VLM 2012 first timers???

2,601 to 2,620 of 5,385 messages
10/04/2012 at 17:18
Bad luck Badoo, ouch.
Every time I see London on the news or tv or anything, I feel sick!
Little by little, I have a ton of ribbon, just from Hobbycraft. I'm expo- ing on Friday too so tell me if you are stuck.
B&T, have you found the thread about top tips for first timers? Did you read the argument? What did you think?
James, good run, speedy!
Pippiptypoppity, my auto spell on my iPad now recognises your name, so think it will stick now, with me anyway!
10/04/2012 at 17:43
what thread where do I find it  ??
10/04/2012 at 17:53
It was mentioned a few pages back, in Spring marathons, it's called What is the one thing you'd known before your first marathon.
There was a guy on this time last year, just a couple of pages before the end, who was a right arrogant fool. Quite funny to read.
10/04/2012 at 17:56

I loved those top tips and keep chuckling about falling asleep on the toilet afterwards!  And it is worth reading for the argument!

Emma - of course I had a glass of wine last night.  After doing our marathon spectator plan, we watched a film - 127 Hours.  Not exactly relaxing, but a good film.  How did the home made Easter eggs go down?  Sorry if you've already said and I missed it!

The last time I had butterflies like this was in the lead up to my wedding ...  Went for a run this morning - 50 minutes and it felt so short.  My legs are still a bit tired but that's why we taper, so not worrying about that.  I have plenty of other things to worry about!

10/04/2012 at 18:16
Aber, the Easter eggs were a hit, especially as they had fluffy bunnies inside. But think they are sick of chocolate now so I keep eating them! 127 hours was great, I thought. I am off to the gym for some cross trainer action as my knee hurts. haven't done anything since Sat so need to get moving.
Enjoy your eve.
10/04/2012 at 19:29
Hi everyone! Just wanted to post to say thanks for the tips! I took the sage advice of kiwi and ran 13 miles on friday! My legs feel nice and rested now so I'll continue with the taper as you suggest! Now going overboard on veg in an attempt to avoid illness!

My confidence boosting tip for the day came from typing my most recent half marathon time in the race time predictor, thoroughly recommend doing that!

I want to sit down and read all the literature but everytime I do I get so nervous I have to resist the urge to go for a run!
10/04/2012 at 19:43

I just did this predictor thing and apparently i could run the marathon in 3hrs 44 mins!

Only if i take a taxi

10/04/2012 at 19:48

I do so hope everything is ok with everyone

enjoy the count down and preperation, it'll be something to remember for ever

10/04/2012 at 19:54

Speed 10

wrote yesterday 21.04 post

Kiwi/Mick - is training for your second marathon much easier than your first?

ok, for me,

i never took alot of notice except of the fact of again conquering the distance, as id been running all my life from a boy, running / walking  etc, roads, trails, accross fields, muddy farm tracks - beach coastal paths , sand, dry and wet, running in up to a foot of water etc - it was all a part of growing up  

was just part of my life  

i do sincerely hope it also becomes part of all your lives and you all enjoy it all

10/04/2012 at 20:34
Quite a boost I think Steve! Let's trust in the predictor!
10/04/2012 at 20:45

Really well put Mick'n'Phil. It does get a little addictive. I know a number of people who after there first have signed up for a second within days !!

Just tucking into a plate of chicken korma cooked by my daughter. It's brill !!!  I hope you are all envious !!!! 

10/04/2012 at 20:47
I used the race predictor to calculate my training pace but daren't go for that predicted time as, despite having based all my training around that time, I would be risking not making it round ...
10/04/2012 at 20:57

to say

yes i suffered blisters and stuff like anyone else, and had to battle ith some of it, but because it was a way of life, either bike, walk or run, one rarely gave in

to chase my Jack Russell for hours along  country lanes and  acroos fields, sometimes we chased the football, but what i'm saying is it all ead to body fitness and conditioning

it was just the norm,

10/04/2012 at 21:25
Race predictor reckons 4:41...I'll eat my running shoes if I'm anywhere near that!
10/04/2012 at 21:29
Whilst it may be on the optimistic side, I do think it makes it all feel much more doable!
10/04/2012 at 21:29

RRR

heres hoping u do 4:41 or less

10/04/2012 at 22:19
Hey everyone,

Not been on here for a while. Had a great last long run last week but since then beens struggling with yet another cold (seem to be constant lately). Took a break over the weekend as needed it, feeling a lot better now then.

Think I'm still in denial about this whole thing can't believe it's less than 2 weeks now eeeek seem to bounce between excitement and terror. My latest panic is about the weather on the day but can't change that

Have tried an failed to catch up with everything but not had the time so have had to speed read. Will try to have a proper read tomorrow. Hope everyone's taper is going well and those with niggles are starting to disappear!!

kiwi, mick and fitnaturally thanks again for the invaluable advice 

Whoever mentioned the I wish I had known thread thanks great reading 

Badoo -ouch hope your ok, not what you need right now

Little by little - my lsr's have been around the same time as yours would have loved sub 5 but it may be just beyond me. Going to see if I can find the 11min/miles pacer and stick with them.

Running RaRa - no what you mean about a break, few days away from all things running has done me the world of good

Aber/pip- yeah  don't envy the spectators, think they have their work cut out for them if they want to see us in more than one place, for once has made me glad I'm the one running it!

Speed (going back about 20 pages) - did you get any tips re tracking people? Long shot but have been told that find my iPhone is supposed to work ok, but does require you and people watching to have iPhones.

Emma (again going back a long way) I will be at the expo early mid afternoon Friday afternoon if you and emsi are still around then would be good to say hi. (and the homemade Easter eggs sounded amazing -too much to catch up on)

Pip - love the name change 

LMC aka nia 

Ps I just checked the race time predictor it said 4hrs 33mins........er yeah no chance!!!!!
10/04/2012 at 22:47
Evening all! Emma - loved the thread, but what an idiot that guy was! Hate it when thread is hijacked like that.

Badoo - ow! Hope your finger(s) feel better soon.

Pip - well done on the name change much better!

Glad I'm not the only one in denial. Bought a new book on my Kindle today which apparently is great for the 'mental' side of a marathon. Too late to worry about physical side of things! Need to decide on my last few runs and hopefully will feel more settled.
11/04/2012 at 00:12
Hello,
Aaargh, another late night. Not so good at getting 8 hours kip a night at the moment. We are going to Killin for a few days tomorrow and loads to do first.
Little miss C, I can't figure out how to message you, no option at the bottom of your post, as others have. Can you message me and I'll reply with my mob no so I can find you at expo?
Where is this race predictor?
Xx
11/04/2012 at 00:16
Found it! 5.12 apparently, which is fine by me!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.