VLM 2012 first timers???

381 to 400 of 5,367 messages
07/01/2012 at 21:33

evening you lovley people hope you are all well

well i managed 14.5 miles today, got to 13.5 and had to walk run the last half, so it seems im back up to pre xmas illness distance, am a lot slower though 11.30 min a mile but will stick at this pace as i am sure as runs get longer the faster i will get,  left calf is doing well and right hip is holding up, but i did take nurofen melts while out running and have been taking ibuprofen since returning,

i have started to play around with pre run food and gels while running, had a bowl of pasta for last night dinner and porridge for breakfast and this seemed to doing the job, tried a gel while running and didn't get a sickly taste so it went down ok,  and once i got home i downed a goodness milk shake which gave back the energy within minutes you can feel the body come back to life, highly recommened as its full of all the nutrients you loose when running

Pip good luck for your run tomorrow, hope it goes well for you,

07/01/2012 at 22:19
hi all,i managed to get a 15 miler in the bank last weekend and a 10 miler in 8min 18sec average pace today, This is my first marathon but really wanna go sub 4 hour, am i mental????
Edited: 07/01/2012 at 22:21
07/01/2012 at 23:07

Hi

sarnie, hope your calf and hip stays ok...... def going to try the glass of milk. You and Jon both seem to be way ahead of me with your mileage...... well done I am sure you will both do brilliantly come the Big DayJon I dont think you are mental just very brave !! 

looking forward to my run tomorrow at least the weather seems to have settled down ..... thank goodness ! 

Pip

08/01/2012 at 11:10
i'm injured.........
going to see physio this week. my calf twinge has got really bad and can't run today, think i over did it. now panicing that i've torn a muscle and goging to be out for weeks. heres hoping i'm exaggerating and it's just a knot or something minor. walking hurts now though.

whooops.

hope you all upright and running well!
08/01/2012 at 12:07
@Kaffeeg - fingers crossed that it's something minor. Listen to the physio!
08/01/2012 at 12:19
Hope you are exaggerating Kaffeeg and that everything is ok soon!!!

Phillipa - I'm doing a modified novice 2 and have just mapped out my long run for next Saturday (14 miles) which seems massive and is in fact a figure of 8 that covers the majority of two routes combined that I have used in the past for (shorter)long runs!!!

Well done to those of you that have put some big numbers in this week, I'll use it as inspiration for what will be my first ever run over HM distance!!!
08/01/2012 at 17:06
Kaffeeg- I was training for the Brighton marathon last year, developed shin splints, so I went to the physio. She told me to stop running for a bit. I ignored her and didn't make it to the start line. Listen to your physio. If she say, ease up on the running, try cycling as this will keep your fitness up.
08/01/2012 at 18:11
oh no Kafeeg! I have a calf niggle too, going to do a lot of massage and stuff for a few days, see if that helps!
08/01/2012 at 18:20
complete failure this week - either too dark too tired or too lazy. I did at least join a gym so
had a small run Friday but really was rubbish - ankle played up as well .
Up early tomorrow to see if running at gym before work works better than after!
08/01/2012 at 19:37

Kaffeeg - fingers crossed its something minor / easily sorted out! As the other have said, I'll add my own nag - listen to what they say and DO IT! Better to make it to the start line slightly under trained, than not reach it at all!

Sarnie - good to be experimenting with food / nutrition. I've tried gels before on half marathons, but just can't stomach them. I need to stock up on Shot Bloks - like eating cube of jelly, but all natural, veggie and yummy have never tried For Goodness Shakes, but have heard good things about them. I usually have a big mug of hot chocolate when I get back from a run, which I always tell myself must be pretty similar??!!

Jon - mad? I can't say, but if you're following a good schedule and listening to your body, who's to say what you can and can't do! Good luck!

Phillipa - hope your run went well today!

Suarez - yes, my first 14 miler will be my longest ever run. Mine isn't scheduled until week 8 though, so a bit longer to wait for me.

Len - fingers crossed you can sort your niggle out.

cregmallin - hope you feel better for your resting week - hoe the gym works out for you.

Been swimming with the kids today. Well I've been bobbng up & down whilst they've been leaping about and going down water slides etc. Hopwefully that still counts as cross training??? Certainly my legs feel better and the stiffness from Friday has gone now.

08/01/2012 at 20:59

Hi

Kaffeeg oh no! hope all goes well with the physio, but as everyone else is saying, DO AS HE/SHE SAYS, stay positive I am sure all will be well   same applies to you Len

Black and Tabby  run went really well did just over nine today, got wet again !!

