VLM 2012 first timers???

4,801 to 4,820 of 5,406 messages
02/01/2013 at 14:32
Happy new year, just dropped in for old times sake. Good luck to everybody running this year. My experience last year (bumbling round really slowly) was one of the best days of my life, hang on in there!
Kaffeeg you were so supportive to us all last year, stick with it and remember that 99% of people who make the start line finish, therefore this is the hard bit! I don't think I would have made it this year, bath half will do me, the weather has been so pants no wonder the long runs have been tough.
I was desperate to run again but hubbie said no, appearantly I go a bit bonkers about it (moi!) so I have tried to frighten him by starting triathlon, I thought the idea of spending money would upset him more. Unfortunately it's not working so I may actually follow through with the threat, London triathlon anyone?
02/01/2013 at 16:58

Hi Emsi. Good luck with your Tri 's !!

02/01/2013 at 21:43

Hi anyone who is about, I have had this horrid cough that's been going around, but seems to be at last getting better.  Running tomorrow trying to get back on course with my running plan...... so annoying .   Happy New Year to everyone  and good luck with your triatholons.... great to hear from you

Kafeeg I know what you mean, I hate to admit it but I don't have the same motivation as I did last year.  I am hoping that as my training progresses I will feel better.  At the moment it feels I am so far behind everyone with their long runs... have almost gone back to square one again.... ah well plenty of time.

Kiwi I wrote some of my thoughts and fears a while back for you don't know if they were anygood or just my general ramblings !

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 21:50
02/01/2013 at 23:49
Happy New Year all! Emsi - good luck with the triathlon. I could imagine doing the cycling, but definitely not the swimming.

Big eater - if you have a look at the Hal Higdon marathon plans (I'm using one of the novice plans) (Google it to find them) you'll see very clearly what Kaffeeg was talking about with the step back weeks. A welcome relief!

Pip - hope you're feeling 100% very soon. Lots of horrid bugs around over Christmas

I can understand why Pip and Kaffeeg are feeling less motivated this time round. Its nothing new and we know how much hard work is involved. However, I've discovered through running that I'm much more stubborn that I ever knew I was. I don't feel like I did my marathon 'properly', and not just because I ran/walked. I didn't manage the training, and I don't think I did the distance justice. I'm excited now about having another chance to show what I can do (and I'm hoping it means a finish time that doesn't start with a 6 this time!)
02/01/2013 at 23:58

Black and Tabby yesssssssssssssss that's what I think, I felt that I didn't run as best as I was capable of last year I know I was injured, but was disappointed, so have this opportunity to do it again.  But just worried that am already behind on my plan... but I know plenty of time yet .... I am stubborn and will do it better this year.  Not taurus star sign by any chance are you ?? And maybe be we should try a duathlon running and cycling ...... I am scared of water all that splashing around is not for me

03/01/2013 at 08:58

Morning Pip! No I'm not Taurus, just stubborn about this running lark. And funnily enough for my lack of swimming abilty, I'm a Pisces! Husband would be delighted if I did more cycling (he loves cycling) but I'm not fussed about it. TYou have to go a long way and spend a long time in the saddle to make it worthwhile.

Oh bad news Pip - I seem to have inherited your stinky trainers Hadn't really noticed it until I had to dry them out in the little ensuite bathroon at my in-laws house last week. Pooooh!

And you're not behind are you??? I know I only started my plan last year on 2nd January? I'm trying to follow an 18 week plan this time - anything to give me a bit more of a steady build up - but if I keep on chopping and changing runs around like I have been doing I don't think its gong to work. Roll on Tuesday when kids go back to school and I can get back to normal!

03/01/2013 at 15:17

Hi Black and Tabby

my plan started on Dec 24th but I missed last week  but just had a look and I think supposed to have done 7 miles last Sunday and supposed to do 5 this Sunday, so maybe should do 7 instead this Sunday ???? Kiwi where are you starting to panic and only just started training again eeeek is there any hope for me ???

to pongy trainers especially in someone elses house phewey

03/01/2013 at 17:03

Pip - split the difference and do 6??! If you've not run for a while (cos I know you've been ill) I would do 5 or 6 - think of it as easing yourself back in. If you do do 7, take it really slowly. Even walk the last mile or so, no point in injuring yourself / exhausting yourself right at the start.

I missed my long run last week with Christmas / going away, but managed a few short runs just to keep my legs ticking over. I must try and fit a long run in this week - either by getting rid of son for a few hours tomorrow, or arguing with Mr B&T at the weekend (he wants to fit in a long bike ride as well).

Ah well - I'm sure we'll get there!

03/01/2013 at 17:41
Well I quite like the swimming, so if you fancy a team relay.......
04/01/2013 at 12:56

emsi that would be brilliant...... hmmm just all need to live close to each other.

