VLM 2012 first timers???

4,681 to 4,700 of 5,404 messages
17/10/2012 at 19:47

Good advice B and T. Run when pain free !!!!!

17/10/2012 at 21:05

really, really fed up now !!!!

17/10/2012 at 21:14

Hi PIp. Chin up. Plenty of time until London. Just  get right first

21/10/2012 at 20:35

Hi Kiwi

how did Amsterdam go ??

22/10/2012 at 11:54

Hi people!  Sorry to hear about your knee Pip, mine plagued me from May to August but I used the time to stregthen myself in the gym and concentrate on shifting excess timber (though if I remember correctly you are tiny already?).

Cross trainer seemed to be good as low impact on knee, loads of stretching, squats to stregthen glutes etc etc seemed to do the trick for me.  Sadly I'm addicted to the gym now and infrequently get out on the road (well the combination of sauna/jacuzzi afterwards, a gym with sky sports on and a fair share of lycra clad women is pretty appealing!).

I did 10k on thetreadmill today in new pb of 46 minutes, not sure how that would equate to the road but guess road would be a little slower.  Out of interest I put that in Mcmillan and it would have me doing a marathon in an hour quicker than I managed London ... the wonder of shedding 2 stone eh!!!

22/10/2012 at 13:51

Speedy   I am a bit naughty about doing strengthening exercices   so will have to dust off the Wii and do some exercises on that.  I don't belong to a gym, so can't really comment on your addiction to them. hmmmmm not even the thought of lycra clad men [  ] could encourage me to join oops can't believe I said that  and as for  jacuzzis oooo nooooo.....   Waiting now for Kiwi to mention the word mankini !!   getting very bored now though

22/10/2012 at 14:01

Pip - hugs. How's your knee feeling now? Or are you still resting up?

Out for my 'long' run today of 7 miles. Felt horrible - not looking forward to the dreaded marathon training in January.....

23/10/2012 at 14:43
Heeelllllllllloooooooooooo!
Pip - noooooooooooooooooooo. sucks about your knees. Go see a Physio, they really might help with getting you better. D you know exactly what it is?

How is everyone else?

Holidays were fab. Sooooooo hot. And now I'm back to London fog and cold. also, more i portably, a lot of my work has been cancelled and I find myself in quite a sticky situation with only a few days work here and there for the next couple of months (not thinking beyond that at the moment!). So, I've got no excuse not to go running as plenty of time on my hands! Fingers crossed work picks up. I'm very panicky about it.
23/10/2012 at 20:23
Kaffeeg! You're back! You survived! Not good with the work situation - is there anything you can do about it?? Fingers crossed it improves for you.

Pip how's the knee? Or shouldn't I ask?

Had a horrible run yesterday, all achy and grumbling and complaining. Might enter. 10k on Sunday, but it's the day after my wedding anniversary so won't be my brightest .....
23/10/2012 at 21:24

hi peeps welcome back kafeeeeeeeeeeeeeg glad you had a brilliant time and I am sure your work stuff will be fine ..... trust me

feeling slightly less miserable now but still very,very bored not run for about 2 weeks but hopefully knee is feeling better...fingers and toes crossed

B & T congratulations on your wedding anniversary

waves and grins madly at everyone

24/10/2012 at 13:38

Have my fingers & toes crossed for you Pip. Hmm - is this a cunning plan to make sure no one else runs either??

Set off for an hour's Mp run, set off too fast (doh!) took a route through a field which turned out to be full of frisky bullocks. Took a long cut through a different field to avoid them and ended up wading through ankle deep mud and along a footpath that had turned into a stream. Very adventurous!

Hope everyone's okay - was only thinking of 'jazzhands' the other day!

24/10/2012 at 15:21

hey B&T sounds like my sort of run....bet you have pongy running shoes now ??

apparently there is a group called Jazzhands.... we missed out there should have patented [ if that's what you do] the name........doh !!!!

still got my blue ribbons attached to my bag ......

24/10/2012 at 17:40
I still find bits of blue ribbon too!

B&T - a very eventful run then! I have ordered new running shoes. Still so muddy I should have thought of trail shoes.

