VLM 2010 Survivors

Onwards and upwards to other events :o)

381 to 400 of 4,829 messages
04/05/2010 at 11:56

How much does a charity expect you to raise Mark?

I thought I may run for Diabetes UK I did the GNR for them in 2008 although i had already got a place myself, raised £700 with not too much effort, I think people are only generous every so often which is why I said I would only do the Charity thing once every 3 years that way people don't avoid you!.

Suze, not being too hot on the fashion stakes what is a skort? I think I know is it obvious by the name, I never knew what Capri's were till I came here, "peddle pushers" I would have called them

I am prepared to be shouted at for being so "lacking in knowledge"

Anyway s..... it I am going to Silverstone even if it takes me an hour to do the 10K, that will be 3 PB's in 10 days how good is that?

The fact they are are all run on a technicality ( new distances for me) is irrelevant)

ImRio    pirate
04/05/2010 at 11:59

Suze I knew you had advance access to the ballot but I didn't think they were going to honour anything other than those on 4 rejections already.   My misunderstanding.  I hope you don't need to wait that long!

Mark it gets harder and harder to achieve particularly on consecutive years.  I did it 5 times and to be honest the only reason I think people gave that last time was becuase I did it in the Little Miss Naughty costume for the charity

04/05/2010 at 12:06
Im.Rio wrote (see

Mark it gets harder and harder to achieve particularly on consecutive years.  I did it 5 times and to be honest the only reason I think people gave that last time was becuase I did it in the Little Miss Naughty costume for the charity

well Rio where is the photo lol
mcs
04/05/2010 at 12:13

Rod.........Bowel & Cancer Research were looking for £1500....some of the smaller ones want about 1250  and some want up 2500 now which is hard work......... I had to work hard this year to get up to that as so many people are on the charity thing now. I wont do another for a couple of years on the charity front. Though the supermarket thing was easy money if you dont mind packing bags all day.....and getting friends to help.

04/05/2010 at 12:30
Mark thanks for that it's sort of about what I expected, I could probably do that to be honest but I would rather have a ballot place. I set myself the challenge when I did GNR of finishing in under 2 hours else I give the donations back, luckily I did it in 1.54 but I was a little concerned
04/05/2010 at 12:56
Rod - a skort is a running skirt with shorts underneath.
mcs
04/05/2010 at 12:57
ROD.........GNR is that as busy as London? What about the hilly bits? Support is it good?
04/05/2010 at 13:00
GNR is more busy than London, not that hilly, support fantastic (although not quite as good as london).....
04/05/2010 at 13:10

Mark it is busy but not in a lot of places depends on what pace you are running, great support in a different way to London , an uphill part from 3 to 5 no worries the John Reid Road section from mile 8 and a half or so to mile 11 and a half is a good old slog not really bad but respect it thats my advice, then a sharp downhill bit and onto the last mile along the seafront really good support there.

As I have said here before don't get to the start too early else you are on your feet for ages before yuo even run a metre.

I hope you enjoy it I have for the last 2 years but it is not for everyone.

04/05/2010 at 13:30
Suze78 wrote (see)
Rod - a skort is a running skirt with shorts underneath.
Got it Suze I thought that but have never heard of such a thing!
04/05/2010 at 13:49
Im.Rio wrote (see)

The fourth photo down contains a familiar face

And as for that woman three pictures below getting her pom poms out......

mcs
04/05/2010 at 14:06
Good pics Hash..........got any for this year?
04/05/2010 at 14:38

Hash good photos I am still wondering how I missed the mile 17 merriment

also having had time to asses the run a couple of Sundays ago I wonder if I actually didn't take on enough water and was suffering from dehydration in the latter stages. the fizz lent me a book "advanced marathoning" ok most of it won't apply to me as I am not fast but thumbing through it I read a bit that said even a slight lack of fluid can cause bad things to happen later on in the run, I am not certain but It would be nice to know, I don't think even I could have stomached another of those gels.

04/05/2010 at 15:26

Thanks Rio I have ordered one and will see how I get on - I'm sure I won't last more than 10 minutes before I collapse in a heap!!

Went to my charity's tea party for the marathoners yesterday and I may have been pursuaded to do Budapest in September!!!  There is a 30k as well as a marathon or you can do the full in relay with a team of 3-5.   Anyone done it? 

04/05/2010 at 15:55

A bit late in the day I know but who has entered and who has still to do ????.... or has a deferral or both ...

04/05/2010 at 16:05

Hmmm entered the ballot again, what was I thinking of have I learnt nothing from 09 & 10????

Thinking of an autumn marathon best time would be end of October, the contenders so far are (in no particular order);

Dublin Marathon 25th October

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October

Mallorca Marathon 17th October

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October

Athens Marathon 31st October

Casablanca Marathon 24th October

Do you know anything about them? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

04/05/2010 at 16:24

Amsterdam is flat flat flat and has a half.
Athens is hilly hilly after the first 10km until last 5 km
Mallorca seems good with a half and a 10km as well... a good family weekend away may even do this in 2011.
others may well have more info about these especially Dublin...

04/05/2010 at 17:26

Mark, yep I've got some really good photos of this year's Mudchute malarky ones on Facebook.  I can't get into it from work but will post up a link when I get home.

Zaba, if you find Tickled Pink in the BB's Kitchen or Runners Arms threads on Clubhouse, she did Loch Ness either last year or the year before so can tell you all about that one.

Pinks, good on you re Budapest.

Rod, from what you've said it could be either that or not enough fuel.  I hit the wall once in training on a 19 mile run and honestly thought a calf muscle had gone pop.  It hadn't, it was just a lack of jelly babies, I was fine the following morning.  Until I experienced it I had no idea how bad it felt, or how convincing a job the brain does of telling you that something muscular is horribly wrong.

Hopefully I've got a deferral to next year Gatton, I'm assuming that guaranteed places for this year can be deferred the same as any others?  I sent the form off in time, anyway

Edited: 04/05/2010 at 17:26
04/05/2010 at 17:44

zaba - I'm afraid Athens is full

Hash - if they gave you a form then they should honour it!

04/05/2010 at 19:07
Hashette wrote (see)

Zaba, if you find Tickled Pink in the BB's Kitchen or Runners Arms threads on Clubhouse, she did Loch Ness either last year or the year before so can tell you all about that one.

Thanks might try and check with her.

Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

zaba - I'm afraid Athens is full

Oh well sounded a bit to hilly, hilly anyways only thought of it because of their jubilee thingy, which might be why they are full anyway

So the ones left are;

Dublin Marathon 25th October

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "flat, flat, flat, flat"

Mallorca Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "would be good family weekend"

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October

Casablanca Marathon 24th October

Do you know anything about them? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.