VLM - how early do you need to get to the start ?

15 messages
17/03/2013 at 07:36
Hi - trying to work out which train & how early to get up ! I understand its a bit of a walk from the station (whichever you use). Is 30 mins too little ? About an hour ok ? Ta
cougie    pirate
17/03/2013 at 07:49
You definitely want an hour. I think the baggage buses leave with about 30 to go.
It's your big race - you don't want to be in a rush before the start.
17/03/2013 at 08:10
Hi, I used the Thames clipper last year and it was really easy, getting off and walking past kutty sark while the final preparations took place was one of my favourite memories. I faf alot at the start so I had an hour. Good luck
17/03/2013 at 20:04

I'd give it a good hour from getting off the train. The start is the best bit.

18/03/2013 at 22:47
Ta very much
21/03/2013 at 14:02

I'm staying at the Britannia Docklands Hotel the night before...and already starting to worry about getting to the start on time...this is my first marathon I feel massively under prepared as coming back from injury and generally a bit of a worrier...any suggestions as to easiest way to get to the start from the hotel? Thanks

21/03/2013 at 14:11

Follow the crowd.

From just about any station leading into London there will be people waiting with their kit bags for the baggage bus.

Find someone on the sane colour start you are on and follow them.

21/03/2013 at 14:35

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking...my training buddy has deferred her place so will now be running on my own...bit nerve wracking...I'm on a charity place so I'm guessing there will be a lot of people who will be heading to the same start as myself. I'm also thinking of tagging along with one of the pace groups (the slower ones!) as hoping to save my hip for as long as I can before I have to opt for the run to water station, walk through & stretch if need be, run to the next water station tactic, hopefully after half way! As it's my first and for charoty my only goal is to get round and finish with a smile if I can  Good Luck all x

21/03/2013 at 14:37
Carley im on my own too...charity support is great

Have you thought of joining one of the pacing groups? Then you can chat to random people
seren nos yn canu    pirate
21/03/2013 at 14:40

you need 30 mins spare to queue for the portaloos

21/03/2013 at 14:43

I think I might,  even if I do have to adopt a run walk approach at some point at least there will be others in the same boat...I hope! I did 18 miles on Tuesday (my longest to date) and had to adopt a run to gel stop, gel, water, quick stretch run to next gel stop approach after mile 13...as long as I can get to Tower Bridge before I have to do that I'll be pleased.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
21/03/2013 at 14:50

the run walk pace maker will run walk from the beginning I believe............as if you wait until you are shattered to run/walk then both your run and walk sections are slower......... but if you go at you own pace you can quite often tag onto a pace maker and try and keep up with them when they overtake you.......

21/03/2013 at 14:52
Carley, I was ill for a long time earlier in the year. I too am on 18 miles. I do feel confident about finishing but I know at some point I will have to adopt a run/ walk strategy.
21/03/2013 at 14:53

I'll see what pace groups are available and make my descision from there...I think if I can keep a group in sight even if I have to walk through a water station or 3 then I would be ok...the only goal is to get round and get the medal be it by running, walking or crawling...running preferred though 

21/03/2013 at 15:00

Sorry to hear you were so ill...I don't mean to sound rude but it is reassuring to know there are others in the same boat Liberty...I too am confident of a finish regardless of how I get there which is what counts I guess! Are you planning a further long run? My plan calls for 20 miles Easter weekend but given the state of my hip I don't know if it's worth the bigger run or to try and get my hip in the best shape before then and keep up the shoter runs...

Apologies for hijacking this thread with unrelated questions...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.