VLM 2012 first timers???

2,561 to 2,580 of 5,387 messages
09/04/2012 at 14:27
Hello all,
Am I the only one enjoying this tapering malarkey? I'm loving it! I've actually spent time with the kids doing nice things, and been less tired and grumpy.
I did 12 on Sat, and was planning a three tonight but physio this morning said not to, so I will cross train instead I think.
Pippiptypoppity, Siony, Jon, hope you are all resting up.
Speedy, have you printed your tshirt yet? Am I right in thinking that you were going to write come hither messages on it? Hope you don't explode with pent up energy!
09/04/2012 at 14:29
Pip, its not too late to change your name ... remember I used to be Suarez!

Anyone thinking of joining the the runners world Pacers? I'm considering joining the 10 minute mile group but not sure if that is pushing my luck too much, if its a hot day I definitely won't but if it stays cold I think I can just about last that pace!

Emma - not printing a shirt, but what are "come hither messages"?
Edited: 09/04/2012 at 14:31
09/04/2012 at 14:34
Ditto ditto to everything already said - everything from now on is to keep us ticking over, so injury prevention before mileage! Sorry to hear of all the niggles, but there's 2 weeks to recover to be racing-fit.

Pippypop, hahaha
09/04/2012 at 14:39

Speedy  I was thinking about following a 10min mile pacer think that would be a 4 hours 30 finish, that's the paceband I downloaded.  But hey who knows on the day. 

pipppitypoppitypoo

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 14:41
09/04/2012 at 14:54
It will be my first marathon too. Still a little confused by how little or how much I should be doing from now until the big day. I've had knee issues and Physio told me to only worry about LR's - I've got a hilly 9 miles planned tomorrow, 4 miles on Wednesday and I was going to do 8m on Sunday then nothing but a few very light SRs next week. Does that sound like too much? 9 min miles is my comfortable pace.
09/04/2012 at 15:01
How odd that all three of us have groin issues.
Have been good and rested since Friday
Feels much better already

I'm planning on waiting till Friday before doing anything. Rather loose some fitness and finish on the big day. ( wish someone could tell my appetite )

09/04/2012 at 15:10

mr pippitypop is reading the marathon magazine, he has been sorting out the logistics for the day.  Now telling me all about the places I will be running past, and even saying that its going to be a stressfull day being a spectator, what to wear. were to stand etc....... but not quite as stressfull as running it !!  he is making me very,very scared

sioney glad you are on the mend

09/04/2012 at 15:19
thanks for the advice, heres the weather for the big day. Not gonna be hot!!!!!!

Monday 16 April—Sunday 22 April
Low pressure will remain in charge through this week which means showers are once again going to dominate our weather pattern. With very unstable air across the UK these showers are often likely to be heavy and thundery, bringing hail at times and snow across northern hills.
On occasion, these showers will merge, bringing longer spells of rain. The north and east of the country looks likely to see the lion's share of the wet weather at first with the best of any sunny spells in the west. However as the week progresses the showers will become increasingly likely to make their way from east to west.
Temperature-wise we will notice the mercury dropping a little lower than we would normally expect for mid-April and it will often be breezy, making it feel that bit cooler. Overnight frost will still be a possibility from time to time, particularly in the countryside
09/04/2012 at 15:22
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek jon so what are we all going to be wearing then ??
09/04/2012 at 16:04
Hi Jon. AS suggested before, Rest. You have 3 very good long runs in the bank, so job done. In order to make the start line you do not want to worry about doing anything on an injured groin. Give it a week and try it again, slowly !! You are the best judge of this. You may find after 2-3 days it is ok , then fine, I don't know. The doctor will certainly tell you whether it is only mild or not. It sounds a little sore. Just rest and make sure it is right first.
09/04/2012 at 16:07
I'll be wearing the man kini
09/04/2012 at 16:32
you are joking ?????
09/04/2012 at 16:42
yep
09/04/2012 at 18:14
Did Someone say Mankini !!!!!!!!!
09/04/2012 at 18:14
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
09/04/2012 at 18:24
That's two of us, How about Philippa??
09/04/2012 at 18:26
absolutely not !!!!!!!  yukkkkkkkkk
09/04/2012 at 18:42

Pippity-Poppity - Mr Snail and I have just worked out the logistics for him, our 2 daughters, my sister, her hubby and 2 daughters, and my mum, for the day.  It seems to be far more complicated being a spectator, especially when the youngest of the kids is only 2 and my mum can't walk far!  I will of course be sorting them out with a bag containing snacks, jackets etc etc before I toddle off to run the marathon.  I will warn Mr Snail to get them all to avert their eyes if he spots any mankinis ...

The kids are having a sleepover with grandparents so we spend the time sorting out marathon stuff.  Should be off down the pub making the most of not needing a babysitter but the weather is so awful we're not fussed about going out!

09/04/2012 at 19:20

There was a guy wearing a mankini in the Dublin Marathon. Unfortunately  i was behind him for a couple of minutes. I was desperately trying to overtake him but it was about the 22 mile mark and my legs weren't responding very well.

I was relieved when i passed him. Not a pretty sight although he got a lot of attention from the crowd

09/04/2012 at 20:30
Speedy - I had vague memories of having a chat with you a while back about things you could print on your t-shirt to attract some welcome attention from the ladieeeeeees while running, but maybe it wasn't you!!!!!! In which case, sorry and ignore me! You must have thought I was bonkers.

I have spent a very productive day gutting the kids bedrooms. They are half empty and very clean, and the local charity shop is well-stocked.

I have not yet got my name on my top, as my charity still haven't sent me it! I got cross with them last week and drove to the mailing office and collected it myself, but too worried now to send it away. I think I might just cut my name out of felt and sew it on.

Aber, I hope you have wine if leaving the house for the pub isn't an option.

Pippity Poppity, my husband has been working out which pubs en route sell real ale on draught. So his priorities are bang on. And my sisters are moaning that I won't let them go to Spittallfield Market (spelling!) rather than wave and cheer at me.

Homemade pizza for tea, yum.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.