Cregmallin aka Becci
Black & Tabby aka Lucy

Rebecca Chappell aka Becky

Emma- those eggs and picallily (sp) sound yummy

Hannahsmum - how scary nearly being run over, glad you are o.k

Littlebylittle - I'm still having the odd glass or two

Fitnaturally - thanks for all the advise and great recipes

Aber - hope you enjoy your kid free night

I've been away for the Easter weekend, but managed to fit a 13 miler in. I went to see my brother who is in the army, he took me on one of their training routes which included something called heartbreak hill , yeah thanks for that bro this is meant to be tapering !. I also probably pushed it a bit faster than I wanted to, my pacing is all over the place. I ran the whole way but was only a little faster than when I run/walk - so bascially I'mdefo going to run walk which will hopefully stop me over doing it !

I also now have chaffing in very unattractive places - thank goodness for vaseline.

Glad everyone is enjoying their tapering and eeeekkkk - less than 2 weeks to go.

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 20:42
09/04/2012 at 21:04
Speed 10, formally Suarez 7 aka Chris!

Ah Emma that does ring a bell, think some one else suggested the messages and Kiwi, as normal, suggested a mankini ... I wasn't too keen on either suggestion!

In other news I have just double booked myself for the weekend of my chosen September half marathon by agreeing to go to Madrid on a stag do ... so looking for another event to focus on and think I am going to do ... the Chester marathon instead, think I am going a little insane!

Kiwi/Mick - is training for your second marathon much easier than your first?
Edited: 09/04/2012 at 21:08
09/04/2012 at 21:09

I am slightly worried about kiwi's obsession with mankinis

depending how this one goes maybe think about Llanelli marathon next spring ..... watch this space

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 21:11
09/04/2012 at 22:23
Pippity, Speedy - I'm impressed! I am not sure about another marathon, but would like to get faster at half marathons. I'm not sure my kids would let me!
I have signed up for a ridiculous sounding event called Speed of Light which is part of the Edinburgh International Festival in August. Basically it is a piece of peformance running art, where volunteers (i had to pay a tenner) wear light suits and run and and down and across Arthur's Seat (a big hill in Edinburgh, near Holyrood Palace) at night, while a walking audience watches and is entertained by both the runners and proper actory folks. Runners have to run up to 10k in 2 and a half hours. I reckon even I will manage that. I think it sounds so funny, so my pal and I have signed up for the 29th August.
09/04/2012 at 22:34

I'm only after a reaction Philippa and boy did I get one.

Speed-10, It can be. Depends really.If you aim to do your first marathon at about 20 minutes slower than your projected GMP you will dramatically increase your chances of finishing your first one and if you do a second you will do a PB. Food for thought. Also if you make mistakes in your first it is a great chance to rectify them for your second. You will be little more street wise and will know what to expect.

My first marathon was an absolute disaster. Every single thing you could do wrong I did., I ticked every wrong box from training to  tactics and to the actual run on the day, also diet -THE LOT. I managed to muster just enough to jog over the line, it didn't end their either.I am just glad my wife was there ( she is in the medical profession) to stop me form going under completely. I was totally hypoglycaemic and was on my way under, which in rare cases can lead to a coma, think of diabetics. So I have been there done it !!

However , not to be put off, I went through everything I did wrong and rectified it all and ran my second marathon 14 minutes faster.

Don't be put off by what I say. I did everything wrong. You guys have not. You have a much better idea of how to run your first marathon than I ever did. I just wish I knew what I know now. However !! If this did not happen I would not have experienced what can go wrong and may not have made the effort to dramatic try and improve things for my second. So in some funny way I don't have any regrets. Sorry, aboutcthis being long winded , but SPEED, you cancertainly run faster in your second marathon. That is if you want to. You may always just be happy to finish again which is fine. Just an extra thing. If you want to start improving times the training is a little more intensive. Lecture over !!

09/04/2012 at 22:42
Emma- I got a name transfer from eBay. Cost me a quid delivered and I've ironed it on to my fave vest.

Not been on for ages...let's not even go there...bit of a running blackout...raring to go now. Loving annoying everyone. Every time that there London comes on tv I say "I'll be running there in 2 weeks!" Makes me laugh.
09/04/2012 at 22:50
I just ordered some transfer paper from ebay as I wanted a photo of my dad on the back of my top, but there should be enough for my name too, which would be less time comsuming than sewing!
Thanks.
09/04/2012 at 22:58

Hey all

having a bit of an odd evening just feeling I don't know if I can do this, probably because people keep asking me about the THE BIG DAY mr pipity being really organised about the day.  Anyone else feeling like this...hopefully it will not last, I know I have followed my plan, taken lots of advice and hopefully listened to it but keep thinking what if this or that goes wrong and really I should be getting enthusiastic and excited.  Anyone else feeling or felt like that....... I know just say 'pull yourself together '

gloomy pip

09/04/2012 at 23:19
It'll be alright on the night. Do what I did and opt out for a few days...was making me loopy! No forums. No talking about it. No reading about running. No thinking about it. And no running.
Harsh but feel much better all round.
09/04/2012 at 23:22

