Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

1 to 20 of 5,738 messages
12/10/2010 at 14:42
Hi All,

I am doing the VLM for the first time in April and was wondering if there are any others who are fairly new to running and in the same boat on here?

Good luck to anyone who is also running!

12/10/2010 at 15:18
Come over to VLM Virgin thread.. you will be more than welcome there..... we will not bite... honest.
12/10/2010 at 15:39
Thanks for your message - it would make much more sense! This is going to sound silly, but where is the thread? I am new to this site so haven't yet figured my way around!

Thanks
13/10/2010 at 14:30
me me me! Didn't know there was a VLM virgin thread either so off to look at that too!
13/10/2010 at 17:13
Hi RoseC.... did you find the thread? It's on the Virgin London Marathon Forum and the thread is called FLORA VLM
13/10/2010 at 17:14
Sorry it's actually FLM Virgin!
13/10/2010 at 21:11
I've never done it before either. Excited and terrified.
13/10/2010 at 21:16
Join the club! It's great to see runners in the same boat on here. Did you manage to get a ballot place or are you running for charity?
M-J
13/10/2010 at 21:28

I'm a first timer too And can't wait!

I got a ballot place

13/10/2010 at 21:41
Well done M-J! I am on a charity place, looking forward to it but the thought of 26.2 miles is slightly daunting too!
vds
13/10/2010 at 21:54
My first marathon too, charity place for a kidney research organisation - so can I join this club Kate?

Looking forward to hearing about everybody's training. Hopefully will help to keep me motivated over the coming cold evenings.
13/10/2010 at 21:58
Got a charity place with Asthma UK.
13/10/2010 at 21:58

Hi All

First time at London - Sorry though have done 2 marathons before.

Ballot place and just starting back from injury -  taking things very very easy.

13/10/2010 at 21:59
Tell me about it! It's already beginning to get cold! Of course vds I am currently resting an injured foot (not even running related- thanks to my flatmate!) Am dying to get back to running so hope to kickstart the training in a couple of weeks. Tried to run yesterday (a week later) and my foot was in lots of pain afterwards so it looks like i need to leave it for a while Good luck with the training!!
vds
13/10/2010 at 23:25
Thanks Kate - go easy on that foot, though I can quite understand the frustration. Perhaps a swim or some bike time while waiting for recovery?

I'm quite envious of your ballot place M-J, It must be a good omen for your first marathon to win the lottery to start with.

How about you RoseC? Charity place or ballot?

Any particular reason for Asthma UK M-A D?

You guys have inspired me already - just spent 40 minutes on the treadmill
M-J
14/10/2010 at 18:22

Hi

VDS- Yes..I know I'm very very lucky to get the ballot place.

I've joined a running club so will be running with them once a week- the rest of my traning will be alone. A friend of mine also got through the ballot although she lives the other side of England so we're keeping each other motivated through texts/ online.

Running 5x a week at present and trying to avoid an injury. Just splashed out on some Winter gear from Aldi and have an early Christmas present in the shape of a 405 Garmin winging it's way to me. Can't wait!

Love running now, my only regret  is that i didn't take it up when I was younger (now 38) but then again I don't think I would have had the mental stamina then to run 13- 26 miles.

Kate- who are you running for and what amount do you have to raise?

M-J

14/10/2010 at 19:01
Thanks for the advice VDS and keep going with that running M-J I am running for a charity called HemiHelp who support people with a form of cerebral palsy known as Hemiplegia. I actually have it, but only a mild form now after being born very prematurely...so seemed like an appropriate choice for me. I have to raise £1800 still quite a bit, but not as much as other charities.
vds
14/10/2010 at 21:57
Stuck in a hotel room in Stockholm tonight so no running
I've had a 405 too M-J. It's a great piece of kit and the website that records your runs is a good motivator. The battery can be a bit temperamental though. Try to let it discharge to as near as empty before recharging to protect it.

Must go buy some fluorescent clothing...
14/10/2010 at 22:30

I got a ballot place, first time I applied as well.
Can't say im over excited in all reality either, still more interested in doing tough guy or the snowdonia marathon.

Edited: 14/10/2010 at 22:32
16/10/2010 at 17:08
Hi VDS! Thanks for being my first blog reader and hope you manage to get out and about tomorrow. Do some strength work in your hotel room? It's great to meet the other marathon first timers on here.
Emily
whenIthinkaboutrunning.blogspot.com
1 to 20 of 5,738 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.