Suarez  I am just adding a little bit on to the novice 1 long runs, spending my waking hours thinking how I can add bits on to my run to make them longer ...... not looking forward to figure out where the heck I am going to run for 20miles !!!!!  

pip

08/01/2012 at 21:18
Kaffeeg - If you need physio I hope it's nothing major. I've been out with a muscle sprain in the back of my knee and am only being allowed to run this Thursday after being out for a month! Sort of made peace with spending my time on the bike. Do keep us updated as to what is diagnosed.

Philippa where are you situated? Gade Valley Harriers do a pretty good 20miler (there's masses of cake and warm tea afterwards- heaven!)http://www.gadevalleyharriers.co.uk/marathontrainingruns.html they have RW reviews about them too I did the 17 miler last year and loved it, despite the freezing cold!

Black and Tabby- Hello! Have a go at the for goodness shakes range, I have to ration myself to having them only after long runs, though hot chocolate is something I've never thought of trying before...additionally, what are the shot bloks like? I have trouble with gels on the whole so am looking to try something else out in training and wondering what the general stance is?

Nic
08/01/2012 at 21:24
Hi everyone. Not been on here for ages but thought I'd update where I'm up to training wise. Long run of 11miles today with a couple of killer climbs for good measure. Knew about the 1 at 6.5 but the long steep 1 surprised me at 9 miles! Should have taken the fact that I was finishing at a reservoir as a clue?

Anyway after 2 weeks of 17miles, this week 22 the old knees are a bit achy. On the one hand a easy week may be preferable on the other I have no kids or husband next Sunday so we'll play it by ear...
08/01/2012 at 21:33

Hi

Nicola I am in south wales, but must admit sounds brilliant just looked at the web site especially like the thought of tea and  cakes mmmmm yum.  What are goodness shakes ? still thinking about jelly beans etc I am vegetarian so some of these things prob contain gelatin.  Going to google it.  Blimey well done runningRaRa !

pip

08/01/2012 at 22:16

Philippa & Nicole - these are the Shot Bloks on eBay only £2.20 for a pack so worth a try. I've tried various gels and all of them have upset my digestive system in different ways (NOT what you want on a long run!) Shot Bloks are like cubes of jelly, all nice natural stuff, no gelatine (I'm veggie too!), no artificial sweeteners and as well as cards they've got electrolytes tp top up the ssalt you've lost.

No - I don't work for them BTW!!! Just pleased to have found something that works for me!

RunningRaRa - good run!

08/01/2012 at 22:31

Pip

goodness shakes are milk shakes that replace all nutrients and minerials you loose when you do long runs, i stumbled across them at my local tesco but sadly they stopped selling them so i buy them online, i've tried so many different recovery drinks/food but these work so fast to the point that when i get home from a long run and have no energy i drink one and within 10 mins i feel much better

08/01/2012 at 22:33
Ooooh thanks for the link Black and Tabby! Ordered a few so will see how I go. (haha good to include your disclaimer of working for them!) but it's great when you find something that works so well, hopefully I'll have the same results.

RunningRaRa- Hello, and hope the knees ease up on the complaining! Am not a fan of hills that are surprises either!

Philippa- Wales! I'm doing Llanelli half and possibly Race the Train later on in the year. Was worth a try with mentioning the Harriers! I'm in London so it's a bit of a drive but I love getting away to run in different places. Goodness shakes are recovery drinks, that taste like milkshake in various different flavours. Rather addictive. I like to use them as my little reward for putting in a quality long run! Found a link, and RW has done reviews of them: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/nutrition/recovery-products/for-goodness-shakes-milkshake/51443.html
09/01/2012 at 08:23

My calf is hurty . Like, really hurty. Bugger.

I'm telling myself that this is why I gave myself 18 weeks to do a 16 week training plan, and I'll rest it for a bit, take brufen, massage it, be generally nice to it. Sigh. 

x

09/01/2012 at 09:58

thanks all! really appreciate the support.

got physio today at 12. 30pm.  I keep wanting to cry......This is MY LIFE TIMES AMBITION to do this marathon.  I simply got to do it.  I hope I am just a a big drama queen.

Len2 - noooooooooooooooooooooo.  I hope you are ok.  That is exactly what I am telling myself too - it is exactly for this reason we have all been sensible and started our training early - so we're fine fine fine.  Have you tried the RICE things? (rest, ice, compression, elavation?).  Although from all the things I've looked up on the internet (by the way; don't research on the internet unless you want to scare yourself witless) some places say not to compress as it may cause more problems - just depends what you have.

((hugs)))

09/01/2012 at 12:43

Thanks kaffeeg. I haven't done any RICE yet, done lots of gentle stretching and for some sick reason I seem to have to take my daughter roller skating tonight....so I will start the ice and rest when I get back from that, and see how it goes. I refuse to panic yet. Maybe at the end of the week if it's not feeling any better!

Update us on the physio appointment!!

Edited: 09/01/2012 at 12:43
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.