Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

21 to 40 of 5,738 messages
16/10/2010 at 17:25
Hey Racing Pigeon.

Welcome to the Forum! Just had a look at your blog - love it! Did you manage to get a ballot place or are you running for charity?
16/10/2010 at 17:29
Oh thanks, Kate! Have been offered a charity place, but waiting to find out if I get a media place (I'm a journo) before I take it, should know next week. Will still run for charity but would prefer to let them keep their gold bond places for more deserving runners
16/10/2010 at 17:47
Sounds good...I didn't know media places existed (you learn something new every day as they say!) How's the training going?

I'm on a charity place, very excited although nursing an injured foot at the moment so not running at the moment which is doing my head in Luckily it's not fractured so hopefully won't be too long before I'm back out there!

26.2 miles is a slightly daunting prospect to although I have parents who have run London several times so I should get some good advice along the way!
16/10/2010 at 17:56
Oh dear...I hope your foot gets better soon. Injuries are the most frustrating things ever. Your parents sound like a great inspiration - my mum just thinks I'm crazy!
16/10/2010 at 18:01
Haha! Funnily enough I rebelled against the family running thing for years thinking they were crazy! And now look what's happened......

Thanks! I hope all this sitting in and resting it with ice will pay off soon!!
16/10/2010 at 23:54
Hey guys, this will be my first marathon too.  Running for a charity so a little scared both of the training and 26.2 miles but also about raising all the money! The next few months could be interesting...! 
vds
17/10/2010 at 23:40
Welcome to the thread Little N.

What charity are you running for? Have you got a training plan all line up?
18/10/2010 at 20:59

Hello all!

This is my first one! I am running for the Brain Tumour Trust. I found out today and I am absolutely bloody terrified!!! i am really upset that my mate didn't also get a place but she is an angel and is still going to train with me.

I have been running for 4 weeks and I am doing about 10 miles per week at the moment, I am not going to put the pressure of a time on myself. I just want to get round and raise my money for a fab charity!

Kate

x

18/10/2010 at 21:03
Another Kate!

Hi Kate, welcome to the group!

Well done on getting a place You are in the same boat as the rest of us as none of us have run a marathon before!

I am running for charity too....like you not putting the pressure of a time on myself for me just to get round will be a huge achievement in itself, which I'm sure is the case for a lot of us on here!
18/10/2010 at 21:08

Hi Kate

How many times a week are you planning to run? I am getting a bit stressed about fitting them all in. I am a single mum who works full time and with some careful planning I can get 2/3 short ones and a long one on a Sunday. Do you reckon that is enough?

Kate

x

18/10/2010 at 21:17
Hi,

Well at the moment I am recovering from an injured foot, so can't wait to get back in to running (hopefully in a week or so!) it's doing my head in not being able to do any!

Whatever you do, do not stress yourself out about fitting the runs in! If you stress yourself out you are likely to make yourself ill because you are trying to do so much! For the time being I am sure that's fine and if you can after Xmas try and build it up to maybe 3/4 times a week and long run on Sunday. Entering races will help too. I am planning to do a couple of 10K's, A 10 mile and a half before the big day....but I think training needs to be scheduled to an individual so just do what is right for you.

Hope that helped! I'm sure others on here will have advice too! x
18/10/2010 at 21:40

vds - i'm running for action medical research - i've supported them before and they've been great to work with.

I have been looking at the runners world training plans and trying to decide what to follow.  I think i'm going to try the sub 4:30 ultimate schedule - but under no illusions about actually being able to make that time!    Not too sure what to do in the meantime - think i may do a 10k race in hyde park this weekend then build up the weekend runs a bit...

Must be frustrating not being able to run at the moment Kate  - hope the foot gets better soon!

x

vds
18/10/2010 at 22:02
Hello new Kate - and welcome

I do hope that foot gets better soon original Kate Good advice about not getting too stressed about the number of runs per week I think.

It sounds like most of us are at a similar level, with similar training plans. I too will be trying for a 4:30, though I'm not sure if my legs will do it. From what I've read so far, it seems that while most people can get the distance ok with a bit of planning, speed is a little more dependent on what you are starting/born with.

I missed my long run yesterday - VERY large Sunday lunch in the local pub put a halt to any ideas of running. So ran a slow 10k today - completely shattered now.

Toying with the idea of the Norwich half on November the 28th. Anyone had the courage to actually book a place in a half yet?

vds
18/10/2010 at 22:36

I missed my long run yesterday for exactly the same reason! oops, might need to get out of the habit of that

Was thinking about entering the marlow half marathon in november - but luckily read some reviews first and realised it may be a bit too hilly for my liking! Have entered the reading half though thats a way away....

N x

Edited: 18/10/2010 at 22:36
18/10/2010 at 23:16

am also a newbie running one for the first time , am runnning for macmillan cancer as my dad is suffering with cancer so a worthy cause and motivation to run 26.2 miles ! i agree with kate about no pressure on giving your self a time , just to get round one way or another will be a massive acheivement

have started training by a couple of runs a week gently building up the miles but the 16 week training plan kicks in with first run on new years day  i think 3 runs a week with a long slow run on the sunday is what most of us will stick to .

also am reading this at the moment and going to use their plan , is a book for normal people with busy lives just starting out and the sole aim is to get round  - good enough for me !

The Non-Runners marathon Trainer  

19/10/2010 at 09:11

Although I got a ballot place im running for Macmillan, and its nice not to have the pressure of raising a fixed amount although I think it is a decent cause its as much to do with the support they offer runners and their familys for me. Its also my first marathon

Im currently running about 25-30k a week, Im following a plan which ups the milage to about 45 km next week I really want to do a 20 mile run before xmas at least, just to make me feel better and more confident about things

Edited: 19/10/2010 at 09:13
19/10/2010 at 16:09
My first time too!!!!!  Very excited and nervous but what an event to be part of. 
19/10/2010 at 21:19
Hi Titchy Runner! Welcome to the forum!

Did you manage to get a ballot place or are you running for charity? How's the training going?

Also to everyone: I was wondering if anyone has been exploring training plans and know which ones seem to be good for the beginner? I know the Virgin site has some as does this site, but I'm not sure which one to follow!

Thanks! Happy Training!
20/10/2010 at 00:36

Hi all,

I've got a charity place running for Macmillan.  I have only ever run 10K before so the thought of running 26 miles is quite frankly a bit terrifying!!  I've printed off the beginners runner 24 week training guide from the marathon website and I'm trusting that it will get me round on the day!!  I can't begin to think how long it will take so am not looking to do a time - I'll just be glad to make it round in one piece!!  I'm secretly hoping the person in the heavy diving suit is doing it again this year so I won't be last!!

20/10/2010 at 01:42
Hello

I'm mulling over an offer of a charity place in the VLM 2011. Only started running couple of months ago so not sure If I am up to the task. But I know the charity do some fantastic work.

Andy
21 to 40 of 5,738 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.