Black and Tabby sounds like a good plan. Did just over 4 miles last night and actually overtook a young woman running ahead of me.  Must admit was determined i was going to pass her.   Well she did pass me as I was doing up my shoelaces.  Thought to myself 'hmmm not going to let you do that to me mrs !!' and do you know at that point I suddenly got my guttsiness and determination back and hate to say it but suddenly became very competative again !!!    felt blooming great !!  So 3 miles for me tonight.  London Marathon i am coming to get you ......... hopefully ! 

04/01/2013 at 19:04
That's more like it Pip!
05/01/2013 at 16:59

Good attitude PIp. Keep it up.

07/01/2013 at 18:52
Happy new year everyone. Think I've finally shaken off the flu and chest infection and have managed 3 short runs. 3.3miles on Friday, 4.2 miles on Saturday and 5.3 miles today. All enjoyable and now got my mo-jo back after a hellish festive period.
Hope everyone is fit and raring to go.
07/01/2013 at 22:05
Big eater - that's great news. Glad you're feeling better and getting back out running. Sadly we know all about bugs here - husband has been ill since last Thursday, and I've not been 100% either. So another long run missed (gah!) Hopefully all back to normal now, went out for a 4 mile run with the children as outriders this morning. Feel a bit achy now but hopefully a good night's sleep (and the children going back to school tomorrow will help!

Pip - still feeling good and positive?
08/01/2013 at 21:43

Black and Tabby, bigeater helloooooooooooooooooo oh for goodness sake started running again last week after my coughing episode then..... wait for it went on my 6 mile run on Sunday, did the first 3 miles no problem then owwwwwwwwwwwwchhhhhhh ! shooting pain by my hip down my leg.....think I have  for some reason sciatica absolutely no idea what I did to get it... thought you only had it if you were about 80 !!!! been reasured by a friend of mine who is not 80 and has had it as well, that it should go as quickly as it appeared !!! anyway ended up walking the rest of the way home !!!!! well 6 miles done anyway.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeek what next ??  So hopefully will get running again soon,getting slightly worried about the lack of mileage that I have done so far.  

Bigeater glad you are feeling better, what plan did you decide to follow, and B&T hope you are feeling better........can't believe we are putting ourselves through this again ........eeeek exciting isn't it

08/01/2013 at 22:43
Pip - have a look at piriformis syndrome eg here. http://m.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/get-over-it-piriformis-pain Its where the piriformis muscle is tight which means it squeezes the sciatic nerve. This gives you pain right down your sciatic nerve, just like sciatica. Ow! I've had it, and its not nice. However it does clear up quickly - I found some exercises on YouTube. Hope it clears up quickly!

Made it out for my 5 miles this morning. Felt hard at 3 miles, but good when it was over!
08/01/2013 at 22:45
Pip - think this is the video I watched with helpful exercises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk&feature=youtube_gdata_player. I still do the ankle on knee one, if I can't lie my leg flat I know I need to do it more!
09/01/2013 at 18:33
Did an enjoyable 6.22 miles today at average pace of 9.10 min miles. Pleased with the run as I chose quite a hilly route with some of it off road.
So four runs since Friday of 3.3, 4.2, 5.3,and 6.2 miles. Will do a easy 3-4 miles tomorrow while my daughter is in at gymnastics and rest Friday and Saturday before LSR on Sunday. Really enjoying my running just now, hope it continues!!!
Pip- the RW beginners plan is the one I'm relating too but adapting to suit me. I don't want to get too technical and will follow the 10% increase rule and build up my endurance and stamina that way. It's more important to me I enjoy my running and enjoy the VLM experience rather than worry about what time I do it in. Completing it and raising some money for breast cancer care will do for me.
09/01/2013 at 23:15
Big eater - hear hear to enjoying, completing and raising some money! Good ambition for your first marathon.

Nice 3 miles this morning for me, and just found and booked somewhere to stay for marathon weekend this evening (not easy!) Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow
11/01/2013 at 12:54

Hooray! Completed a full week's training at last! Long run of 10 miles this morning - was surprisingly sunny and had to abandon my lovely new jacket after 2 miles because I was too warm!

Kiwi - can I ask you a question? I haven't entered a HM as part of my training this time, is it worth it as part of my training? I've done lots of races now, so its not like I've never experienced a race before. If it is worth it, I've seen a HM now on 3/3 that looks good (in the New Forest) and I might enter it. However I'd need to rearrange my training as my plan has me doing a LSR of 18M that week. Can you help me decide how to rearrange my LSRs to accomodate it?  Thank you!

Pip - how're you now?

Bigeater - how long is your run on Sunday? Hope its not disrupted by the snow!!

Kaffeeg - how you feeling now? And how's your running going?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.