Went to Dr about my knee in Sept. Referred for physio but told 4 month wait. So asked running instructor at gym if he could recommend someone. Went this afternoon. Ouch! Had my it band and quads massaged. Hurt more than the injury!

Kaffeeg - I used to work for myself and always the worry of whether work will dry up. It is worrying but make the most of the free time. Before you know it you''ll have too much on!
25/10/2012 at 08:09
Pip - fortunately the stream came after the mud so most of the muck was washed off before I got home. The last half mile though they were making strange Squelching noises!

Aber ow ow ow on your behalf! Do you have a foam roller? You can do it to yourself then! Yay to the new shoes

Children now on half term here, so difficult to escape to run for the next week and a bit. Dropped daughter off at school at 7.25 this morning as she's off on a trip to Alton Towers. My idea of hell but she was very excited about it!
25/10/2012 at 08:17
Oooh just remembered! There's a competition over at women's running to become part of their 26.2 project. Each year they coach/train/follow a number of women as they prepare for and run a marathon. Have a look at www.womensrunninguk.co.uk/project26.2 Hope it's not too naughty to post a link to another running mag here? If I disappear without trace you'll know I've. Even excommunicated.

Now who could that be, at the door, at this time of day...
25/10/2012 at 12:27

Don't forget the Runner's World Target 26.2 project everyone. Selection day is November 30th. Looking forward to helping 3 of the winning runners to achieve their goals.

I have a few spaces left on my Master the Marathon Workshop in Eastbourne on November 3rd, too, if you're in/near the area. Details at www.sam-murphy.co.uk/coaching

Good luck with your training, all

25/10/2012 at 16:16

Oh yes SamMurphyRuns - I had forgotten about that - just entered now, thak you very much!

28/10/2012 at 21:14

Just for you Pip !!!! MANKINI !!!!!.

Amsterdam went ok. I ran 2.48. There was a strong cross and head wind the other side of the canal after the half way point. Unfortunately we also got off to a slow start. I was lucky enough to get into the yellow zone starting pen just behind the elites. But alot of runners put down times that were far quicker than they were capable of running so there was a lot of congestion, and some of them were slow, and I mean just plodding along, so the 5k and 10k splits were slow for me. It is a bit naughty as they only do this to get into a decent starting zone and it scuppers things for the more serious runners. Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes, but it is true. I became friendly with 2 identical twin runners on our tour who totally agreed, one ran 2.58 and the other ran 3.06, funnily we were the 3 oldest ( all the wrong side of 45, even 46 !! and were the fastest of our group. There is still plenty more in the tank. Still more than happy though considering. Anyway, enough of my BS, how is the knee Pip. I am interested in how it came about. I believe you can practically outwit many injuries by having a zero tolerance policy and using a few other tricks of the trade. Apart form a mild plantar fasciitis which has now completely gone ( just by doing the right things) I have been lucky enough to be injury free after 19 competitive  marathons. I hope it is ok for you.Plenty of time until London. Run again when you are pain free, and don't panic !!!!!!!!!!!

28/10/2012 at 21:52

Hi Kiwi

I shall ignore the first comment

my knee is ok, think I did it when I stupidly jumped off a field gate. It was painful when I extended it.  It only seems to bother me when I think about it now.  So have completely rested it.  Ordered new running shoes so getting quite excited. Think a lot of my knee problem is probably general wear and tear [ not exactly in my twenties or thirties now] but I am not one just to sit around, I will run for as long as I can .... I am also very stubborn !

well done on your marathon, brilliant time.... I can but dream of times like that

x

Edited: 28/10/2012 at 21:53
28/10/2012 at 23:27

Pip - good news about your knee

Kiwi - great marathon! Not sour grapes at all - I had the same problem (admittedly much slower) at the Bristol half. Constantly weaving, never finding anyone running at the same pace as me to trot along with, photos of me near the finish line show me with a runner who actually ran 10 mins slower i.e. he crossed the start line 10 mins before me Ah well - its all a learning curve!

Watched the Snowdon marathon highlights tonight - wow! Now that's what I'd call a tough marathon, but stunning scenery!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.