VLM 2010 Survivors

Onwards and upwards to other events :o)

321 to 340 of 4,829 messages
02/05/2010 at 15:27
Tracey033 wrote (see)

hoping to go for my first run tomorow my toes are finally ready to hit the roads again . Intereset in what everyone says about GNR - it's my first one this year so any tips what to avoid would be appreciated.

Also can't wait for Birmingham half - it;s the fist year I've been home to run it!!

I've done 2 GNR's one bit of advice is don't get to the start too early. firsyt year I was there for 8.15 which meant two and a half hours on my feet , I would aim to get there for around 9.15.

First year my mate met me at South Shields we got out ok but it can take an age.

Last year I was stopping at the Mal Maison Newcastle Quay and left my car parked in the car park at the back of it, a 10 minute walk to then Central Sation then a stop or two on the Metro and another short walk, sounds a lot but it is easy.

Yhen at the end I jumped on one of the buses and got dropped back in Newcastle thus missing all the traffic.The Metro queues at south Shields last year were very bad I heard.

Running wise it is no busier than VLM this year, the pens were hectic as they upped the runners to 54000, Mr Foster if you read this stop it and reduce it to under 50K

Beware of the John Reid Road from around mile 8 to 11 it is not steep but it goes on.

Above all enjoy it, it's not like vLM but it has a certain Charm.

Oh and try and stop with Friends or family the hotel costs are high, more so than London!

ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 15:32

Pinks try this for a spin bike.  The company are good about delivery and although I had to put the normal exercise bike we ordered for work together it was very easy to do.

Sorry I can't comment on GNR.  There was nothing I enjoyed about it.  What I would say is try to ensure you know where you are meeting up afterwards as it is virtually impossible.  And be prepared for a long wait to leave and get home!  I stayed with friends and the queues were awful (this was in 2007 I think)

02/05/2010 at 15:36
Yes Rio they seem to be well liked a couple of friends are doing the Stratford Tri I thought I may go and support them, good luck with recovery, it's ironic you got to the start of VLM a feat in itself gthen take a tumble! Ah well. I was  disappointed not to meet up with Yourself and Hash and all at Chandos, it was so busy, as it happens when I got back to the hotel in Blackheath not many of us were there so I could have probably hung aroung at Chandos, still I know now, nest year I reckon I can do it by train from Banbury to Marylbone and then to Charing x to Blackheath, the underground was shut this year else I may have done that, the one element of VLM that was not busy really was the start it seemed quite relaxed compared to the madness once we started
02/05/2010 at 15:48
That's an impressive bruise Rio
ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 16:01

I am sure we will get to meet up before next VLM Rod

Thanks Sprakly.  I wish I could say I got it in an act of daring but alas no!  I was just pootling along and the back wheel caught a lip in the path and slid away from me.  Being clipped into the pedals I couldn't put my foot down and the whole thing crashed onto me.

02/05/2010 at 16:17

Jesus appears to be wearing a beanie with a cross on....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/192512/Gallery/bruise_Jesus_copy.jpg

02/05/2010 at 16:19
Ah Rowan I see it's a busy day today
02/05/2010 at 16:23
Yeah, I can do a much better job when I've got time *G*
ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 16:24

Lol

Oh yes I can see it now!  A holy bruise!  That must have been why I fell.   He wanted me for a reason!

02/05/2010 at 16:26
Hey, it's Sunday, maybe you should go to church and show it to the congregation.
02/05/2010 at 16:27

It is always a pleasure to be in this thread no bickering and bad mouthing just harmless simple amusement (at the expense of Rio's injuries )

Long may it continue.

ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 16:29

I am sure it will continue Rod.

I also have rope burns on my left hand but that is a whole other story!

02/05/2010 at 16:38
Rio is that from that machine in the gym where you pull the rope for 1 minute, now that is hard!
02/05/2010 at 16:39

Ouch Rio nasty one but should heel quickly now Jesus turned up

Got hit by a taxi this year when I was on my bike, I was in a round about and he just drove in right on me....was screaming angry but luckily not hurt badly...taxis in London can't drive...or bendy buses

Have not run a single step yet or been on my bike, but today I can bend my right knee again after plenty of RICE, Ibuprofen tablets and Arnica cream. Toes are less manky with tea tree oil but so not  pretty sight anyway. But it will probably be at least a week before knee is ready for even a slow plodding run

Got a nasty cold too as I forgot strainious activities and vaccinations doesn't go together, took a Rabies vaccination 2 days after the marathon which can give you a cold as a side effect....and yes it certainly did.

Definitely applying for LM next year again, but also looking for another marathon in the autumn, sort of mid Octoberish, would not mind a warm marathon.

ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 16:41

Lol

No it was from my wayward horse who decided she didn't fancy walking past a gate that had a rug on it cos it didn't have a rug on it before!  She reared up taking the rope with her because I forgot to let it go!  (Again!)  Still could have been worse because I had a horse in each hand and they both could have done it and/or trampled me in the process

02/05/2010 at 16:45

Oh dem horses

Zaba is that taxi drivers as in Black cab or mini cab drivers lol

My experience of mini cabs is you normally have to tell them which way to go, I spoke to someone at VLM last week who had takena mini cab only to be booted out after having to push start it, then the car broke down, defies belief really!

02/05/2010 at 16:51

Ouch Rio, I'm so sorry to hear it, that looks really nasty. Really sorry to hear it puts Bala in question, the timing is just pants

Tracey my only GNR tips are 1) watch out for the water bottle tops on corners, it's like running on ice and 2) be warned, it will take you forever to get away by car, the traffic jams are unbelieveable. 

Zaba hope you feel better soon

God I'm glad to be home.  Had some ghastly family stuff to deal with in Scotland involving a round trip of nearly 800 miles in two days, and 11 hours clamped in a car. Blouse has, as usual, been a tower of strength, that man deserves a medal and (at the very least) the meal at the Piggie I'm treating him to tomorrow.

Last night I was seriously worried, the knee was doing the maltracking pain again, I thought I'd put myself back to square one.  Thankfully after doing about an hour of physio exercises and iciing it seems fine now, so hopefully just a blip.  I haven't run since my little illegal poddle at VLM last week because it was yelling, so theory B is that it's stiffened up through lack of use.  A little 4 miler tomorrow and we'll see how it goes, but I really need to stop obsessing about my former target of 100 miles per month.  That's why I over did it in the first place......

02/05/2010 at 16:51

Black cabs...hate them with a vengance.

Lol minicabs though are also bad, got chucked out from one a few years ago, he tried to sell us drugs, we turned them down, then he got rude and chucked us out....the fair lasted a whole 100 metres

ImRio    pirate
02/05/2010 at 16:55

Oh Hash!!   I think it has probably stiffened up from use full stop!!   Be really gentle with it and forget about targets of any sort for a little while.  Hope the family stufff is ok.

I will still be able to do Bala but think I will have to not go for a time this year.  Just play it by ear. I think the bike section is going to hurt!!!   I still have 3 or 4 weeks to do some mileage but not sure how fast I will be in that time.   Think the Vitruvian will have to be my only A race this year now.

02/05/2010 at 17:12

Rio have you tried Arnica cream to get the swelling and bruising down?

I swear by it I can bend my knee now My friend even uses it on blisters. Can be found in Holland & Barratts, must work as it is one of the most stolen items in my local H & B...obs not by me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.