VLM 2012 first timers???

4,721 to 4,740 of 5,374 messages
08/11/2012 at 17:38

Hi Kiwi would love to improve my time though hopefully if I stay injury free I should be able to get around in under four and a half hours !! that's what I was aiming for this year then it sort of went pear-shaped on the day with my knee grrrrrrrrrrr!! 

08/11/2012 at 21:00

Hi again Pip. I have forgotten what time you did. If you ran with an injury you will probably improve anyway. You could work on your speed by doing reps on the track or some tempo runs and what have you. It is up to you, but as you have already run a marathon you can now look at improving. I am here if you need any advice etc.

09/11/2012 at 14:03
I am feeling left out! Need to enter a spring marathon so I can join in!
09/11/2012 at 18:47

Go for it Aber Snail. Loads about !!

09/11/2012 at 20:24
Go on, go on, go on, go on (etc!)
09/11/2012 at 20:25

Hey Kiwi....... haven't got a track near me ummmm what are reps [ sorry to be a numpty] and can I do them in the lanes I run round.  Believe me I shall be shouting  KIWI !!!!!! lots and lots   oh and  my time was 5hrs 10 mins 37 secs and that including stopping for the physio to attempt to strap up my knee ... badly I may add so I recon running/hobbling time was just under 5 hours

Abersnail what about Llanelli Marathon ??

09/11/2012 at 21:05

Llanelli is 2 laps which puts me off, although I guess that means supporters can see you more often!  I'm thinking of Manchester - very flat!

10/11/2012 at 11:17

im thinking of manchester too aber

although im struggling with my achilles still- doesnt seem to want to settle-apparently chucking money at physio/ shoes/ orthotics does not seem to make it get bette any quicker!

ho hum- back to hanging off stairs

10/11/2012 at 12:40
First timer too! Found out last week I've got a charity place with Headway. Excited and terrified! I'll be following the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan from mid December. Got two halves booked - Brighton and Paris.
13/11/2012 at 22:18

Hi Pip. Considering what happened last time you will certainly do a  PB. Just aim to get round in 4.30 - 5 hours. Then you will have done a PB.

Reps are circuits on the track. EG 4x800 metres at 5k pace, or 3x1600 metes at 10k pace, so on and so forth. You can do faster stuff on the road. A good idea is to do tempo runs of about 40 mins on the road. 10 minutes slow, 10 minutes gradually!!!!!!! speeding up, 10 minutes at 10k pace then 20 minutes slow. A good tempo run. Or run for 40 minutes 5 minutes slow/steady/ 5 minutes at between 5-10k pace 5 minutes slow/ steady / 5 mins at 5-10k pace for 40 minutes. Great as a stimuli and takes you away from just continous long runs at the one pace. Be prepared to run outside your comfort zone at times. These are all good for speed work and will improve speed even over very long distances. IE you will run your marathon at a faster pace. But don't over do it. Don't run any more than 5 days a week.  If you have to do 6 days on the odd occasion , ok ! but have recovery time or you WILL !!!!!! get injured and create other problems ( over training syndrome etc.) Hope this is ok for starters !!! 

14/11/2012 at 10:09

I got a place in the VLM ballot but I can't remember giving an estimate of how long I'd take.

Would I have had to give an estimate when applying for a place or do you do that later?

If I have had to give an estimate, how can I change it?

14/11/2012 at 20:05

Hi Ziggy. I don't think you need to worry about estimate times. Unless I am mistaken you have a ballot place and it is as simple as that. You're in !!

14/11/2012 at 21:04

Hi Ziggythespider, welcome to our gang   I have got in through the ballot 2nd year in a row eeeeeeeeeeeek !!!  but you will have loads of support and advice here. 

15/11/2012 at 09:02
Hello all! And hello new people and congrats for getting a place!

I'm due to do a half this weekend BUT I'm in the beginning stages of injury I think. Stopped my run short today as my calfs are just so tight and my shins are getting stiff. BORING. Going to RICE today and tomorrow and fingers crossed it'll be fine for sat. Really want another PB.
16/11/2012 at 05:45

Good move Kaffeeg. Even if you have to forfeit your half because you are not right, you will gain in the long term by having a zero tolerance policy to injuries and niggles.

Best to have time off because you choose to rather than 6 months off because you have to !!!!!!!!!!!

16/11/2012 at 16:25

Helllloooooooooooo everybody *waves madly* - remember me Old Sick Note.

Well I've seen 3 different physio's, and I'm finally back out running, very slowly and very short runs. Not even considering doing a marathon next year.

Kaffeeg - Really hope you injury doesn't develop further (bloody injuries).

Hello to everyone else, good luck with any up coming races and hope you are all doing well x

16/11/2012 at 16:30

Pip - just read back and caught up with your knee, so to speak.

My problem was biomechanical, I've spent months strengthening, stretching and foam rollering. I do think it helps, but I think it is good to find out which muscles need beefing up. Maybe a trip to the physio just to check muscle imbalance would help - I know all to well how frustrating injury is .

16/11/2012 at 20:47

Hey Rebecca, hmmmm am thinking the same, just been doing really short runs, but have a slight niggling feeling that all is not completely right.  Thinking of having a visit to a physio just to have a poke and prod at it to see what is what.  Though slightly worried about what she might say

Kaffeeg don't run if you are not right.... listen to me, I am a fine one to talk

jazz hand blue ribbon waves to everyone

23/11/2012 at 16:57

hi everyone, new to RW and been confirmed today for my first london marathon and first marathon ever. i have done many 10k,s and even the great scottish HM last year but this will be all new and the training will have to reach a whole new level.

I would be grateful for any tips and advice you could offer, even things like best place to stay in london to get to race start without too much stress.

Also sorry if i have gatecrashed or posted in the wrong section.

23/11/2012 at 21:09

bigeater hello..... you have come to the right place.  We were all absolutely terrified last year..... but fear not we all made it ...... yeah !!!!!  Kiwi is brilliant for advise and keeping us all in order, calming us down etc. But must admit that I will still probably be petrified again [ 2nd year in a row in the ballot for me......still can't believe it !!]

Waves furiously at everyone who is lurking

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.