311. I'll say hi if I see you.

I hope those of you who are injured are taking it easy, and only building up slowly. Mate of mine always seems to be injured, but then he's really impatient and keeps pushing too hard.

vds
25/11/2010 at 18:37

Helen as a matter of interest I had Asics Gel Kinsai 3 and athough they do not feel heavy if you put them against a really lightweight shoe you can notice the difference. I personaly feel the majority of the weight is on the rear of the shoe in all that lovely gel as such it encouraged me to heal strike and the weight of the shoes made me do it quite heavy.
Don't get me wrong I really like the Kinsai and still do, they are really comfortable and I really like the way the laces kinda follow the path of the foot, but these were the shoes which I had all my injurys in...
Just thought I would mention it.

26/11/2010 at 09:29
Squeaks - thanks, hadn't thought of that! I was previously in Kayano's & in truth apart from the wardrobe malfunction issue, I never had a problem & I've gone through 5 pairs of those... Hmmm Vereee interesting!   
26/11/2010 at 10:59

Thanks for the welcomes

I think I am a bit mad giving up drink but want to feel I have done as much as possible to have an enjoyable VLM experience come April and at the finishing line there will be lucozade for me just plenty of cold larger. If I keep it up I should be able to shift a few pounds as well as save some.

Matty's Mum - which plan do you think you will follow? I have done a few half marathons and think that I could do the intermediate 2 but the reason I like his plans if I find it too hard I can drop back to intermediate 1.

Karmus

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.