VLM 2012 first timers???

21 to 40 of 5,385 messages
17/10/2011 at 12:38

TST - how about this one?

http://www.turkishemporium.co.uk/full-belly-dance-costume-p-401.html

Although, I fear it may chafe!

But you'd be quite easy to spot!

17/10/2011 at 12:47

I will be a first time marathon runner to in London.  Quite excited but scary nervous.

I live in Leeds too so if you still want a training buddy Rachel?  I should warn you I am not overly fast though! 

17/10/2011 at 13:05

Ooo, I love that Len!  Although probably not very practical as I suspect that the dangly coin bits would bash on your legs and be a bit noisy, and I suspect there would not enough support for my boobs!     I can't find the wild west saloon girl one I was looking at the other day, but I'll post a picture when I find it again

Hello Clairebear, welcome to the gang!

17/10/2011 at 14:16

Hi to all the first timers.  So you’re looking for advice?

Let me suggest that because most of you have never run near the distance before you have absolutely no idea how long it is going to take you, for most runners it’s harder than they imagine.

Once you start training you’ll find out if the estimated finish time you put on your application form is achievable.

Closer to the day you’ll be given additional info showing which pen you’ll start from on race day.  If you were wildly under estimating how long it would take then start from a pen further back.  You can do that, what you can’t do is move forward.

This will then prevent you from being a hindrance to faster runners and also stop you from being ‘swept’ along and starting the race too fast.

Bearing in mind that I ran London this year in a fairly good time and passed people in the first few miles who were walking.  These are the kind of people who moan when you have to push past, please don’t put yourself in that situation, it doesn’t do anyone any good.

17/10/2011 at 14:21

Now for some other advice, in no particular order;

1.         The single most important piece of kit you can buy is running shoes.

a.         Research the different types of shoes available ie. Cushioning, Motion control and Stability shoes; this website has a wealth of information.

b.         Find a shop locally who can give you an assessment of your gait and give you a recommendation of which type of shoe best suits you.

c..        Buy a decent pair of running shoes.

2.         Suffer from blisters on long runs?  Apply lots of Vaseline to your toes and inside your socks before setting off, squishy but works a treat, 26.2 miles and no blisters!

3.         Do not rip the skin off blisters, instead take a sterilised needle pierce the blister from one side to the other (taking care not to go into flesh), and sew a 1 inch piece of thread into the blister   and leave it there.  Keep your shoes and socks off as much as possible, the skin will harden and form a protective barrier over the area.  23 years as a soldier I KNOW this is the best method.

4.         Train to eat and drink on the run.  I like to eat jelly babies, they’re cheaper than buying loads of gels.

5.         Porridge, honey and mashed banana, the best breakfast you can get!

6.         Stay safe!  Let someone know where you will run, how long and what to do if you’re not back.

17/10/2011 at 14:22

7.         Don’t feel safe running in your area?  Carry a whistle to attract attention and help; a torch flashed in the face of an attacker gives you vital seconds.  Stay safe!

8.         Stay safe!  When running in the dark take care with cars, a small torch shone onto yourself will reflect from all those sparkly bits on jackets, running tights and shoes and you’ll be seen for miles (the alternative is to wait until car lights fall on you, which can be a bit late).

9.         Watch out for fruit juices, anything that says it’s a juice drink will have added sugar or sweeteners, these are best stayed away from.

10.       Buy a heart rate monitor and train to heart rates, more on that on this site.

11.       If you’re hoping to ‘just get round’ don’t worry too much about mileage, obviously you need to get close to some of the distances in your schedule but time on your feet running is probably more important.

12        Acclimatise!  If the weather is warm/hot in the weeks leading up to the marathon make sure that your long run is done in the heat of the day.  On race day you could be out there until 3 in the afternoon, or longer, get yourself used to the conditions.

13.       If this is your first running experience then get a medical check up before you start, especially if you’re older or carry a little excess in weight.

14.       Above all??  Enjoy your running!!

17/10/2011 at 14:54

Thanks also ran for the tips !!

Clairebear77 wrote (see)

I will be a first time marathon runner to in London.  Quite excited but scary nervous.

I live in Leeds too so if you still want a training buddy Rachel?  I should warn you I am not overly fast though! 

Clairebear where abouts in Leeds do you live?

Len I tried best western they were all gone apart from one that was really out the way at 146 a night we need two rooms and are travelling down on the train from Leeds so didnt wanna pay as much as that . Yeah I know sheffield , I went to uni there for 3 years !!!!

17/10/2011 at 15:00

Great tips, also ran! I'm not a jelly baby fan, but I reckon this is a great excuse to stock up on Jelly Beans! Mmmm.... and it will give my brain something to do, working out the flavours lol.

LOL Rachel - so did I (go to Sheffield Uni) although it was a LONG time ago now, and I ended up staying here!

B*gger about the hotel room though - I guess you just need to keep trying? There must be some cancellations when people realise they can't make it...or something? Or advertise on Facebook or similar for friends with spare beds! 

Welcome Claire

TST, I really need to see the Wild West costume!!

17/10/2011 at 15:04
also ran wrote (see)

3.         Do not rip the skin off blisters, instead take a sterilised needle pierce the blister from one side to the other (taking care not to go into flesh), and sew a 1 inch piece of thread into the blister   and leave it there.  Keep your shoes and socks off as much as possible, the skin will harden and form a protective barrier over the area.  23 years as a soldier I KNOW this is the best method.

Why would you sew cotton into a blister?! 

Len 2 wrote (see)

TST, I really need to see the Wild West costume!!

I will have another look later Len and see if I can remember what site it's on.  Knew I should have book marked it when I found it!!

Edited: 17/10/2011 at 15:05
17/10/2011 at 15:12

The flesh under a blister tends to be very tender.The idea of the thread is to draw out the fluid that would normally build up and allow it to dry out as quickly as possible.  Once the skin toughens up you can remove the thread and still bang out 3 hour runs with out too much pain.

17/10/2011 at 15:14
If you ever check out the Marathon Des Sables and see what the docs do to blisters (they cut off all the skin around it) this helps stop infections, but by heck it's painful.
18/10/2011 at 09:04

Len -

I graduated Sheffield hallam in 2003 and then stayed around for about a year before coming to Leeds. When did you finish uni ? Hallam or Uni ??

18/10/2011 at 11:28
OMG Rachel you're making me feel old lol! I graduated (Uni) in 1997 .... my child is the same age as your degree lol!
18/10/2011 at 11:50
You're both making me feel old   Unless of course Len didn't bother going to uni unitl he was 30 or something!
18/10/2011 at 11:58

Oi! I'm a girl!!

Admittedly, Len is a boy's name, so you're forgiven . I'll also answer to Lennie

x

18/10/2011 at 12:07

Sorry Len!!   Easy done on forums, someone once thought I was a bloke!  

You're still making me feel old though!!

18/10/2011 at 12:16

TST it's got nothing to do with age...that 100 year old guy who ran the marathon is in MUCH better shape than I am!

18/10/2011 at 12:26

Yeah, he's amazing isn't he!  Think I'm just feeling old and past it today  

Need to start drawing up some sort of training plan and get myself inspired again I think.   Anyone else started forming a vague plan of action yet?

18/10/2011 at 12:54

I live in Chapel Allerton, how about you? 

I saw on that 100 year old marathon runner on the news last night, and they said they'd done some medical tests on him and then gave the tests to 4 doctors who didn't know anything about him and asked them how old they thought he was based on the tests and the doctors said 40!!! Amazing. 

18/10/2011 at 13:11
I'm a first timer too. The thing that scares me the most is the chaffing.
21 to 40 of 5,385 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.