Just pre race nerves Philippa. Just think, what can go wrong. You run too quickly you'll struggle.If you go into this with a positive mind set you will be fine, as you will anyway. You have done all the right training. Go slow and you will finish. Instead of telling yourself things will go wrong try and say to yourself that nothing should go wrong because you have prepared properly, you will run slowly on the day and you will get round. End of story. Tell yourself that if you want to walk you are allowed to This helps too. There is plenty of water, gels and electrolyte drinks on route. So really everything is stacked heavily in your favour to finish. If you are really worried I will be at the expo with my wife on the Saturday and we can go through any last minute bits and pieces if it will help. I don't want to ram it down your throat, just to help.But I think you should be thinking positively and telling yourself nothing will go wrong. As we have said once you get to the start line the odds of you not finishing are practically nil !! as long as you take it easy.

Remember this. 'Respect the marathon, but don't be in awe of it'. It is not insurmountable and will be beaten!!  Also say to yourself' Millions and millions of people have attempted their first marathon over the years and finished. Why are you any different. YOU'RE NOT !! and many , many of these will have run it much slower than you will. On the day the atmosphere is so electric and it will blow you away so you will find yourself embracing it. It is something that many people will never do. One last thing, tell yourself that when you finish that it will put you in the top 1% of people who have EVER run a marathon ever . That makes you a winner. 

09/04/2012 at 23:32

kiwi

wise words  thankyou

RunningRaRa   you may well be right

pip x

09/04/2012 at 23:41
Thanks kiwi, good stuff.
10/04/2012 at 07:50

After being away for easter, I'm just about to try and catch up (I was going to say 'get up to speed , but I decided not to ) In the meantime, just read this quote on Twitter from a fellow VLM-er

"If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed"

10/04/2012 at 08:11
Hugs to everyone with niggles, especially the 3 with groin strain (so chilly putting ice packs there! Kiwi - thanks for your wise words - felt tears coming as I read them <sniff> I think I'm in complete denial about the 22nd - can't believe it's nearly here! I'm another who likes her routine and the school holidays are really messing me up. That and being away for Easter. Did manage to get out for an 8 mile run on Saturday, but my shin has been sore again since - not agonisingly, but I know it's 'there'. Back on the ice now I'm home!

Must go and look for that thread ...
10/04/2012 at 12:21

Hi all! I've not been on for a week and I'm about 12 pages behind to catch up on!

Hope everyone is enjoying the taper. I had to take 6 days off with a cold, had my first run back on Sunday. Did 12 miles in 1:42:33 which for a long run is quick for me! Ran 9 miles at marathon pace and the final 3 at a faster pace. Was nice to get back out there.

Got some intervals tonight, a track session tomorrow and a 4 mile tempo run on Thursday before the final Sunday run of 8 miles. Then that's it!!!!!!!

I'm a little scared as I havent sorted exactly how I want to carry my gels, the belt I have keeps falling down and I look a right plonker pulling it up all the time, I did check out a bum bag in TK Maxx on Saturday and that might be needed!

How are everyone's last few weeks of training going?

Stay cold/injury free!!!!

James

10/04/2012 at 12:52

James - you have my sympathy for the cold. Hope you're feeling better now - run times sounds like it! Spent easter surrounded by my in-laws, all of whom seem to have / be going down with a lovely cold. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping!

Pip - do change your name! Pippety Pop would be a great forum name

10/04/2012 at 13:32
Hi all,

I'm in denial as well. Sure it will hit home at the expo next Friday though – gulp!

Rebecca Chappell, my pacing is all over the place too, so don't worry. I'm going to try to run as far as I can at an 11min/mile pace with the pacer, but think I'll end up run/walking.

Where have people been finding their light blue ribbons? I forgot to look for them this weekend, so hopefully won't need to panic-order them last minute.

Little by little (aka Tina)
10/04/2012 at 13:51

little by little

bought my ribbon from a little tardisof a shop that sells fabric/wool etc bargain price about 26p per metre bought more today wider stuff to put round my waist

B&T don't know how to change it

10/04/2012 at 15:29
Pip - On the top right of the pafe, you need to go to 'My profile' (Under your forum name & next to your picture). Then choose 'My Details' and I think it in there That's your challenge for the day!
10/04/2012 at 15:56

Hey peeps I too am feeling a bit deflated been really struggling in training even though the mileage is going down pace is all over one day I feel good and pace is ok ( still not up to my best due to stupid leg) and then the next time its soooo slow its untrue. Think I have to get over pace and just concentrate on finishing the dam thing but really nervous about it and had a few I dont think I can do this momnets.

And to cap it all off spent two hours in a ane e yesterday, me and a hand blender had an argument so I now have a fetching banadage on my index finger !!!!At least it wasnt my toes !! Might take the pain away from the leg though . Off for 3 cheeky miles now then physio on Thursday Fingers crossed ( or not so crossed in my case ).

You might have to drag me round by my blue ribbon !!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.