VLM 2010 Survivors

Onwards and upwards to other events :o)

261 to 280 of 4,829 messages
30/04/2010 at 15:15

I'm struggling to resist the temptation to look at that thread!

As I'm sure those of you who have met me in the flesh will confirm I don't have any weight/health issues but sub 4.30 was a real achievement for me.  Like Hash I've never found anyone in person who would put slower runners down, even people who win prizes have been quite happy to advise me.

30/04/2010 at 15:47
Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

I'm struggling to resist the temptation to look at that thread!

As I'm sure those of you who have met me in the flesh will confirm I don't have any weight/health issues but sub 4.30 was a real achievement for me.  Like Hash I've never found anyone in person who would put slower runners down, even people who win prizes have been quite happy to advise me.

Go on have a look you know you want to
30/04/2010 at 16:04

An idea from Pinks and others on our Virgin Lonodn Marathon thread..... your comments

The idea ( cooked up by Trigg and me ) was that we all ( families included  to enjoy the break ) run a race overseas as a weekend or longer break sometime late in 2011. It would mean we could train during the summer. It would give our respectives a thank you for putting up with us.. if we get enough interested we can arrange it ourselves or we can take up a tour from a company ...... waits for reaction from you all....

Anyone have any ideas where they would like to go....

have been thinking of Palma and Benidorm as there are half marathons as well....

30/04/2010 at 16:10

Well I found a thread by Fat Buddha that has made me wonder if I do want to do it next year after all but that doesn't have anything about Super 6 so can't be the right one.  Point me at it please someone!

Gatton - my household are already considering a trip stateside next spring so I think that will have to do for me!

30/04/2010 at 16:12

Where do I sign

Some of our club have done the Benidorm Half they said it was really good and what a nice time they had too.So I would be up for that one for deff.

30/04/2010 at 16:18

Looks good for all abilities....

http://www.tui-marathon.com/_eng/index.html

30/04/2010 at 18:32
Ah, I think I've found it.  Lets see how long before I head back here looking like this
30/04/2010 at 18:54

*counts* 1.... 2....3.... you back yet Bridget?

I gave up reading after the first few posts. Utter drivel!

Antibiotics for my manky toe. I had to wear sandals to work today because it hurts to wear socks/shoes  

Edited: 30/04/2010 at 18:54
30/04/2010 at 19:09
Hurry back Bridget...................
30/04/2010 at 19:52

Lostkat - hope your toe is ok.  I've been suffering terribly with mine.  No matter what the pain is, there is no way I could wear sandles in public - they are way too manky.

Bridgets been a while in that other thred - I hope she is ok

Edited: 30/04/2010 at 19:54
30/04/2010 at 19:55

Now I love these threads I just only look at them and wonder how it all got to there, everyone however runs for a different reason, I am not  " a serious competitive" athlete but  still want to do my best just like most of us. I guess some of the people who post on these threads have "forcefull personalities", they believe that what they say is correct,being quicker than someone else though doesn't mean you area better person than the plodder.

Am I speaking rubbish, its been a long day

Do you know there has not been one nasty post on this or Hash's thread to my knowledge.

Do you think we are all too nice?

Perhaps a lurker will come forward and tell us where we are going wrong! PSML

30/04/2010 at 20:00

Oh lordy me. I ventured into a thread where I shouldn't have.

Sparkly B, I missed your reply from last night. Okay, if supersnails are allowed at the Parkrun (and you won't start a thread complaining about fat slow runners ruining your fun ) then I'll try and make it to one soon. I might even bring some friends. I've got a load of girlfriends who've developed an interest in running (or plodding) thanks to my marathon efforts. That's got to be a good thing, hasn't it?

30/04/2010 at 20:22

Absolutely!! MM you have inspired them!!! Brilliant.

Love the parkruns - they are for everyone!! We get walkers at Gorleston.

30/04/2010 at 20:35
Rod Goodwin wrote (<a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=11&UTN=157994&cp=14#8530747" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">see</a>)

Do you know there has not been one nasty post on this or Hash's thread to my knowledge.

Don't tempt fate Rod!   Seriously, I'm so lucky that you lot and everyone on my thread is/was universally lovely, if I'd had a single you've-thrown-in-the-towel-when-others-would-have-tried-harder comment I really would have unravelled.  Three things kept me sane:  1) my lovely hubby Big Blouse, 2) the off-line support and understanding from Liz and the rest of the super six team and 3) the people on my thread.  The friends I have in "real" life are noticably absent from the list, not because of any failing on their part, but because if you aren't a runner you'll never understand.  If I had a pound for all the well meaning "good luck on Sunday" comments I had last week I'd be dining out for a month, even though they'd seen me staggering around like Lurch for the last three months

Eeek Lostkat, that sounds painful

Gatton, what a fantastic idea and a huge yes please

*lays out wine, chocolate brownies and big comfy cushions for Bridget*

Edited: 30/04/2010 at 20:37
30/04/2010 at 20:45

Marathonmummy I've just read what you wrote on the other thread, and the replies, then your response.

I'm too jaded and wrung out with it all to have the energy to get involved in the debate over there beyond what I said this morning, but just to say a huge, huge, thank you and good on you, you've summed it up perfectly.

Edited: 30/04/2010 at 20:46
30/04/2010 at 20:54

Hash they are very nice words, friends in"real life " are special and that will never change but you're right they don't really understand, no disrespect meant but they don't.

You did the right thing deferring , say you had struggled on  ( I don't mean that in a nasty way) and got to the start, had a hard time of it. then the "experts " would have had a field dayand then you would have gone nuts at them

I have met some fantastic people through your's and Rios thread ( well Rio did start it!) and what is even better that it will continue, I love running it has certainly become a big part of my life, still like a glass of wine and the odd curry though that will never change

30/04/2010 at 22:38

Thank you Hash. I was biting my tongue, and after two glasses of wine this evening I'm sitting on my hands

I'm sticking to threads like this and the post vlm lose the lard thread. There be lions and bears out there on the other threads!

01/05/2010 at 00:02

Ahhhh finally found this thread after worrying all had gone quiet on Hash's. *Manic wave to all*

Now to catch up... 

Edited: 01/05/2010 at 00:04
01/05/2010 at 00:14

Hey Gemma,  glad you found us.  How are you?

We're off ooop north stupidly early tomorrow morning, so won't be around for a couple of days but will be lurking by phone.  Have great bank holidays all xx

01/05/2010 at 00:16

Evening All,

Since the race I've been working in Scotland, not ideal recovery, but feeling pretty good now.  My time was slower than I wanted by some 20 minutes, but I have had no problems from faster runners.  In fact my boss who is a sub 2:50 marathoner has been going out of his way to tell everyone how well I did.

As I said the other night a picture of me at the finish.  'bout time I stopped hiding behind the diving gear.Must admit I look a lot better than I felt!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/240754/Gallery/DSCN6554_-_Copy.JPG

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.