VLM - can I wear an earphone?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
15/04/2012 at 21:23
I'm with VMoxy. What's with the attitude from some of you? The question was not about the merits of running with earphones but whether you were able to in the VLM.

15/04/2012 at 22:40
oh my goodness gracious me! Cougie, you dangerous man, you! ¦'oD
15/04/2012 at 22:55
Keeley thanks for asking the question. I'm planning on the 1 earphone approach but will tuck them into my top when I want to enjoy the atmosphere and listen when I need the boost.
16/04/2012 at 06:40
I'm with VMoxy too. As long as volume is set at a sensible level, if it's what you have trained in, stick with it. Crumbs, we all say never change on race day what you have done in training, so I would stick with this adage for earphones.

One recommendation though is to choose the fit of earphones. Ones that are firm and sit just in the ear are much better than earbuds that tend to completely block the ear and so drown out other noise. Mine are the former and let me listen to music, listen to the crowd, hear my name, hear the marshals and chat with fellow runners. Oh, and even better....they are fully removable if I change my mind!
16/04/2012 at 08:56

My usual practice is not to put it (or them) in until I'm clear of the congestion at the start of a race and things have settled down.

I find it hard to believe (show of hands?) that, after that point, anyone has ever heard a shouted instruction from a marshal during VLM

I mean even without earphones, I, and apparently many other runners, miss entire stands of charity supporters bellowing and waving flags, so the chance of hearing a marshal say something at VLM, with or without earphones, must be zero.

16/04/2012 at 09:21
As long as you are considerate to other runners ... Will be my tenth Mara and it's soooooooooo annoying when runners don't hear you and are oblivious to people around them .. Also as a spectator it's madly irritating to shout support and have runners oblivious ... But if you need to wear headphones do so wisely and with consideration !
16/04/2012 at 10:34
TBH I don't bother cheering for those who wear headphones on the provision they probably can't hear me anyway. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.